IMG_3443 (resized).jpg
IMG_3439 (resized).jpg
IMG_2539 (resized).JPG
IMG_2553 (resized).JPG
IMG_2406 (resized).jpg
IMG_2405 (resized).jpg
IMG_2404 (resized).jpg
IMG_2403 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Manny65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Fairly productive day - got the lower cab all torn down and ready for sanding this week. Have a few dings and gouges to repair, but nothing major. This is my 5th cabinet restoration and by far the most structurally sound of them all before starting repairs.
[quoted image] [quoted image] [quoted image] [quoted image]
Will also begin working on refreshing the Tilt Board and Transformer Board this week as well. Sorting through the metal bits this weekend, picking out the ones that will be polished in the tumblers and which ones I'll be sending out to be powder coated (lockdown bar, legs, and side rails for sure).
[quoted image]
One other thing I've noticed while tearing down this cabinet is how original everything is....no hack jobs and most of all, all of the screws seem to be the "right" screws. Usually this is where you find a hodge-podge of different/non-matching (or missing) screws holding stuff in that have found their way into a cabinet over 40+ years. The only bad thing I've found is some dangerously frayed pieces and sections of the ground braid. Looking forward to getting a nice, new and shiny ground braid in after the cabinet gets the Pinball Pimp re-paint treatment.

You do your cabinet tear down in a carpeted room? Tell me you at least put drop sheets down?? LOL

Cabinet look pretty solid, any repairs needed before getting the paint job?

#46 1 year ago

Yep the damage on the back of the headbox is disappointing - repairable yes, but you shouldn't have to be fixing it in the first place.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Time to knock out the back. Staples are removed from the label, but that thing is stuck stuck stuck....must've been adhesive, too.
[quoted image]
The extent of the gouge damage really becomes clear after stripping the paint off. These are deep....will likely bondo the back. Previous owner must've set up this game against a wall of nails at some point.
[quoted image]
Going to have to scrape off the label....a bit tedious, but it's coming up with patience.
[quoted image]

Thanks for taking the time to show each of the steps. Looks easier than sanding it off

1 week later
#63 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Got the primer coat down yesterday, and knocked it down with 220 today for a nice smooth finish. Hit it with compressed air inside and out, vacuumed out the interior, a quick wipe down with naphtha, and I was all set to put down the black base color when the rain clouds rolled in.
I'll have to pick this up during the week. Meanwhile, I have some smaller metal bits in the tumblers, some larger metal bits out to be powder coated, and I've got to rewire the trough PCBs on my STTNG and get rid of a previous owner's hack job that I should have fixed when I got the machine a couple years ago.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Coming along nicely mate

1 month later
#66 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Well....life gets in the way of pinball, doesn't it? I've had a hellava 40 days since my last update:
- Picked up two new engineering teams at my job resulting in a bunch more hours to get people acclimated and projects organized.
- My mother-in-law entered hospice and a couple weeks later passed away - spent several days in VA with family.
- I got knocked down for a couple of weeks with Covid. Only 3 really bad days, and the rest of the time I was just too exhausted and too apathetic to do anything.
On top of all that....I had one side of the cabinet stenciled already and during my pinball "downtown" over the last month a rack of shelves collapsed in the garage with some contents hitting the cabinet and causing some damage to the stencil paint, base paint, and wood. Instead of starting over on that side, I chose to strip only the damaged area, repair that wood, repaint that section, and make my own stencil to complete the artwork (fortunately, it was just a portion of a yellow stripe, not very graphically intricate).
I'm not very happy with the cabinet result. There are a few places where some edges aren't sharp - but as always, "perfect" is the enemy of "good" so I'm going to just let it go. The "reworked" area where I fixed the damage has a slightly different shade of black despite using the same primer and paint. In a not-so-bright room (like my game room) it will go unnoticed, but if you shine a flashlight on it from a certain angle you can see it. Again....I'm going to let that go.....it's time to move on.
Got a couple of minor touch up areas to do (a little yellow overspray on black due to a rip in my wrap mask) and then the cabinet goes downstairs into the rec room for the next phase. Before moving on to the backbox (which needs all the HW removed, paint stripped, and some wood repair), I need to freshen up the tilt board and transformer board and get the bottom cabinet reassembled.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry for the loss - condolences to you and your family. You've definitely had a rough time of late.

I totally understand wanting something to be perfect and can often get stuck because I don't want to accept good, but it sounds like you've got over that one and you've done a great job in repairing the artwork. Hope you've kicked any post-covid symptoms, I had a lingering cough for several weeks after but have heard of others who really struggle with brain fog. Anyway look forward to seeing the resto progress.

All the best mate

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Time for the tilt board. Going to run some of the metal bits thru the tumblers tho they don't look too bad as-is. I just noticed the cap on the bell switch has a leg broken - will need to replace that, tho I never had a problem with the bell before. The wire harness is going thru the dishwasher now and I'll be sanding and repainting the board later today. Tilt board build date: March 4, 1981!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting that Black Knight which was released in Nov 1980 has a bell, while Firepower (Feb 1980) has a knocker. I’m not overly familiar when features (like the std knocker) became common place, but would have thought having no bell would have minimised parts costs … maybe some of the major distributors or operators didn’t like the knocker??

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Finished refreshing the tilt board today. The metal bits turned out nice - overnight in the tumblers, a little Flitz and polishing by hand, and things look pretty good. Wire loom no longer leaves dirt and grime on my hands after a trip thru the dishwasher. I was going to put it in the cabinet tonight, but I just realized I don't have enough new grounding braid length to complete this job and that needs to be done before the tilt and transformer boards go in. The red should look nice against the black interior.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep that's a great vibrant red - what brand and colour did you use as I'm wanting to do something similar on my Firepower?

1 month later
#94 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I had a wild idea, inspired by the "Meteor" restore I did last year. Meteor has the "Meteor" text/logo on the back of the backbox, and even tho no one really sees it since the pin is usually up against the wall, I thought it looked cool. So I traced the "Black Knight" text/logo from the coin door and made my own vinyl adhesive masking.
[quoted image]
I figured if it turned out like crap, I'd just repaint it black and move on. Turned out good I think, so I'm going to keep it!
[quoted image]
Overall, I'm pleased with how the backbox turned out....here are some final shots after a few touchups:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Next up: create reproduction stickers/labels for the inside of the backbox.

That looks awesome - love the custom job on the back. Did you finish it off with a clear coat? And was that just a single coat?

#101 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Big milestone this evening - the backbox is installed on the cabinet!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Next up - I need to tear down and clean the coin door. Likely will start that work next weekend.

Nice work mate - looks awesome! I'd be saying bugger cleaning the coin door, let's get the PF back in and see how she plays and sounds ... then again you might not get back to doing the door given you have the next project waiting on the sideline. Is the family happy to be getting their home theatre / games room back ... even if for a short time??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Tools
Pincoder Store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Manny65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1980-black-knight-player-s-condition-to-something-better?tu=Manny65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.