(Topic ID: 174814)

1979 Stellar Wars "Help"

By Desgrunner

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Have a Stellar Wars pin that has very sentimental value... A friend of mine gave it to me over 10 years ago and now has passed on to the "Great Pin in the Sky"... I haven't played the game in over 8 years... My (4) grand kids now (6 and under) are asking to play and I have been waiting for this day as a grandpa! I really think they'll enjoy the "fighting" and game action as "their" fathers did when they were young! Here's my issues: 1.) In the non-playing display mode all the lights work... When playing, none of the lights on the "jet bumpers" (white mushrooms) pulse on/off as the solenoids activate jumping the ball around. 2.) The 2.5 amp fuse on the power supply (solenoids?) was blown... Is this typical? Is there a safe fix? I had work done years ago on the MPU board... It has a 1D-2001-133-6A installed. Should I go back to the system 4 board? I can't say if this wasn't swapped when I sent it out! I do have a 1D-2001-133-6, but it needs repaired as I bought on EBay 8 years ago... Any help is really appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

This is a 1979 Williams Stellar Wars pinball

#3 7 years ago

The top three pop bumpers don't light until you clear the left drop targets (I think). The two side ones don't light until you clear another drop target bank (twice maybe, can't remember). So them not being lit when you start a game is normal. Experiment with the glass off and you'll figure out when they light up.

The 2.5A SB fuse usually blows when a special solenoid locks on such as a pop bumper or slingshot. The pops (except for the lower right one) and slingshots will all fire and stay locked on if one of their switches is stuck closed, which blows the fuse. This is common.

Other reasons for the fuse blowing is the game having issues due to the 40 pin connector aging and losing reliable contact between the MPU and driver board. Another reason is aged or bad sockets on the MPU (Scanbee type) that can cause game lock ups and locked on coils.

Special coils can also lock on if the resistor or capacitor on the switch are faulty. I've seen pop bumpers lock on intermittently and blow the fuse due to the capacitor being bad.

No reason to go back to the System 4 board unless you are having problems with the one currently in the game. Both boards will work fine in the game.

#4 7 years ago

stangbat is correct. Upper pop numbers don't light until you've nailed the drop targets. Once you have they go solid. Do it again and they flash. Also that 40 pin inter connect is often the culprit of strange behavior.

#5 7 years ago

Checked this afternoon, the lower two pop bumpers are lit by clearing the three upper right drop targets twice. The upper pops are lit by clearing the left three drop targets once.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! As soon as my parts arrive I will verify... You guys are great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stellar-wars-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.