You

Linked Games

• Magic Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210731_174103 1 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hey All,
I recently moved my Stern Magic. I cannot get it to end a game after setting it back up. The game will start -> eject the ball at the beginning of the game -> play and score but when the ball is drained the scoring remains active and the ball is not ejected. I have physically checked the switch and all looks good, I am leaning towards it maybe being an issue at the mpu but I am not sure where to look off the bat. I have all the schematics and manuals for this machine. Any help is appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

You likely have a connector issue. Make sure all the connectors are firmly in place at the MPU. You may well need to rebuild some connectors as well if they’ve never been done - at 42 years they are well beyond their service life.

#3 2 years ago

I'd say you're one lucky SOB.

#4 2 years ago

I resolved the issue. As usual its these Old Molex and board pins. I traced the wires of the end of ball switch back to the MPU. This top right J2 connector on the MPU had both wires from the end of ball switch on it so I started there. I ended up removing the MPU and reflowing the solder to all the pinned connectors for good measure (had a separate issue and did this on the power board and this was the fix, there was some really bad connections on that board I resoldered). So once the board was reflowed and I plugged it all back up I still wasnt gettin operation on the end of ball. I let the ball sit drained and gave those 2 wires a wiggle (yellow/red stripe + brown) and CLICK! its working again. I will go ahead and rebuild all of those molex plugs this winter I suppose. Hopefully this helps out someone in the future especially if the problem occurs after plugging/unplugging connectors. Those connectors and or pin solder joints are usually the culprit. Thanks for everyone's input.

20210731_174103 1 (resized).jpg20210731_174103 1 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

I read the title and just pictured some poor guy, bags under his eyes, on his 3rd day of continuous playing.... "The game JUST WON'T END!!!!"

#6 2 years ago

Yea I kind of fumbled the title there. If the ball would have ejected after it drained I WOULD have just kept playing and scoring points. Why fix that??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stern-magic-will-not-end-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.