You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210613_061303 (resized).jpg
20210613_053752 (1) (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

All,

Help greatly appreciated. The "Crank shaft" broke in my 1980 black knight. Bought a new one and installed and now flipper isn't working right and shakes. I know I have to adjust the EOS switch but can't figure out what is wrong. Please see 1 minute video below. Thanks!

#2 11 months ago

Just keep adjusting it.
Use the right side (the working side ) for reference.

#3 11 months ago

If you hold that switch open or hold a piece of paper between the contacts and then hit the flipper button, do you still get good 'hold' power to the flipper? Or no power at all? Can't be sure from the vid but it's acting like the switch is cutting the only power that the flipper is getting like an on/off switch, instead of the switch merely opening the main winding but leaving the 'hold' winding powered. Especially since you say it does same thing with switch adjusted either left or right. It was working correctly before and you only reflowed the coil lugs, correct?

#4 11 months ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If you hold that switch open or hold a piece of paper between the contacts and then hit the flipper button, do you still get good 'hold' power to the flipper? Or no power at all? Can't be sure from the vid but it's acting like the switch is cutting the only power that the flipper is getting like an on/off switch, instead of the switch merely opening the main winding but leaving the 'hold' winding powered. Especially since you say it does same thing with switch adjusted either left or right. It was working correctly before and you only reflowed the coil lugs, correct?

That sounds exactly like what is going on but I still don't know what to look for or how to fix it.

It the EOS switch is so far to the right the crank shaft doesn't hit it, the flipper flips and holds, but I know if I leave it like this I will burn out the coil.

If the EOS switch is set up so it is hit during a flip, the power is lost, but then when the EOS closes, it flips again, making the flipper flutter uncontrollably.

I have made no changes other than switching out the shaft I have circled. I am at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting.

In other words I have "Flip" but not "hold" power based off of the logic you are describing.

Thanks all!

20210613_053752 (1) (resized).jpg
#5 11 months ago

Is the part making contact with the EOS grounded ? Covered with black tape on the tip?

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Is the part making contact with the EOS grounded ? Covered with black tape on the tip?

Yes

20210613_061303 (resized).jpg
#7 11 months ago

Check the coil windings for continuity. The heavier "flip" winding may be good but the "hold" winding (the smaller gauge wires going to the lugs) may be loose or broken.

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from nplg:

Check the coil windings for continuity. The heavier "flip" winding may be good but the "hold" winding (the smaller gauge wires going to the lugs) may be loose or broken.

Sounds logical, but it seems to be correct. I am ordering a new coil to try. Thanks!

#9 11 months ago

You could also try swapping with another coil to see if the problem moves with it.

I'm in agreement though, that behavior is typical of a broken hold winding on the coil. You could also try comparing resistance readings between the problem coil and the good ones. You may have to open the eos switch to get accurate readings (or remove the wiring from the coil).

You might even be able to find the very-thin coil wire broken off from a solder lug on the coil, though it's not always where they break. If you do see it and it's loose, you may be able to solder it back onto the lug.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

You could also try swapping with another coil to see if the problem moves with it.
I'm in agreement though, that behavior is typical of a broken hold winding on the coil. You could also try comparing resistance readings between the problem coil and the good ones. You may have to open the eos switch to get accurate readings (or remove the wiring from the coil).
You might even be able to find the very-thin coil wire broken off from a solder lug on the coil, though it's not always where they break. If you do see it and it's loose, you may be able to solder it back onto the lug.

Took it off, removed the coil tape.. all looked good. Reattached wire to ends and still no luck. Hoping new coil will fix. Reluctant to move off of working flipper. Thanks! I will report back next week when new coil is here.

#11 11 months ago

Bend the end of the longer leaf towards the flipper pawl so it travels further on contact

#12 11 months ago

Thanks everyone! It is working 100%

After messing with it for an hour I gave in and ordered a new coil and it works perfectly now.

Thinking back on it, I think I know how I messed up. In addition to replacing the broken "crank shaft" I also replaced the coil sleeve. From the looks of it the sleeve had never been replaced. I spent 20 or 30 minutes scraping out the bits of the coil sleeve that had fused to the inside of the coil. I am guessing that in the process of removing this I inadvertently punctured the inside of the coil and broke the wire. This would result in the exact symptoms I experienced. Thanks for all the troubleshooting help and its great to have one of my favorite games back up and running!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
$ 1,059.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!