20190206_200119 (resized).jpg
20190131_073505 (resized).jpg
20190131_073458 (resized).jpg
20190131_073501 (resized).jpg
20190131_073451 (resized).jpg
20190131_073455 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased an ASM through pinside and plan on cleaning the playfield before creating a custom playfield protector (from 0.02" PET-G). The playfield shows it's age and history with all the ball swirls and cracks. Overall, I'm satisfied with the playfield having most of it's art intact. Before beginning the playfield cleaning process, I made sure to read VID's extremely long (and extremely helpful) post on cleaning playfields. From what I gathered, the playfield should be cleaned with as little force (effort?) as required. Naphtha will be my friend along with some pre- and post- naphtha vacuuming. I bought those nifty vac attachments from amazon for around $10. I've "cleaned" playfields in the past using Novus 2, but I'm not so sure that's the route I want to take on ASM, especially given the paint condition. I'm just hoping for any tips or tricks, expectations, any feedback or recommendations you guys have before I dive into this project. My DE tmnt playfield was cleaned using novus 2 on mylar to shine it up, light magic eraser with 91% on wood/paint exposed areas, and the playfield turned out looking sharp, especially with playfield protector on top.

Thanks!

20190131_073451 (resized).jpg20190131_073451 (resized).jpg20190131_073455 (resized).jpg20190131_073455 (resized).jpg20190131_073458 (resized).jpg20190131_073458 (resized).jpg20190131_073501 (resized).jpg20190131_073501 (resized).jpg20190131_073505 (resized).jpg20190131_073505 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Sounds like you're on the right track!

If your going to try something a little dicey, make sure you just do it somewhere hidden and won't show. Start there and work your way into highly visible areas

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Northerndude! I will test questionable methods undernearh the apron. Stay warm up there in the north.

#4 5 years ago

I used naphtha on mine... needed to scrub pretty hard to see old wax end up on the cloth. I tried a mr. Clean magic sponge and bailed in about 30 seconds ... too risky for me and I didn't like the white dust.

I wasn't able to get the ball swirls out with just naphtha.... again not willing to dig into finish cause I didn't want to add any clearcoat after. I also don't wear my reading glasses when I play so don't see them anyway waha!

I also found that cleaning showed up a bit of planking I had that wasn't very noticeable before. Not sure if I just cleaned up the lines so they were more noticeable or if the moisture itself aggravated the planking that was there.

All said and done it did look cleaner and nicer with just the naphtha clean and some new wax.

I also replace the metal acorns with white rubber barrel nuts which also brightened it up. (But kept the metal ones for the die hard purists just in case I ever sell it... not!)

Oh yeah... you gotta buy some more spider web drop targets

My 2 cents!

#5 5 years ago

Thanks srcdude! The condition of the paint doesn't bother me too much. I just want it to be relatively clean for my custom PET-G protector. As long as naptha does a decent job removing some, or most of the surface grime, I'm good.

Yeah, I bought a new set of drop targets from the guy who sold me this machine. I'm planning to clean the playfield and add new rubber rings, new back glass, and the custom playfield protector, before adding the new targets. Also, I'll be cleaning all edge connector contacts, recharge display one (faded), refurbish both pop bumber boards, and replace any caps or diodes that need replacing on the power supply. Wish me luck!

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

Fyi - I need to be careful when using the vacuum/brush attachments. A small fleck of paint at top of the 3X insert vanished into the vacuum. Now I'm paranoid about using microfiber and naphtha. Maybe I'm worrying too much. Wish me luck. I just want this playfield paint to stay intact for my new PET-G custom protector.

20190206_200119 (resized).jpg20190206_200119 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1980-gottlieb-amazing-spider-man-playfield-cleaning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.