Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    battery terminal damage_2 (resized).jpg
    battery terminal damage_1 (resized).jpg
    SI_Battery_2021_12_22 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Billc479.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago

Pinwiki should also tell you how to verify the solenoids would fire if they are wired correctly. You basically ground the tab to verify the solenoid fires. I recommend running the self test first and see if any/all solenoids fire. You should be able to find the manual and schematics on IPDB.org

#9 2 years ago

Ciccoball - Following or participating in this forum, from my perspective, is always informative and welcomed. I read all of the new topics, and if one interests me, I'll read the thread and possibly comment. I only comment if I feel it would be helpful. As with any forum there are always going to be a few that abuse and ridicule, but those are far fewer on this website than on others.

Don't worry about just reading posts - I don't think anyone is going to call you a stalker. The more posts you read, the more you will learn, especially in the tech sections.

Like suggested, try to get the machine near you so can keep the troubleshooting going when you're in the mood to work on it. SI is an enjoyable game for me, so I really like seeing them restored into usable condition.

One other thing - this website is full of helpful people who all contribute to the tribal knowledge of pinball and pinball repair. There are no monetary rewards for following/reading posts. (At least none that I have found )

#11 2 years ago

The link to the video tells me its private and I'm not allowed to view it.

#15 2 years ago

Your CPU is booting up in the video. As mentioned earlier, verify the 1 amp SB under the playfield is good.

After that, run the solenoid test to verify all the solenoids work.

#17 2 years ago

OK - the closeup was too close, but I am guessing the corrosion has migrated across the board and into some of the components on the MPU board. If so, at a minimum, check the connector J4 that goes to the MPU. Chances are really good those pins inside the connector are corroded as well.

Make sure you get all of the corrosion off of the board, including under components. If you don't get it all, it seems like the corrosion keeps growing with time, much like pinball machine collecting! Seriously though, make sure you get all the corrosion, or you will be visiting the issue again.

Keep us informed.

#19 2 years ago

Rickoshay - that's what happens after posting late at night. I forgot about that post. OP should also check all the pins in the connector on the right hand side of the MPU. It looks like they have been attacked, too.

4 months later
    #23 1 year ago

Ciccoball - welcome back.

There are no reed switches on my machine. Regardless, I’ve attached pics of my right upper flipper wiring. Let me know if you need more.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #25 1 year ago

I’ll check the coil tonight. The flipper seems to work fine, so I had not bothered to look at it.

I’ll also look at the EOS - this machine has had a rough previous life, so it doesn’t surprise me that some stuff is wrong.

Thanks for the heads up.

#29 1 year ago

Ciccoball - If you have an orange glow at the bottom of the displays, you know they are getting the high voltage needed. The voltage may be off spec, but that's a different issue.

If you don't have a glow, check the fuse on the SDB and verify you have the correct voltages. If you have the correct voltages, you likely have a wiring issue. Bad voltages, you have a SDB problem.

Rikoshay is saying the same thing, and as he suggested, pics can help, but only if you want to get this completely operational. I suspect once you get the machine going, sometime in the future, the owners will decide they want to see scores.

#31 1 year ago

Ciccoball - Yes, its a 4148. I could not get a good pic. Per the schematics, the switch diodes are supposed to be 1N4148, and the coil diodes are supposed to be 1N4004.

Like I mentioned to Rikoshay, this machine has had a hard past life. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the loose coil - the problem (I think) is the wrong coil stop is being used. It's a lot thinner compared to the left flipper.

1 week later
    #33 1 year ago

I was referring to my SI. It’s working, but every time I go under the hood, I find another questionable repair.

We have that many machines because desire drives you to stupidity. There were several titles in a bunch of machines in an operators old barn that I wanted, the family said it was all or nothing, so I (we) got them all.

As far as your problem goes, check to make sure your end of stroke switch (Es?) are gapped correctly and making solid contact.

If you’re not sure, while flipper is fluttering, push a blade on the EOS switch and see if it stops.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Billc479.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1980-bally-space-invaders-us-ver-electronics-repair?tu=Billc479 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.