Backup - OEM Looking (resized).jpg
IMG_5038 (resized).jpg
IMG_5042 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1068 (resized).JPG
IMG_4679 (resized).jpg
IMG_4678 (resized).jpg
IMG_4677 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider play_pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago

I don’t think it matters what it’s “for”, but I can tell you from my own swapping of transformers that the 16B-6 (MPU-200) will give you the most oomph in your flippers (all coils, for that matter). I was actually a doubter because I had built my QS with a 16B-3 (MPU-100) donor and figured it was purist nitpicking but I decided to swap in a 16B-6 from another game the extra power is noticeable.

My Galaxy might run on a 16B-3 now

Anyway, following your thread @mathazar, looking forward to seeing your progress!

1 week later
#30 2 years ago

What kind of media did you use?

2 weeks later
#65 2 years ago

I recall reading about that missing post dimple in another thread and the consensus was it’s supposed to be there.

1 week later
#104 2 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I’m gonna need it

DE03611C-348E-435B-9ED4-9FF8B3CF68BD (resized).jpegDE03611C-348E-435B-9ED4-9FF8B3CF68BD (resized).jpeg
6 months later
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Sadly, my Meteor is now "on the lift" in need of repairs. Last night, the middle drop targets on the METEOR bank starting falling on their own intermittently during coil resets. After attempting numerous adjustments (I thought maybe I might need to add locktite to the collar screws securing the bank shaft), I decided to disassemble the bank and have a closer look. Sure enough, the shaft is bent on the ends (one end, the coil end, way more than the other). I did not notice this during the restore when I had everything apart and it's pretty obvious now, so I think these bends are new. Perhaps I caused it by setting the reset bar too high, causing undue strain on the shaft every time the coil fires and fully plunges.
Anyway...at first I thought "no problem" because I recalled having a new spare classic Stern shaft in my pile of restoration parts. My thoughts on rebuilding the bank were quickly dashed when I realized the shaft I had was for a 5-bank classic Stern, not 6-bank. Oy. What's worse....I spent a couple hours this morning scouring my usual haunts online for pinball parts and while I can find 2-bank, 3-bank, 4-bank, 5-bank, and even 7-bank shafts I cannot find a 6-bank. Another scary thought....the 1979 and 1980 Stern Parts Catalogs I have to not have any assembly drawings of the 6-bank found in Meteor (3 and 5 banks, but nothing else). They list the 5-bank shaft part as #2A-255-5 and the 3-bank as #2A-255-3, so I have to assume the 6-bank would be #2A-255-6.
Anyone have a source? I could always try to bend my original back, but I'm afraid it would make it worse or even break off one or both ends.[quoted image]

I have a Meteor bank that I am robbing the memory coils out of for another project, rendering it useless as a 6-bank for any other purpose (beyond a home brew, which I don't have any plans for currently). The rest of the unit could be cut down to a smaller size, where are you finding the 3 bank shafts? Wheels are turning in my brain that the rest of the unit could be cut in half and turned into a couple more 3-banks. I've got enough 3-banks for all my needs but I know others need them.

#203 2 years ago

I'll PM you some pics of the 6-bank bar I have when I get home.

#205 2 years ago

Fair point from @slochar. The inset groove isn't really all that necessary. The set screws are doing all the work. The e-clips are kind of redundant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider play_pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stern-meteor-project?tu=play_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.