Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bamaro
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 36 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC05633.JPG
DSC05635.JPG
DSC05561.JPG
DSC05554.JPG
100_9924-633.JPG
100_9924-769.JPG
100_9924-891.JPG
100_9924-877.JPG
100_9924-45.JPG
100_9927.JPG
100_9925.JPG
100_9924.JPG
DSC05538.JPG
DSC05524.JPG
DSC05519.JPG
DSC05518.JPG

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

Does the milkiness of the clear in places that got a lot of it (cupped inserts etc) go away as it cures, or is that just a downside of filling with clear?

Water based polys are not as transparent, vibrant, or as hard wearing as 2 part auto clear.

It goes on milky and then clears as it dries, but the thicker it is, the more you see the inherent milky-ness.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

but the thicker it is, the more you see the inherent milky-ness

I was hopeful over time it would completely clear up. It has improved somewhat. Should I not get my hopes up?

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I was hopeful over time it would completely clear up. It has improved somewhat. Should I not get my hopes up?

You can see where you pull a dried ring of it out of the can lid, that even a year latter, it is still milky.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

even a year latter, it is still milky.

Bummer. I guess I just have to learn the hard way. Thanks for the info Vid.

#55 7 years ago

I t really looks great from the early pictures

#56 7 years ago

Great job!

I have a pf or two that I want to clear, but they aren't worth going the auto clear route. Is it possible to just use one or to coats of the water based clear and will it still be somewhat glossy - or should I just wax the heck out of it?

#57 7 years ago

really nice job your doing. looks like your having a good time.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Great job!
I have a pf or two that I want to clear, but they aren't worth going the auto clear route. Is it possible to just use one or to coats of the water based clear and will it still be somewhat glossy - or should I just wax the heck out of it?

The water based clear dulls the colors.

Just wax it with Blitz and don't worry about it.

#59 7 years ago

Wow. I just saw Kruzman's thread on his clear coated Paragon. Now that is nice! ...really puts my work into perspective.

I always think 'if I had to do it over again...' In this case, I should have taken more time between coats of clear to let it cure. I should have used less in the inserts - maybe take two or three attempts to fill 'em - giving plenty of time between to cure. Also, I should have spent more than 30 or 40 minutes 'polishing'. When I read Ron's thread and he mentions taking five hours to polish (and seeing the results), I realize I cut too many corners.

Oh well, in the end I should still have a very nice playing Flash. ...and I'm always learning a few things along the way.

The last hurdle I'm facing is trying to track down a short in the switch matrix. Darn thing keeps blowing out column three. I'm sure it's in the pops somewhere. Once that's done I'll pay some attention to the cabinet, get her tweaked, tuned and move her into the house. I'll post some gameplay footage here eventually.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I always think 'if I had to do it over again...'

That's how we all learn.

Sometimes I think back at quick fixes I did when I was an operator and cringe.

If I live another 10 years I'll probably look back at stuff I do today and think the same thing.

#61 7 years ago

After working on it almost all day yesterday, I finally found the short causing column 3 of the switch matrix to blow. Here's the thread if your interested: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-please-strange-short-in-switch-matrix

I also disassembled, cleaned and added new decals to the drop targets. Despite a couple horseshoe wipes missing their contacts, after cleaning they still work. I'm VERY HAPPY to report that Flash is now working 100%. Every switch, every lamp - everything is tuned and working perfectly. The pops, slings and flippers are snappy and fast. Flash has some sentimental value to me, and I'm very happy to have a great looking and playing example.

DSC05554.JPG
DSC05561.JPG
DSC05635.JPG
DSC05633.JPG

#62 7 years ago

Did you buy those drop target decals, or make them? I need to replace mine.

#63 7 years ago

Wow.

#64 7 years ago

Great job! I hope one comes up for sale in Denver soon. Played this one with my dad quite a bit back in the 80's.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

Did you buy those drop target decals, or make them?

I bought 'em. Thanks guys.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

After working on it almost all day yesterday, I finally found the short causing column 3 of the switch matrix to blow. Here's the thread if your interested: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-please-strange-short-in-switch-matrix
I also disassembled, cleaned and added new decals to the drop targets. Despite a couple horseshoe wipes missing their contacts, after cleaning they still work. I'm VERY HAPPY to report that Flash is now working 100%. Every switch, every lamp - everything is tuned and working perfectly. The pops, slings and flippers are snappy and fast. Flash has some sentimental value to me, and I'm very happy to have a great looking and playing example.

DSC05561.JPG 60 KB

I lost a contact on one of mine and I fixed it by using a drop of solder in its place

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Did you see this?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-those-sliding-horseshoe-contacts-in-williams-drop-targets

#68 7 years ago

I had the same problem with drop targets. One would stick when hit and delay going down for about 2 seconds. Also, it seemed like solenoid didn't have the juice to reset the targets and they finally all stayed down. I took drop targets apart and cleaned , which was a first for me. Works fine for me now and if I can do it, anyone can.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Did you see this?

I did, but it looks like he's still working on it. It might be a good option down the road. For now, all my drops are working fine so I'm a happy camper.

#70 7 years ago

Those little drop target assemblies are a PITA to disassemble and clean.. AND THEN get them to score just right upon reassembly.

#71 7 years ago

Did the pin have a pf glass? I just got my Gorgar up and running (now that school is out I'm able to gun it) and will get a new pf glass. Just wondering, it caught my attention that I didn't see one on your pin in any of the pics. Perhaps you took it off for picture purposes.

-Rev

#72 7 years ago

WOW! Just jumping in here....and going from picture one to these last few is an amazing transformation! Nice job saving a great machine from the dumpster!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

Did the pin have a pf glass? I

As advertised - no, it did not. It also didn't have any legs. However, when I went to pick it up, the seller was nice enough to grab a plyfield glass and some legs off another game for me. Even after paying him some extra for that, I still saved a bunch over what I would have paid for new glass and legs.

Quoted from jodini:

Nice job saving a great machine from the dumpster!

Thanks! But to be fair, I'm not sure if this was headed to the dump or not. The operator I purchased it from said he wanted to fix it up someday, but never got around to it. Regardless, I do like to think I 'saved it', as now it's looking really good and playing better.

2 months later
#74 6 years ago

Wow looks absolutely fantastic! Love the blue led's and the playfield is fantastic! I put mine on hold for awhile but am starting up again. Wished you lived closer, i would pay you to do my playfield

1 month later
#75 6 years ago

Hello FLASH fans, I have a question regarding the playfield plastics. I am in the process of doing a garage resto myself and the plastics are buckled. Is there a way I can flatten them?. Also, I have replaced all the backboard 44's with LED's but when I turn it on there is only a couple that are full bright and the rest seem to flicker realy softly.
Any help would be gratefull. Regards Julls

#76 6 years ago

Fun read, thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Julls:

I have a question regarding the playfield plastics. I am in the process of doing a garage resto myself and the plastics are buckled. Is there a way I can flatten them?

Yes, I've heard of people putting the plastics between two sheets of glass (or two books) and using heat to flatten them. Some use a toaster oven, and some just put them in the hot sun. Obviously, you want to be very careful not to heat them too much, or they could melt into a big mess.

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Fun read, thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!!

If anyone is interested, I posted more pics and commentary of the restoration on my website: http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Flash2_2013.htm

Enjoy~!

#78 6 years ago

Thanks SunKing for the suggestions regading the playfield plastics.

#79 6 years ago

Congrats on a great resto job. You took a very sad looking machine and turned it into a really nice pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Summerville, SC
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 102.00
$ 11.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 122.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside