(Topic ID: 163164)

1979 Stern Dracula Can You Convert Sound Board to Chimes?

By canoncitypb

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010806_(resized).JPG
P1010805_(resized).JPG
P1010804_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

It's not directly possible, as the earlier chime sterns just fired them as solenoids (not using a separate board that you could swap), but because of the design of the SB-100 sound card (where there's a separate circuit with a binary on/off input for each of the three tones) it'd technically be possible to make a new board that replicates the sound select portion (a few and gates) and connects them to transistors instead to drive chimes.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Has anyone out there tried this? Anyone want to try? Anyone want to post instructions on how to do this?

if you take a look at this article on the SB 100 (
http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page3.html ), you'll see that there are three mutlivibrators, each controlled by one of the gates on U7, through pins on U3. I don't have access to my Dracula at the minute to try it, but if I did, I'd connect LEDs from ground to each of those pins on U3, to confirm my understanding of how the sound board works. Each LED should come on when its corresponding tone is played. The main thing I'd worry about is if the tones last too long, and you'd be locking on the coils for a bit instead of just pulsing them, but you'd have to observe the LEDs to see (unless you have a logic probe you could use on the original board, or something). This is all theoretical, but if you do try it out I'd be happy to help. I think you're crazy though, those monotone bloops are way better than chimes!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I knew I'd find someone. I don't have a Dracula currently, but I would like one as long as I can address the sound issue. I would be happy enough with simulated chimes if that would be possible. I know buying chimes wouldn't be cheap either. The game play and art package look great to me.

I enjoy mine, even if it is trashed.. I've never found a recording of the simulated chimes, no idea what they sound like

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Stars has physical chimes. IIRC, there isn't a sound board at all on this game.
I don't recall built in sound options on Dracula, but there might have been some DIP switch settings for different electronically produced sounds, but I can't imagine that sound board generating anything worthwhile that you'd be happy with. Let alone anything that sounds like chimes.

Dracula uses the Rev c board which didn't have the chime emulating circuitry

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from rstrunks:

I would love to have the physical chimes in my Lectronamo as it actually is a neat game and a decent player. They are simulated chimes and the highest pitch chime is grating on you. I searched out an sb100 that had the chime circuitry and once I got it I had to wonder what I was thinking.

Why not adjust the pitch?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stern-dracula-can-you-convert-sound-board-to-chimes?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.