Finished02 (resized).jpg
Dsc04548 (resized).jpg
DSC04453 (resized).JPG
DSC04376 (resized).JPG
IMG_1840 (resized).JPG
IMG_1836 (resized).JPG
IMG_1835 (resized).JPG
IMG_1834 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider riptor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago

I did the same as your doing when I put an overlay on my kiss. I sanded down to bare wood and replaced all the inserts. My inserts were total crap and had to go. I pre-sanded all the inserts to get them close to flat and then flattened again after they were installed. Once everything was flat I used some west system epoxy to seal the wood. I spread it over, let it soak and squeegee all of the excess off. Once that had cured I wet sanded to achieve a super smooth base for the vinyl overlay. Installed the overlay with the wet method to get all of the bubbles out and get it straight. Alignment was off on some holes but I found a happy medium. I ended up keeping everything on the lower playfield lined up great and there are some insert holes up top that are slightly off....best I could get it.
Next I did a light coat of two part auto clear (I used Nasons) and then two medium coats with sanding in between. The final coat turned out so well that I decided not to do a final sand and buff in fear of screwing it up. Turned out great for my first time doing an overlay and spraying clear.
Its good enough that I wouldnt buy a new playfield to swap. Much more satisfying then just swapping a PF.
I relied heavily on Vids playfield restoration guide while researching before the project. I had never done any kind of playfield work before. Give me a shout if there is anything I can help with.
Check out the inserts with art still intact after sanding(2nd pic). Yeah I would say they were cupped quite badly. 3rd pic shows new inserts installed.

DSC04376 (resized).JPGDSC04376 (resized).JPG
DSC04453 (resized).JPGDSC04453 (resized).JPG
Dsc04548 (resized).jpgDsc04548 (resized).jpg
Finished02 (resized).jpgFinished02 (resized).jpg
Finished15 (resized).jpgFinished15 (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago

....And the famous before pic. This machine had been stored outside for an undetermined amount of time. I built an entire new lower cabinet and all metal parts were replaced. The coin door was one big chunk of rust....what a mess.

LeftSide (resized).jpgLeftSide (resized).jpg

DSC04378 (resized).JPGDSC04378 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 29.00
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider riptor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-bally-kiss-playfield-clear-coating-on-mylar-overlay?tu=riptor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.