By justininia

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_000099.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justininia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Good day to everyone.

I have a 1979 Williams Flash that I have been restoring over the last two years. I finally got to the plug it in stage today only to have it blow out fuses in a stand alone holder. The fuse holds up for about 5 seconds during machine power up before blowing. During that time, I can see that some of the backbox lights are lit but the majority are not. Tracing the wire also brings it back to that same spot.

The holder did not have a fuse when I got it. I figured it was the F4 lamp fuse, a SFE-20 fuse. I put in a new fuse and lost two before deciding I had better see what the issue was. All of the wiring looks good with no noticeable shorts or missing parts. I am not too excited to try and meter it without a fuse in place.

I am hoping someone recognizes the fuse and has an idea as to what type belongs in the holder.

WP_000099.jpgWP_000099.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Premature "post" clicked...

The fuse in question is that loner on the brown wafer board.

Nothing in the wiring diagrams to point to the fuse specs. Hopefully someone has an idea and can help me out. I really don't want to try and guess the right amperage.

Thanks for reading,
Justin

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for all the tips.

It is definitely a short but I haven't found where yet. I isolated the offending wire in the circuit with a clamp meter. The problem is causing a draw of about 26A and it isn't in the backbox but with one of the playfield lampholders (I think). It looks to be affecting the outside ring of lamps which means taking off the plastics and doing exactly what barakandl recommends.

I love electrical shorts.

At least the local Radioshack carries the fuses.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justininia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-williams-flash-blowing-fuse-for-backbox-lamps?tu=justininia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.