Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

OK. First SS machine but a veteran EM guy.

Looked around for a topic about this but could not find it.

Issue: Game in attract mode player 3 display does everything it should. However when I start a game the number "4" is displayed.

Note: Game has a new Ni Wumpf CPU. Game plays like it should except for this minor issue.

Question: Why??

TIA Ken

#2 4 years ago

Try calling NI wumpf and check if they have a tech support department. Is there a warranty on the board?

#3 4 years ago

More info: When you start a multiplayer game up to 3 players , third player "4" readout returns to normal as nothing just like the other readouts, however when starting a 4 player game #3 player returns to the "4" digit.

Third player scores properly no matter what.

Bottom line is the "4" digit does not interfere with gameplay, game works 100%, just this weird issue.

P.S. I have done all the proper ground modifications including installing a new 3 prong power cord. Thought this might get rid of the issue but nothing changed.

#4 4 years ago

I'll second the contact Ni wumpf, sounds like it is trying to tell you something. They have very responsive and helpful in the past when I had an issue with mine.

#5 4 years ago

Got a nice email back from Ace at Ni Wumpf. He said he has seen this before.

He said; "Go to the HARDWR menu, and reset the NVRAM to see if that does not address it."

Great! Now I just have to figure out what button to push to access the menu and how to go about it. I know nothing about about system 1 menus and I'm sure Ni Wumpf extended the menu selection with their CPU as well. Do I push the test button on the coin door or a button on the CPU? Ah, learning curves.

#6 4 years ago

Ken, I'm probably not the System 1 expert to be answering the question, but I do have a Sys1 with a NiWumpf MkII CPU board.

The only hardware menus I know of are reached by:

1) powering on the machine with the toggle switch
2) Pressing the white button on the top inside of the coin door will step the machine sequentially into the Setup, Data, Hardware, Option, Game, and Done submenus. Press the button 3 times to see HAR DWR. I recall the that Displays will initially show in Player 2 display, Pressing the white button again will step through: lights, coil, and then the cryptic INIT e, which according to the NiWumpf manual, will restore factory defaults to the EEPROM.

I'm not at all sure if that is what Ace is referring to when he mentions resetting the NVRAM.

I could find no reference to NVRAM in the menu options on my Sys1 with NiWumpf CPU. ???

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Ken, I'm probably not the System 1 expert to be answering the question, but I do have a Sys1 with a NiWumpf MkII CPU board.

The only hardware menus I know of are reached by:

1) powering on the machine with the toggle switch
2) Pressing the white button on the top inside of the coin door will step the machine sequentially into the Setup, Data, Hardware, Option, Game, and Done submenus. Press the button 3 times to see HAR DWR. I recall the that Displays will initially show in Player 2 display, Pressing the white button again will step through: lights, coil, and then the cryptic INIT e, which according to the NiWumpf manual, will restore factory defaults to the EEPROM.

I'm not at all sure if that is what Ace is referring to when he mentions resetting the NVRAM.

I could find no reference to NVRAM in the menu options on my Sys1 with NiWumpf CPU. ???

Thanks for the FYI, at least I'm a little closer to understanding. Found out you need to press the start button to lock in items. As I said, EM guy here. I did go through and did like you said a few times but the issue remains. I will email Ace again and to ask if he can give a more detailed breakdown of what to do.

#8 4 years ago

So Ace got back to me, here is what he said;

"Ken,

That’s my fault for terminology (NVRAM). If you have already performed the reset operation – send this board back to me, and I’ll reflash it. It is unclear why this would happen, but I have heard of it once before – I just haven’t been able to reproduce it.

-Ace"

So looks like a CPU board issue on Ni Wumpf's end. Great that they are willing to make it right.

Where can I pick up anti-static bags? Figure I need to get ready to ship this back.

TIA,

Ken

#9 4 years ago

OK. Better News!

I redid the EEPROM restart again and this time it took. Guess a little more patience and tenacity paid off. No need to send the board back Yahoo!

Problem solved!

Thanks to all who chimed in especially Runbikeskilee for his help in walking me through everything.

Cheers!

#10 4 years ago

Oh well the issue is back.

Played one game and it was fine, then back to the same issue. reset it again, fine for one game, then back to the issue again.

Board is definitely being sent back now, I'm done till I get it back.

Update: Looks like ACE at Ni Wumpf is looking forward to getting the CPU in the shop as he said he really needs to figure out this issue for the future of other boards and now he finally has a board that he can keep resetting to duplicate the issue for testing. Cool guy, great customer service with emails too.

5 months later
#11 4 years ago

I have 2 boards exhibiting this issue. Anyone find a cure for this?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I have 2 boards exhibiting this issue. Anyone find a cure for this?

Yep. You have to send them back to Ni Wumpf and Ace will have to work on them. It's a manufacture defect, whether code or other.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-gottlieb-pinball-pool-player-3-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.