IMG_5464.PNG
IMG_3909 (resized).JPG
Hulk Driver (resized).JPG
Hulk Power Supply (resized).JPG
Hulk MPU (resized).JPG
Hulk1 (resized).JPG
Hulk2 (resized).JPG
IMG_3099 (1) (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zero-one.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

First Pin, new to the hobby, new to the board. Thanks for having me.

1979 Hulk...the sound will drop out after playing a couple games. If I start a new game it will work again however after a ball or two it quits again.

I have not done much checking into it yet, I figured this was a good excuse to start using the board and getting to know folks.

Thanks in advance.

#4 7 years ago

Ok, got it. Thanks guys. I will check it out and let you know what I found. I do appreciate it!!

#6 7 years ago

Thanks Konghusker for the warm welcome. Yeah, the wife and I would love an excuse to road trip to Lincoln sometime. Looks like you have some nice machines in your collection.
I cleaned the terminals on the sound board and my wife and daughter are playing now....seems to be working.
You said to replace the connector...is there a good source for parts?

#8 7 years ago

I see. Thanks for the clarification ForceFlow. There is a wire that pulled out of another connector that controls the button to add credits that I need to re-pin also. I work at a Chevrolet dealer and was going to take the harness to the shop to see if we have the correct terminal in our kit.

#13 7 years ago

Actually I will probably just grab a few of the original ones to have on hand. I agree with you that keeping it more original in look is more appealing for sure.
Oh and thank you for the additional web sites for parts! Very cool!

IMG_3099 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_3099 (1) (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Good grief sorry for the huge picture. Im not sure how to re-size it.

#16 7 years ago

Thank you or the information! Yeah it sounds like working on these is similar to working on cars lol. We have the same issue when trying to re-pin a connector on a vehicle. The extractor tool seems a bit to large. I usually take a paperclip and file the end of it and it slips right in. Its a little more flimsy than you may want but it works just fine.

#18 7 years ago

My reasoning for wanting Hulk was not for the exciting game play lol but because of the theme. Ive been an Incredible Hulk fan since I was little and recently even got to meet Lou Ferigno and got an autograph on a cool poster. After reading reviews on this forum I almost passed on this machine because it seemed to be ranked pretty low on the "fun" scale lol, however when I found one at a reasonable price and it was located near where I was traveling for a visit to the In-Laws....well....it made sence to me. I love the artwork on the machine and honestly with the front leg adjusters cranked up, the game play is not terrible. I love this machine and am grateful to Dave for the good deal.

Here are a couple Pics. Now dont laugh, I only have one machine. I dont have the budget to compete with the big time collectors around here lol.

Hulk2 (resized).JPGHulk2 (resized).JPG

Hulk1 (resized).JPGHulk1 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. It still amazes me how these boards can bring good people together that would otherwise never meet. I have been a Wacky Packages collector for years and have the most extensive 1979-1980 reissue collection in the hobby and through that I have meet some very dear friends. If i can find an appropriate thread for it I will post pics of my collection.

#22 7 years ago

Thanks for the information.

I have cleaned all of the edge connectors and terminals but the sound still drops out. It does come back right away if you press the button and start a new game. I dont think its a connection issue if starting a new game corrects it.

#24 7 years ago

I just played 5 games to try and get it to do it but it worked fine lol. As far as i can tell it just drops out cleanly. You just suddenly realize there is no sound.

I will continue to play during the next couple days and try and pay more attention and let you know if there are any tell tail signs.

#27 7 years ago

Its ok. I liken it to a used car. There are bound to be issues that neither the seller or the buyer can know about. No biggy

#28 7 years ago

Well instead of things getting better they have got worse. Last night the machine made all kinds of strange noises on its own just sitting there on and the 4 score displays went nuts and now the machine will not even play. It turns on and makes some initial noises, the playfield and back glass light up but the score displays do not light up and you can not start a game. Sigh........

#31 7 years ago

By MPU do you mean the main "CPU" control board in the light box?

#33 7 years ago

OK. Thnak you. Here are some pics of the three boards in the back box. The MPU has had some previous corrosion cleaning and repair. Look low just left of center. The board looks really rough and I may try and purchase a replacement board first. Pinball Resource shows a Ni-wumpf board for $199.00

Hulk MPU (resized).JPGHulk MPU (resized).JPG

Hulk Power Supply (resized).JPGHulk Power Supply (resized).JPG

Hulk Driver (resized).JPGHulk Driver (resized).JPG

#36 7 years ago

Wow! What a cool picture!! What makes it even more special is thats the next machine I had decided on getting! There was one that showed up here locally at a shop and I missed it by less than a week!

How does AMS play? Is it about the same as Hulk? The graphics are awesome.

3 weeks later
#38 7 years ago

So the RottenDog power supply is compatible with the Ni-Wumph board? Ok. I just got the Ni-Wumph in the mail today but I have had a heck of a time getting in touch with the rotten dog guy. There always a reason why he cant talk to me when I call. Sigh......I'm going to email him my order and see if that works better.

Do you think I'm safe going ahead and installing the MPU now with my old power supply or should I wait for the new power supply to get here. I'm getting impatient and want to play!!

#40 7 years ago

Ok thank for the information. I emailed Pinball resource where I got the MPU and they are out of the power supply they offer. I'm not aware of another option other than Rottendog. Any other thoughts?

I just hung up with someone at Ni-Wumpf and he said pretty much any power supply even the Rotten Dog ones are fine. He said there have been no real complaints on any of them. Said something about another source being Great Plains Electronics.....

#42 7 years ago

Perfect. Thanks. I emailed both Great Plains and Rottendog. Lets see if I can get a reply.

Great Plains is only 7 miles from where I live lol so that would be awesome however I'm not sure the power supply is available. There is a link at the bottom of the page you referenced that says "notify me when stock is available".....sigh........

#44 7 years ago

I just installed the new power supply and MPU, I power it on and it does the same thing it did before. Just lights up and sits there.
It was supposed to go into a test mode where I can choose the game (these boards can be used in all 16 system 1 games).

Any ideas?

#45 7 years ago

Never mind for now.........I'm going to re-pin all of the cables in the back box this weekend. I'm sure that will do it.

#47 7 years ago

A new sound board huh? Ok I will look into that. The game came with a new driver board and I just replaced the MPU and power supply boards. Is the sound board pretty much the last major component I should worry about then?

#49 7 years ago

Ok so Ive about had it lol.........I'm unable to remove the terminals from the connector to the left of the driver board connector.
This is the connector that must have suffered the most abuse from the battery leakage.
Does anyone have any card edge connector housings or know where I can buy some.

#51 7 years ago

Lynn ,
Thanks for that information.

Something else Ive been wanting to ask., are the fuses in these games anything special or can I buy replacements at a local hardware store?

#52 7 years ago

Ok update,

I got the main connector re-pinned that I wanted to do but it did not change anything.......(that's fine it needed to be done anyway)
BUT......I'm embarrassed to say (I swear I checked this) the 1 amp Primary fuse was blown. All of the other fuses tested ok,.
I ran and grabbed a replacement 1 amp slow blow and as soon as the game is powered on the fuse pops. So if I can find the source of the short I'm sure the game will work.
Any ideas?

#54 7 years ago

Ok. Now that I think about it, when it all started the first tip was some strange noises it was making.....like R2D2 type noises and then it quit. Hmmm...I will start with the sound board.

#56 7 years ago

Will do thanks Dave.

I tried the sound board and no luck. Need to go purchase a handful of fuses. At $2.60 a "pop" lets hope it reveals something soon lol.

#62 7 years ago

Here are some pics. I appreciate all the information however my frustration level is getting to high and its mostly from me not being smart enough with electrical diagnosis to be able to fix this. I want to apologize for wasting so much of everyone's time with this. I will probably just have to take it to the local pin repair guy. He is a super guy and really knows his stuff, my only issue is not having the $300 its going to cost to repair it so it will have to sit for awhile and that really sucks. He said on the phone it sounds like one of the bridge rectifiers or whatever they are could be bad on the bottom board.
I do appreciate all the help, I'm just not smart enough for this. Sorry guys.

pin1 (resized).JPGpin1 (resized).JPG
pin2 (resized).JPGpin2 (resized).JPG
pin3 (resized).JPGpin3 (resized).JPG
pin4 (resized).JPGpin4 (resized).JPG
pin5 (resized).JPGpin5 (resized).JPG

#64 7 years ago

Yes, the fuse still blew with J2 and J3 unplugged.

Also while performing this test I noticed another fuse on the under side of the play field I have not seen before. A 2 Amp slow blow. I pulled it out and it is blown also. I'm really not sure where to go now.

#66 7 years ago

The fuse does NOT blow with the power supply completely unhooked.

#68 7 years ago

I contacted the maker of the power supply and told him what I was experiencing and the didn't even hesitate and emailed back that I had a bad bridge rectifier. That is also what the local pinball repair guy said. I had the wife swing my and pick up a couple replacements.
I got home late tonight so instead of jumping in an soldering in the new ones I figured i would test the old ones and they test GOOD

I guess there is no reason to replace them at this point.

#70 7 years ago

I believe I tested it correctly. I followed the guide on Pinrepair.com

Should I go ahead and replace them just to see if they might still be bad (failing under load)?

#71 7 years ago

Ok so now the guy I got the power supply from said if the fuse does not blow with the power supply unplugged that it is a "damaged" power supply. Said if I sent him the power supply he would test/repair and send me another good power supply. Seems willing to help and like a nice guy so that's good. I'm going to take the machine in to the local pin repair guy and let him fix it.

Thanks everyone for all of the help.

#72 7 years ago

Thank you for the great information!
Here is an update:

I boxed up the new power supply to send back for a replacement since the 1 amp fues only blows with the power supply plugged in.
While it was out I got a wild hair and decided to reinstall the original power supply.......the game works!

Now, it acts different but I think that's the new MPU board. One thing I'm having trouble with now is that the "shooters" (that's what they are called in the parts book), do funny things. The left one will actuate twice at times. Once to shoot the ball out and a second time a second later. The right one will stick with the ball in it and then blow the 2 amp fuse on the underside of the playfield lol.
This is really helping me learn about these machines lol. I was told that you need to constantly tinker with them but wow, I play one game and then work on it for three weeks lol.

(Note....the game really sounds different when you play a test game with the glass off!!! Wow!)

1 week later
#73 7 years ago

The game is up and running again. Thanks for the input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zero-one.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-gottlieb-hulk-sound-issue?tu=zero-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.