(Topic ID: 187556)

1979 Original Kiss Pinball - How much should I pay?

By Cherga

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by whitey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

boards (resized).JPG
PF_wear (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cherga.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all, I'll start by saying I'm new and am looking to obtain my first machine. I've always wanted the original (1979) Kiss pinball and realize that it may not be the greatest and most enjoyable game to some however it is my wish for it to be my first machine. That said, I have an opportunity to buy one. It is in overall good condition, the cabinet paint is in good shape but heavily faded. It also has some wear around the KISS letters in the middle of the playfield, nothing terrible but certainly noticeable. There doesn't appear to be any corrosion visible on any of the boards within the backbox and all of the lights and mechanics appear to be 100% functional.

I've reviewed several threads and can't seem to find a current (2017), real-world value for this machine. Pinside lists value at $1940-$2260 and Boston pinball shows the 2016 YTD as $2766. I'm assuming these values represent machines in better physical condition than the one I currently explained. Further, I realize much of the price of this machine is likely the pure collectable nature that is possesses and ultimately the value is what someone is willing to pay for it, hence the reason for my support request.

Being a noob, I've read that most first-time pinball buyers overpay. I'm looking to avoid the trap and fend off an impulse buy. Everyone on Pinside seems extremely helpful so I'm hoping for a little guidance from the collective wealth of knowledge! Thanks in advance!

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the info Crazy Levi.

As far as I can tell and have been told, everything is original and nothing looks to have been replaced. The machine was acquired as part of an estate purchase by a local liquidator that contained other old/vintage machines and has been owned by the same person for 30 years or so. For being nearly 40 years old it's in good shape and by far isn't in ratty condition.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses, you guys are great! I haven't seen the machine in person yet but wanted to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before I do. They're asking $2800 for it and I've already said no to that, they called me today and want to negotiate so maybe I'll toss out a number contingent upon inspection and see what they say. Thanks again!

#11 6 years ago

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the insight and guidance. I had the seller send me a close-up of the playfield wear they told me about and have attached. According to them, this is the only area of wear on the playfield. If someone can give me some feedback on whether this wear is of significant concern, I'd greatly appreciate it.

PF_wear (resized).JPGPF_wear (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for the response (and defense) Travish! Didn't realize they also attached a picture of the boards... see attached.

boards (resized).JPGboards (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

I don't know, trying to coordinate with the seller to look at it tomorrow. Just read a thread after you mentioned the plastic playfield and I suppose it's possible it is as it seems Bally "experimented" and KISS and Playboy machines have been seen with them.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone. I got the seller down from 2800 to 1500 and not a penny less pending inspection and playability testing. I am checking it out tomorrow and had one more question... do these machines display errors on the back glass if something is wrong? Is there anything specific to look for when powering up?

#21 6 years ago

Yoko, thanks for the manual, will be helpful to bring with me.

#23 6 years ago

Thanks CL. 1500 is the seller's bottom line pending my inspection. If everything matches his description coupled with the tests/suggestions from those in the thread, I'll likely go for it.

#38 6 years ago

Wow, things really blew up! Nevertheless, it's a done deal. Thanks for everyone's support and guidance. It's been quite a learning experience for me. Once I get it home and give it a full run-through, I'll follow up with any tech needs and in the unlikely event I landed a gem, I'll post some pictures. Thanks again everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.95
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 29.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cherga.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-original-kiss-pinball-how-much-should-i-pay?tu=Cherga and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.