DSCF5130.JPG
DSCF5129.JPG
DSCF5126.JPG
DSCF5131.JPG
IMG_0146[1].JPG
cool_story_bro[1].gif
Superman.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Made a deal for a superman pin for 150.00 Trying to find some info about them. I see they were a avery short made by Steve Richie. Ive looked for some parts but can only find rubbers and such. Does anyone know anything about these machines other that what i have read for the last 6 hours. The seller said the score displays dont work im guessing since they all dont work they are missing the 90volt inputs? Any help will be appreciated.

#2 12 years ago

Most people consider Superman to be Atari's best pin. It's certainly a gorgeous machine. $150 sounds like an absolute steal to me. Here's a photo of my daughter playing it at the PHOF ...

Superman.JPGSuperman.JPG

#3 12 years ago

Thats a little relief. Ive got pin fever and the only way to fix it is more pins. I bought this one while waiting on my ni-waumpf board to come in for my BH that i just leded out. HAHA. Did Clay have any guides up for the atari pins?

#4 12 years ago

That is sweet Shane. Where the heck did you find such a good deal in the middle of nowhere?

#5 12 years ago

They are beautiful pins, no doubt about it.
I had worked on some cleaner schematics for it a while back, never did get them totally "done" though. Here's a link to where I had the latest versions posted. Eventually I'll get back to it, but it wasn't my machine I was working on and I got away from doing the drawings when that project ended.

There may be a couple mistakes in there, and let me know if you find any so I can correct it.

http://www.siegecraft.us/the_siege_blog/blog/2011/04/atari-superman-pinball-diagrams-in-progress.html

Leon Borre has some board repair tech info on his website, plus a diagnostic ROM file
http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

Interesting design for the boards in these things. Each lamp or switch has a dedicated wire coming back to the boards, no 'matrix' layout at all. I also don't believe you can use LED's at all in them, they 'warm' all the insert lamps with a small current. You'll notice if it's dark in the room, that all the inserts always appear to be just barely turned on. That's normal. It helps longevity of the bulbs, but if you put an LED in it, the thing will never turn off.

-Hans

#6 12 years ago

Beleave it or not i was just driving home running my trap as i looked over to the passenger I slammed the breaks cause i saw a mr do peaking through a garage window. The MR DO didnt catch my eye but the pin behind it did. Went in and asked the guy whats the deal with the pin and he said oh that one,its a bingo type pin i was all disappointed not really my thing. So we got to talking about tube amplifiers cause he repairs juke boxes and he was like HEY i have a pin id sell i was like YEAH?? what is it he said its a superman I was like WAAAAAAAAAA said yeah the displays dont work on it we can go take a look at it.
So we went out to where the superman was and there it sits on the ground with no legs and head still attached. Looked it over and he said yeah 150 bux and its yours. I looked at him like get the flick out here he said yeah heres the legs and crap. Best part of the whole deal was meeting a new friend and scorning a new pin 2 blocks from the house!

#7 12 years ago

Man, what a lucky score! The backglass alone is worth more than $150. What kind of condition is it in? Let's see some photos.

#8 12 years ago

Wow, great story and score for $150

cool_story_bro[1].gifcool_story_bro[1].gif

#9 12 years ago

Will get some pics when i get it home.

#10 12 years ago

Who knew that Jefferson had so many pinball machines in it? Maybe you should take out an ad in the Jefferson Gazette asking if anyone else has a machine for sale. Maybe there is a MM and AFM just sitting there waiting for you.

#11 12 years ago

When that machine show'd up at the Jersey Boardwalk there was a line to play it! Yeah!...let's see pix!

#12 12 years ago

Congrats, very nice find.

#13 12 years ago

Yeah im totally stoked. Been in the garage cleaning it up all day making room for it. Im gonna see if i can pick it up tonight. Thing that really sucks is its gonna be my sons Christmas present and it is gonna sit about 6 foot from his BH and crusin world. So i gotta cover it up so he dont see it. Gonna try to have it up and running before Christmas so im ordering rubbers tonight.

Quoted from HHaase:

Interesting design for the boards in these things. Each lamp or switch has a dedicated wire coming back to the boards, no 'matrix' layout at all. I also don't believe you can use LED's at all in them, they 'warm' all the insert lamps with a small current. You'll notice if it's dark in the room, that all the inserts always appear to be just barely turned on. That's normal. It helps longevity of the bulbs, but if you put an LED in it, the thing will never turn off

Yeah i orderd pinballlife leds for hid BH and im not too impressed with them. May just be me. Ill take a few shots of the lineup tonight.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Who knew that Jefferson had so many pinball machines in it? Maybe you should take out an ad in the Jefferson Gazette asking if anyone else has a machine for sale. Maybe there is a MM and AFM just sitting there waiting for you

This podunk town have a newspaper? I think not. As soon as i can im outa here looking for a house im mc cook lake or no sioux city somewhere. I will see what he also has laying around when i get superman tonight you never know there might be some other stuff someone might be interested in.

#15 12 years ago

Yeah i orderd pinballlife leds for hid BH and im not too impressed

BH is really nice with LEDS,You have to install the correct ones.

IMG_0146[1].JPGIMG_0146[1].JPG

#16 12 years ago

Heres some pics as promised. Someone has seriousley hacked the i/o board and it is missing 2 score displayes. On the power supply i am getting 12vdc where im supposed to be getting 6.3vac. if i turn the meter to ac i get 25.8vac!!!! Theres one burned coil. 56K die

DSCF5131.JPGDSCF5131.JPG DSCF5126.JPGDSCF5126.JPG DSCF5129.JPGDSCF5129.JPG

#17 12 years ago

more

DSCF5130.JPGDSCF5130.JPG DSCF5132.JPGDSCF5132.JPG DSCF5136.JPGDSCF5136.JPG

#18 12 years ago

Nice grab. Seems like a weird spot to have wear on that playfield out in the middle of nowhere and all.
The guy I bought my Scorpion from has a non-working Superman but wouldn't sell it. I really wanted it just to figure out how to fix it.

#19 12 years ago

Are you kidding me? That town along with Elk Point has to have a weekly newspaper. My hometown has 200 people and it has a weekly.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Are you kidding me? That town along with Elk Point has to have a weekly newspaper. My hometown has 200 people and it has a weekly.

Yeah i know right!

Quoted from SealClubber:

I really wanted it just to figure out how to fix it.

As do i it seems. Ive dug into it a little bit and the i/o board is more than likely jacked. Found another one ima order tonight but there is not alot of info on these atari pins. I hope from a repair stand point i didnt screw myself of a scarce to find parts pin.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Nice grab. Seems like a weird spot to have wear on that playfield out in the middle of nowhere and all.

Yeah, other than that one spot, the playfield looks like it's in really great shape.

#22 12 years ago

For 150 bucks that's a great deal and Congrats!!

#23 12 years ago

Great score. Superman is a fun game, lots of letters to spell. 8,

#24 12 years ago

Its in pretty good shape. The inserts are kinda shaped like a concave led tho??? The pics are of as found condition. I did absolutely no cleaning on it i flipped the hood and found all the manuals in there along with wiring diag that was included with the game. A full rubber kit and a bunch of other junk. I dont know what or how the spot happened or even if im gonna repair it.

#25 12 years ago

Its funny i buy another pin as im waiting on my ni-waumpf board to come in for my BH. Man i rebuilt the pbdb for bh and do they ever hit now. I think i am a pin junkie.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from Shane300zx:

I think i am a pin junkie.

welcome to the club, shane. congrats on the pin!

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Shane300zx:

waiting on my ni-waumpf board to come in for my BH.

Well look at this way the board probably cost you more than what
you paid for Superman..We all are Pin junkies

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Well look at this way the board probably cost you more than what
you paid for Superman

yeah i got it from their site $200.60 shipped.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Shane300zx:

yeah i got it from their site $200.60 shipped.

Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you,You have
two great Pins

1 year later
#30 10 years ago

I have a 1979 Atari Superman pinball machine i am in need of someone to help me the machine worked great than one day it quit working no power up

I am in Kansas can deliver or I will ship boards to someone that can repair them

Thanks
Andy
[email protected]

6 months later
#31 9 years ago
Quoted from kaldan:

I have a 1979 Atari Superman pinball machine i am in need of someone to help me the machine worked great than one day it quit working no power up

I am in Kansas can deliver or I will ship boards to someone that can repair them

Thanks
Andy
[email protected]

Im sorry i didnt see this post sooner. I had the mpu fixed by a guy in texas. Thats all he does is fix vintage atari stuff and is really reasonable. I will have to dig up an email or link for you
http://www.nuatari.com/aboutus.html here it is. Very good and fast work. I sent this mpu out a week before Xmas and got it back the day before and had no problems getting the machine up and running.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-atari-superman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.