Backup - OEM Looking (resized).jpg
IMG_5038 (resized).jpg
IMG_5042 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1068 (resized).JPG
IMG_4679 (resized).jpg
IMG_4678 (resized).jpg
IMG_4677 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 2 years ago

It might be easier just to make new rails than to recondition the old ones. You can get poplar stock (not as hard as oak, but it doesn't get much abuse) in almost the perfect dimension at your local home depot. You just have to run them through a table saw to rip them to the right height.

I made my own for my Meteor restoration. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201#post-6308372

IMG_2088 (resized).JPGIMG_2088 (resized).JPG
#35 2 years ago

One last thing, if you are going to have your playfield recleared, you might want to take the opportunity to have someone route out your #3 drop target hole a little larger. CPR made it too small (0.31" smaller than my original playfield) and it can snag the new larger sized new drop targets.

IMG_2081 (resized).JPGIMG_2081 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2085 (resized).JPGIMG_2085 (resized).JPG
#37 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Man, seeing these side by side really makes me sad for how crap-tastic of a job CPR did with these. I'm sending my friend's CPR Gold off for decals and then clear in the next few days and SURE it will look miles better than it does now when we swap it, but yikes at a lot of the artifacts on the new PF. It's almost like CPR just didn't care enough to do it properly. Really sad.

I was surprised to find that gold-ish outline around the purple/magenta is original to the game, it was just completed faded to nothing on my old machine except for under some of the posts.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Say *W H A T*? Where'd you read that? Send a link over if you don't mind; I just assumed that was lumped in with the rest of the garbage from CPR.

Sun fade does some crazy stuff. I can see it on other spots of my old playfield, but here are some good comparison photos.

54891FE6-2273-4F6C-B050-9F833D00D75E (resized).jpeg54891FE6-2273-4F6C-B050-9F833D00D75E (resized).jpeg883CF196-79D2-4DFE-B478-7246BB073C1B (resized).jpeg883CF196-79D2-4DFE-B478-7246BB073C1B (resized).jpeg
#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Score Decal Update:
Got the waterslide. During mid-application, the waterslide broke into two pieces as I was removing the backing. I got the two pieces lined up pretty well, I think....the break occurred at the 1st zero in the 2000 score for the 4th target. There's a small blemish on that "0", but it's only noticeable if you zoom in fairly closely. You won't notice it from the player's position, even if you're looking for it.
As for clear coating - I've reviewed several options, none are appealing to me. I could send it off for a pro to do it for $500 and I won't see it for months. I talked to a couple local auto painters, one who has done this sort of thing before and 3 that haven't. I could do this for $150-$200 but I'd have to block sand it down myself, let it cure for months on end, and who knows how it will turn out (and these autoshop paint guys won't guarantee this kind of work...I'm on my own if it cracks, clouds, or is sprayed improperly). And I certainly don't want someone shooting a playfield who's never done it before. Lastly....I could do it myself. I'll still spend months curing and sanding, and this after I invest some decent $$$ into proper safety gear, air compressor, gun, pop-up paint room with ventilation, etc. etc. Not to mention I don't want to mess with stuff that toxic in the first place. All of this just to add the missing score numbers.
Instead of all that, I could simply use a strip of mylar, which I seriously considered.
The clearcoat purists are going to shudder at this, but, in the end I decided to use automobile clear touch up. I already had it, and I used it last year to protect the black paint I put on the saucer in my Mata Hari hardtop installation. With over 500 plays, it's held up perfectly.
So with this auto clear touch up, you apply it with a brush. I put on a few very thin coats, several hours apart. I may put on a couple more just to safe. If you look at it close up and at an angle, you can see the fine brush strokes. Looking at it head-on (or from the player's position), it looks just fine. And I think it will hold up based on my previous experience on the Mata Hari saucer.
The enemy of good is perfection, right? So far, I'm happy with the decal (despite me needing to re-align the two pieces I broke applying it) and with the protection (brushed on auto-clearcoat).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I feel your pain. I just used Spray2K (2 part auto clear in a rattle can) on my Trident I'm restoring. It needed a lot of playfield touch ups where it was missing paint and had badly ground in dirt that it needed to be deep cleaned and re-cleared. I used my old meteor playfield to practice on first, and even then it was a little daunting. The whole process is very finicky. I had to re-sand the whole thing down when I didn't properly clean the playfield of all the old wax well enough and ended with fish eyes everywhere. It looks very good now, not perfect, but not anything that I would redo.

When you play your first games on the new playfield, you will find it plays a lot different than it did before. It's much faster, and you get a whole lot more ball spin. Also since it is much faster, you are going to smack the glass more than you remember. You'll love it though, it's an awesome shooter.

2 weeks later
#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

What went wrong....
New Dead Bumper Base Plates
They're too damn big to fit in the cut out on the CPR playfield. I can't get too mad at CPR...they're too big for the original playfield, too! I could dremel the circumference of the the plastic base plate knobby down a bit and make them fit, but I'd probably just booger it up. In the end, I used the originals from the old playfield. They cleaned up ok, but they're green (not white like the new ones) and while I thought that would bother me, you can't see it anyway once the bumpers are installed.

The dead bumpers take quite a bit of force to get them to pop into the playfield. I was surprised by how hard I had to push, but they eventually snap in.

I just happened to notice something different on your trough post from mine. Mine used a carriage bolt with washers above and below metal spacer.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I'm really disappointed in them not polishing up in the tumblers - the plating is just so bad. In fact, the METEOR bank actually got darker in color after a trip thru the tumblers.[quoted image][quoted image]

The plating wasn't done in such a way on the old Stern stuff that it will polish. It's almost more galvanized than anything.

Once I got the oxidation off, I hit most of the parts with a quick light coat of clear just to keep the oxidation at bay. Doesn't shine it up any differently, but should help it from happening again over the next 40 years..

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

With the playfield more or less done until I can reassemble everything and see how my swap went, my attention is moving to the cabinet.
While structurally sound and surprisingly with very little dings or gouges, both sides and the cabinet front suffer from some pretty decent planking. The ridges are fairly deep and rough to the touch. The ridges are present only below where the side rails went....the wood under the side rails is nice and smooth. This pin must've spent a lot of time in a garage or some other non-climate controlled area.
I'm experimenting with one of the sides to see how I'm going to approach the rest of the cabinet. I took the first layer of paint off with acetone and then used an orbital sander to see how the cabinet side would smooth out. While visually it still looks like there are ridges, the side is now totally smooth to the touch.
So now I'm wondering....if I proceed to the primer/paint stages, will this ridge/planking problem re-emerge at some point? Or possibly show thru the new paint and primer? I was thinking of putting down a thin layer of bondo but I hate working with bondo and would like to avoid that if at all possible.
I may section off a several square inch area of the cabinet side, put down some primer coats, and then put down a paint coat and see what it looks like. Fresh paint like that will come off in seconds with acetone when it comes time to start over for the Pinball Pimp stencils (or if I decide to put down a layer of bondo).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Try using Durham’s Rock Hard putty rather than bondo. You can mix it thin to use it to fill the grain smooth and it sands down nicely. I got this tip from Jeff Miller (Pinball Pimp)

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I picked up some Durham's today and practiced on some spare plywood with different mixing ratios for viscosity, from thicker putty for filling in holes to thinner glaze to smooth out scratches. Not too bad. It's more flexible than bondo in that way, and more importantly it does not set as quickly as bondo giving me more time to work. Within 20 minutes it was set hard and touchable. In under an hour, it was sandable. 4 hours later, hard as rock.
Going to finish stripping the paint this weekend and then working on rebuilding some edges with wood epoxy. After that, and perhaps a little more practice on scrap plywood, I think I'll try Durham's for smoothing out the cabinet sides (and front and rear) to cover up that planking.

Glad it worked out!

#114 2 years ago

That’s my new favorite way to do large corner repairs. Really worked wonders on my Trident.

My only advice is if you fill a large flat area, like a patch where the plywood delaminated and came off, is to periodically stop sanding and let it cool. You can heat it enough that the resin can let go if you aren’t careful.

1 month later
#127 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Flitz gets a lot of love but I found it extremely lacking compared to mother Mag. Havn't had any 3 bank hardware come out that dull; weird.

The plating done but other manufacturers was quite a bit better than what the old Sterns had. If you compare a Bally or Williams to a Stern of the same vintage it’s night and day. Unless you want to send them out for replating, the stern mechs never get very shiny.

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not in my experience but hey, all machines are diff'rent. [quoted image]

It’s not bad, but compare that to a tumbled assembly from a Mata Hari. It’s a mirror finish.

6274FD02-26B7-439B-B301-D75DCCDDA673 (resized).jpeg6274FD02-26B7-439B-B301-D75DCCDDA673 (resized).jpeg

#134 2 years ago

Looking good so far!

3 weeks later
#143 2 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

Where'd you get the stencils?

Those look like pinball Pimp stencils.

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Left side stenciling done. Got a couple of boogers that should touch up fine....will do all the touch up work after the stenciling is complete. Weather permitting, will start the right side Friday.[quoted image]

So out of curiosity, why not spray all sides each color at the same time? It’s a lot easier

1 month later
#189 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

My family can't seem to remember "switch left for old, switch right for new" so I put in a sign to make it easier. [quoted image]

You'll find that it stays on the new code far more than the old

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stern-meteor-project?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.