Finished02 (resized).jpg
Dsc04548 (resized).jpg
DSC04453 (resized).JPG
DSC04376 (resized).JPG
IMG_1840 (resized).JPG
IMG_1836 (resized).JPG
IMG_1835 (resized).JPG
IMG_1834 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boydsc331.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

I have cleared over overlays. It can be done and comes out nice but you have to be carefull. and I'm with cody_chunn you should remove the whole overlay and start with a fresh one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club#postbox

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

A friend of mine applied this mylar a few years ago. He sanded the old play field down, clear coated and applied the new mylar graphic overlay. For some reason, it's lifting all over the place. Being that I have to redo it, I'm going to flat sand and re-clear the whole thing, apply the mylar and clear again.
@boydsc331 Thanks for that link. VERY helpful.

I would say if you do the overlay again, clear over the top of the overlay too. I think it helps keep it flat and locked down to the playfield.

#13 7 years ago

I would try and block all the holes that go through to the under side of the playfield . you wouldn't want the clear to coat any of the contacts on the switches under the playfield. Or solenoid plungers.

#14 7 years ago

looks good so far. do you know what kind of clear youre going to use ?

#22 7 years ago

Is that your playfield ? Looks nice if it is. Wish my projects moved as fast as yours.

#27 7 years ago

Don't forget if you have any bulb sockets left under the playfield, put some bulbs in them before you clear. I forgot to do that on my comet and made a lot of extra work for myself. They were so coated with clear I couldn't even force a bulb in them lol.

3 weeks later
#45 7 years ago

any updates ?

1 year later
#52 5 years ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm curious how the clear coat on top of the overlay has been holding up over time. Did you have any problems with the overlay lifting up again?
I just picked up a Kiss machine this weekend and the playfield is worn and dirty. I was thinking about doing the same thing you have done here. I would prefer to buy a reproduction playfield and swap it out but I haven't found one yet (only been looking for a day or so.)

I did a xenon pinball overlay about 3 years ago and it still looks great. No lifting or air bubbles . Just be careful when spraying over an overlay.

#53 5 years ago

and thanks for the update pinteresting. was wondering what happened to you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boydsc331.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-bally-kiss-playfield-clear-coating-on-mylar-overlay?tu=boydsc331 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.