Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1676BD06-FF05-4C47-B11F-DD3F528A556D.jpeg
D0FCF623-E98A-4632-AB47-6D6BDCF8589F.jpeg
2E2A22E6-A7CA-4BA9-9272-BF77B0BCEA34 (resized).jpeg
DCDB6A83-36D5-4B56-9BB3-3E957B2F76FE.jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I have a 1979 Flash pin that I acquired and am in the process of getting it up and running. I’m new to the whole pinball thing so please bear with me.

I currently have all four circuit boards out to be repaired/upgraded. While I am waiting I’d like to start cleaning and waxing the playfield.

I’ve read a ton of posts regarding this subject and I’ve what I’ve garnered so far is to use Naptha, maybe some Novus 1, and a good carnuba paste wax.

The playfield appears to be in generally good condition for its age. There are a few isolated spots where some paint has been lost. Mostly around the ring of numbers just above the flippers as you can see in the photo I attached.

I am not trying to create a museum piece but I’d like to preserve what is left.

Please let me know the best way to proceed on a pin of this era.

Thank you!!!
DCDB6A83-36D5-4B56-9BB3-3E957B2F76FE.jpegDCDB6A83-36D5-4B56-9BB3-3E957B2F76FE.jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Clean it then polish the playfield with Novus 2. Good wax after that. Novus 1 is really only good for buffing up plastics.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from jgreene:

Clean it then polish the playfield with Novus 2. Good wax after that. Novus 1 is really only good for buffing up plastics.

Thanks! I read so many differing opinions on another lengthy post my brain was spinning.

Given that things have evolved over years I was wondering if there is a specific regime so this era of machines.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

I read so many differing opinions on another lengthy post my brain was spinning.

Put 10 pinheads in a room and ask them their wax/playfield cleaning opinions, and you will get 11 opinions back. (One person will change their mind mid-way through....)

Long term pinheads call this 'wax wars'.

If you want to protect it without touching up paint and clearcoating it, clean it with the novus 2 (which is abrasive, so use care you want to just get the dirt off and not remove too much of what's left) wax it with something that doesn't have a lot of petroleum distillates in it (I use Staples' crystal clear wax, but any carnauba wax that isn't totally liquid should be ok.... just make sure it doesn't have any tint to it if it's a wood wax.) Stick some mylar down on it AFTER you wax it really well (this way it could be removed in the future easier) - the mylar would prevent any farther paint loss, although mylared surfaces do play differently. Yours looks pretty much like mine I have a little more paint loss but I just play it and watch it. I'm sure at some point I might do something to restore it but probably not.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Put 10 pinheads in a room and ask them their wax/playfield cleaning opinions, and you will get 11 opinions back. (One person will change their mind mid-way through....)
Long term pinheads call this 'wax wars'.
If you want to protect it without touching up paint and clearcoating it, clean it with the novus 2 (which is abrasive, so use care you want to just get the dirt off and not remove too much of what's left) wax it with something that doesn't have a lot of petroleum distillates in it (I use Staples' crystal clear wax, but any carnauba wax that isn't totally liquid should be ok.... just make sure it doesn't have any tint to it if it's a wood wax.) Stick some mylar down on it AFTER you wax it really well (this way it could be removed in the future easier) - the mylar would prevent any farther paint loss, although mylared surfaces do play differently. Yours looks pretty much like mine I have a little more paint loss but I just play it and watch it. I'm sure at some point I might do something to restore it but probably not.

Thank you! I presume you mean to put the Mylar down on the wear areas and not the entire field. I did find a generic Mylar kit however I’m not sure of the actual diameter of the circles included in the kit. Looks like I’d have to order several kits to get enough circles for my application as most of my wear is on the circular lights just above the flippers. Maybe someone else sells a kit with just circles? IDK.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MAS

2E2A22E6-A7CA-4BA9-9272-BF77B0BCEA34 (resized).jpeg2E2A22E6-A7CA-4BA9-9272-BF77B0BCEA34 (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago

Just buy sheets of the mylar and cut to fit. Yes, wax everywhere you're going to put mylar. I'd cover sling to sling on flash and probably stop just over the bonus area. You don't want a bunch of individual circles on each of the lamps, that would make it play funny.

#7 3 years ago

Use blitz wax. It’s pricey but worth it.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Just buy sheets of the mylar and cut to fit. Yes, wax everywhere you're going to put mylar. I'd cover sling to sling on flash and probably stop just over the bonus area. You don't want a bunch of individual circles on each of the lamps, that would make it play funny.

Just to clarify, you think I should put one large piece of Mylar over the entire circle of circles spanning from left slingshot to right sling?

#10 3 years ago

Thanks. That’s a great resource but with all the comments and differing opinions it made my head spin. The key points I got out of it was to use Naptha, Novus 1 and a good carnuba paste wax.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Just to clarify, you think I should put one large piece of Mylar over the entire circle of circles spanning from left slingshot to right sling?

Yes, the sling area is a major wear spot on a lot of machines - protect it.

#12 3 years ago

Any thoughts on this? Seems like a nice solution to my wear area but I wonder how well it would work.

1676BD06-FF05-4C47-B11F-DD3F528A556D.jpeg1676BD06-FF05-4C47-B11F-DD3F528A556D.jpegD0FCF623-E98A-4632-AB47-6D6BDCF8589F.jpegD0FCF623-E98A-4632-AB47-6D6BDCF8589F.jpeg
#13 3 years ago

I wouldn't that kind of decal usually stands out.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I wouldn't that kind of decal usually stands out.

Good point. I wish he sold a clear version of it.

#15 3 years ago

I think I am now leaning more towards a playfield protector after I clean everything really well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-flash-playfield-cleaning-waxing?hl=stephan28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.