(Topic ID: 230694)

1978 Zaccaria Ski Jump Mystery - What is this thing??

By DoubleGun

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DocFinlay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

file-6 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file-11 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I recently bought a 1978 Zaccaria Ski Jump. It has the blue EM cabinet and all of the electro mechanical parts that would match the EM style machine. The back glass, on the other hand, looks more like the solid-state version, but it is not. The backglass is missing the yellow “credits” and “ball to play” text and the windows are in the wrong place (it has score reels). I have looked very closely for signs of alteration to the glass, but see none. My question is… Were there games that fell in between the EM and SS eras that were sort of thrown together with a hybrid factory back glass?

Any help or direction is appreciated.

file-11 (resized).jpegfile-11 (resized).jpegfile-6 (resized).jpegfile-6 (resized).jpegfile1 (resized).jpegfile1 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Could be 1 of a kind. Because it appears to be modified. 1978 Ski Jump was made as an EM and a SS. The one you have photographed shows it has a SS backglass, with an added score reel set up. Is it possible that the EM glass got broken, and this SS backglass was modified to fit? The EM version has 7 score places.

#3 5 years ago

Interesting note from IPDB, unrelated to the glass: This game uses a production Zaccaria MPU that is completely unrelated to the Gen1 (1b1110,1b1110/0, 1b1110/1, 1b1110/1a) board set. It's based on a different CPU (the National Semiconductor 8060 instead of the Signetics 2650a), and combines CPU, Driver, and Power Supply functions all into one huge board. So far, no one has been able to determine if Zaccaria gave this MPU its own official designation.

Only three games had this unique MPU. The other two games are Zaccaria's 1978 'Strike' and Zaccaria's 1979 'Space City'.

#4 5 years ago

Are the million sections at the top of the backglass actually activated by lamps? I own a 10 Stars EM and it has 5 working reels. Does this have 4 or 5?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Are the million sections at the top of the backglass actually activated by lamps? I own a 10 Stars EM and it has 5 working reels. Does this have 4 or 5?

Yes, it appears that the millions sections are activated by lamps. Also, It has 5 reels. However, only 4 are visible from the front.

FYI, I added a picture of the backbox to the original post.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from DoubleGun:

Yes, it appears that the millions sections are activated by lamps. Also, It has 5 reels. However, only 4 are visible from the front.
FYI, I added a picture of the backbox to the original post.

Looking at the photo there must be 2 dummy "0's" attached to the backbox board, creating the effect of 7 digit scoring.

1 month later
#7 5 years ago

May I ask what you paid? I am considering bidding on https://www.ebth.com/items/10005861-zaccaria-vintage-ski-jump-pinball-machine and just wondered.

Oddly, out of the almost 750 game titles I have listed with sales records, I don't have Ski Jump.

Thanks,

Ted
PinballPrices.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-zaccaria-ski-jump-mystery-what-is-this-thing?hl=docfinlay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.