(Topic ID: 148176)

1980 Gottlieb Star race system 80 - opinions?

By dasvis

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a chance to pick one of these up, what do you think, good or bad on this title?

#2 8 years ago

Looks like it's pretty rare...870 made. I'd snag it for the right price.

Some gameplay videos: https://www.google.com/search?q=gottlieb+star+race&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=gottlieb+star+race&tbm=vid

#3 8 years ago

Anytime you can get a rare game for a good price, my advice is to always get it.

At worst, you sell it for what you paid.

At best, you have a great, rare game.

Marcus

#4 8 years ago

Star Race is a fantastic game. Get it!

#5 8 years ago

This is one of those games that I've really really tried hard to like, but just doesn't do it for me. It has a lot of features on the playfield, is as wide as the wide bodies ever got and yet when I play it I'm always underwhelmed. I do think the art is super cool though, in a larger collection it may be worth picking up if the price is right. If space is at a premium for you or if the price isn't great, I'd pass.

#6 8 years ago

When Pascal Janin came to visit a few years ago, he showed me that you can put a large capacitor on the bridge rectifier for the 24VDC line on my Star Race. That livened it up a lot, it was like the game was on steroids and I feared for all the plastic parts on the playfield. However. when I removed the cap, it was real boring afterwards.

Steve

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

This is one of those games that I've really really tried hard to like, but just doesn't do it for me. It has a lot of features on the playfield, is as wide as the wide bodies ever got and yet when I play it I'm always underwhelmed. I do think the art is super cool though, in a larger collection it may be worth picking up if the price is right. If space is at a premium for you or if the price isn't great, I'd pass.

Good points - The pin was not working properly when I looked at it, so I could not play it.
I checked out a utube vid of the gameplay. I don't know, the "space age" sounds might just drive me to drink after a while.
(hmm, maybe not such a negative)
But the artwork on the backglass was super cool & it was in decent condition, well other than not being able to start a game. No doubt will need all of the typical system 80 fixes.

#8 8 years ago

Well, if you don't want it, give me the info on it

The only thing is that it's unfortunate that I'm over 2500 miles away...

#9 8 years ago

Awesome backglass! I had one for a while as well as playing it on location back in the day... fun game!

2 months later
#10 8 years ago

I had one for awhile too. It's kind of tough to spell Star Race with the Vari-targets. The artwork is awesome! PAPA now has mine so you can play it there. I'd get it again for the right price, it was fun to play!

#11 8 years ago

Cool theme, great art. Not a lot of easy or safe shots. Frustrating, but rewarding if you can manage to max out the multipliers. Background sounds are unique for each ball, very cool, but repetitive and can get annoying. No other game quite like it.

#12 8 years ago

I played one at LAX. It's a huge game, makes me wonder how heavy it is. Very slow though. It's not a favorite but for the right price, I would buy it just to look at.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
Decorations
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1980-gottlieb-star-race-system-80-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.