Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by amkoepfer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16390951139292034014502304471845 (resized).jpg
    16390950974026142489565830912654 (resized).jpg
    16390950796472017708174894694451 (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (3) (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (2) (resized).jpg
    20211118_084848 (resized).jpg
    20211118_084841 (resized).jpg
    20211118_084837 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I bought this Kiss machine and there is alot of wear in the lower playing field. My question are what should use to clean the playing field, what can be done about the wear on the playing field and what products can be used to wax the playing field.
    I bought an overlay to cover the areas that have been worn to the bare wood. Would I lightly sand the lower area to remove any rough edges before applying the overlay? Thanks in advance for your help

20211118_084837 (resized).jpg20211118_084837 (resized).jpg20211118_084841 (resized).jpg20211118_084841 (resized).jpg20211118_084848 (resized).jpg20211118_084848 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Cheapest way is a decal..

ebay.com link: itm

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from fatcat2u:

I bought this Kiss machine and there is alot of wear in the lower playing field. My question are what should use to clean the playing field, what can be done about the wear on the playing field and what products can be used to wax the playing field.
    I bought an overlay to cover the areas that have been worn to the bare wood. Would I lightly sand the lower area to remove any rough edges before applying the overlay? Thanks in advance for your help
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Generally it gets sanded flat, inserts sanded and leveled, and gets a coat of clear before the overlay goes on. Some will then spray 2 part automotive clear on top of the overlay depending on what it is made of.

1 week later
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Generally it gets sanded flat, inserts sanded and leveled, and gets a coat of clear before the overlay goes on. Some will then spray 2 part automotive clear on top of the overlay depending on what it is made of.

There's enough wear in the areas where there is no paint thats it's unlevel so how do you get it leveled?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from fatcat2u:

There's enough wear in the areas where there is no paint thats it's unlevel so how do you get it leveled?

I know you mentioned "lightly" sanding the play field in your first post but that isn't going to do it. Really if you are doing an overlay, there is no point in trying to save any old paint. Sand the whole play field level using a random orbital sander. Seal it with some kind of clear. Apply your overlay.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I know you mentioned "lightly" sanding the play field in your first post but that isn't going to do it. Really if you are doing an overlay, there is no point in trying to save any old paint. Sand the whole play field level using a random orbital sander. Seal it with some kind of clear. Apply your overlay.

Be aware of the overlays, the ones i have seen do not cover the white paint under plastics, so you would need to leave that as is or paint before the overlay

#8 2 years ago

Are you looking to restore or have a nice pf? Or just play the game?

My kids had a little wear, some horrible touch ups, but I cleaned it and just play. Not worth the time and effort for me to sand and apply a decal

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Ok, even if I was able to lighty sand to smooth the surface between the paint and bare wood, the playing would still be uneven. What's fix for that?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Are you looking to restore or have a nice pf? Or just play the game?
    My kids had a little wear, some horrible touch ups, but I cleaned it and just play. Not worth the time and effort for me to sand and apply a decal

I'm anal retentive so when I look at the lower playing field that most paint is gone, it drives me nuts. My plan is put an overlay over the lower half the playing field, replace the 4 ball guides and the 4 pop up along with relacing the all of top up targets

#11 2 years ago

with deep wear on the wood like that, you are going to get bubbles where the decal covers those. nothing you can do about that but maybe fill in with a product called plastic wood they sell at home depot or lowes. i used it on the lord of rings balrog drag mark i had, then carefully sanded it level. works great.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

with deep wear on the wood like that, you are going to get bubbles where the decal covers those. nothing you can do about that but maybe fill in with a product called plastic wood they sell at home depot or lowes. i used it on the lord of rings balrog drag mark i had, then carefully sanded it level. works great.

actually i think the kiss decal is pretty thick and stiff, i put the one that covers that area a few years back, didn't have to do anything to the area to prep it. not sure if the decal you have is from the same guy i got mine from. think i bought mine of ebay.

#13 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure Classic Arcades is the only one making a full playfield overlay right now for Kiss.

Quoted from amkoepfer:

the ones i have seen do not cover the white paint under plastics

It looks like the one for Kiss definitely does.

Quoted from fatcat2u:

My plan is put an overlay over the lower half the playing field

It's actually a lot easier to do the whole playfield than just part of it.

This is the one that comes up on Ebay ebay.com link: itm

If you check out the pictures, their preparation method includes sanding the whole playfield down. This will help you level out your playfield. From your pictures, you shouldn't have anything that needs filling that you have shown. You also need to get all the art off the inserts if you are using an overlay or it'll show through and look terrible.

There are a lot of threads with people on here who have done overlays with a lot of do's and don'ts. Here is a good video showing some of the prep and installation/

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (2) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (2) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (3) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (3) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #14 2 years ago
    Quoted from fatcat2u:

I'm anal retentive so when I look at the lower playing field that most paint is gone, it drives me nuts. My plan is put an overlay over the lower half the playing field, replace the 4 ball guides and the 4 pop up along with relacing the all of top up targets

if I was going to keep kiss forever or want a mint, doesn't cpr make a new pf? I would go new pf. Otherwise this could be a good learning experience if you want to either do a touch up and clear, or a decal. But you have to clear over the decal as well IIRC. Vid's playfield guide would help.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

if I was going to keep kiss forever or want a mint, doesn't cpr make a new pf? I would go new pf. Otherwise this could be a good learning experience if you want to either do a touch up and clear, or a decal. But you have to clear over the decal as well IIRC. Vid's playfield guide would help.

They do, but they are out of stock

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/kiss/

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

actually i think the kiss decal is pretty thick and stiff, i put the one that covers that area a few years back, didn't have to do anything to the area to prep it. not sure if the decal you have is from the same guy i got mine from. think i bought mine of ebay.

post #2 is the decal i used, no prep work was needed, its pretty thick unlike most decals.

#17 2 years ago

So I put the machine together today and started to play it and I noticed that the player number points display has two numbers that seem to be burned out and the credits display seems to be flickering in and out. Have any idea what this could be and what do I need to do to fix this?

16390950796472017708174894694451 (resized).jpg16390950796472017708174894694451 (resized).jpg16390950974026142489565830912654 (resized).jpg16390950974026142489565830912654 (resized).jpg16390951139292034014502304471845 (resized).jpg16390951139292034014502304471845 (resized).jpg
    #18 2 years ago

Display is probably a bad connection or its outgassed, but that looks like an error code. The kiss lights are supposed to go on and off, and cycle through the letters like a marquee if i remember right. I also kind of remember it was a pain in the ass to fix

#19 2 years ago

What sort of error could the machine be happening where numbers will flicker in some of the other players players display? The 3rd digit in the player 1 display isn't working and some times player 2 display will flicker and the credit and ball display just seems to constantly roll numbers. I disconnected and reconnected the plugs on those 2 displays and nothing changed. Any ideas on what I can do to try to reset the game?

#20 2 years ago

What happens if you swap displays from the other players up to there?

#21 2 years ago

Could be bad voltage on your power board

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-kiss-lower-playing-field and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.