Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A07A09B1-A9E8-43C3-8180-2974771EB38F (resized).jpeg
    3AACCF37-F69C-4658-BC53-A1C5C27FD780 (resized).jpeg
    5E24279F-660B-4F2D-A7A0-E938EBB08C6C (resized).jpeg
    502725D3-3087-4090-9DDA-628DFC110788 (resized).jpeg
    1898445531.png
    4A53A7AE-6E9B-46AF-965E-A6453481A51C (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello! I am a brand new member and as of this past weekend, a first time pinball machine owner.

I bought my wife a 1978 Williams World Cup pinball machine for her 40th birthday.

It is a big hit, but the right flipper has gone lame.

After doing some research and playing with the machine, I have figured out that the set screws for that flipper are coming loose, causing the flipper to eventually flop down, useless.

I can manually tighten these set screws and the flipper works fine, but then after playing for about a half hour it loosens back up.

Is this a common issue? Any suggestions for a fix? Would tightening the Set screws And then adding a little Loctite be a bad idea?

Thank you all in advance!

4A53A7AE-6E9B-46AF-965E-A6453481A51C (resized).jpeg4A53A7AE-6E9B-46AF-965E-A6453481A51C (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Note that when tightening the flipper bats on these games, you may need to use a fairly large amount of force to really tighten them up. A rule of thumb i read a while back was to tighten those screws with an alley key until you think you're about to snap the key. You don't have to hurt yourself tightening them--just be sure to give them the old college try though.

For the meantime it couldn't hurt to try the loctite, but you want to be sure you can eventually take the parts out for cleaning or replacement on the future. Use the blue loctite if you must, red is too strong for this application, imo. One other tip: be sure to hold firmly onto the flipper crank while tightening those screws! You want to use a considerable amount of torque, and you don't want to bend/pull/push anything else more than necessary while tightening those screws.

However, it sounds like the flippers may be due for a rebuild if the other suggestions don't pan out. It's possible they may be the original parts. Pinball Life is a very good company for replacement parts and they sell a full rebuild kit here: https://www.pinballlife.com/williams-flipper-rebuild-kit-041969-to-121979.html

I'd also recommend new flipper bats too: https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-bat-and-shaft-assemblies-no-logo.html

Welcome to the addiction (er, hobby!)

Always come ask for help here if you run into any further problems/questions, there's lots of great folks here that will be happy to help you out!

Enjoy your pin!

#3 3 years ago

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the reply.

I will give it a shot with the existing parts and see if a little Loctite doesn’t do the trick.

If not, I will use the link you provided and Do a flipper replace.

Thank you!!!

#4 3 years ago

Any time! Be sure to follow up here with any further questions or problems you may encounter along the way. Also, i recommend taking lots of pictures of anything you're going to take apart. They will come in handy later when putting it all back together. Take your time, and you'll be flipping again soon enough!

Good luck!

#5 3 years ago

Thank you again.

I will follow up on this thread to post what is hopefully a successful fix.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the back box off for transport down into my basement! I’m nervous about removing and disconnecting the wiring.

It seems simple enough, just nerve wracking since it’s all so new.

Any tips for removing the back box on this machine? I will definitely take pictures of everything before disassembly. I made that mistake a month or two ago before replacing a thermostat! What a pain!

#6 3 years ago

I think this one has a bunch of connectors between the head and cabinet that need to be disconnected if you want to remove the head. Have you removed the backglass before? You'll need to do so to access the connectors in the backbox, in addition to the bolts etc for removing it as well.

You must be extra careful though, as there are 2 big connector blocks (I think they're 36 pins each) that are keyed the same way--so it's possible to reverse the plugs and do a lot of damage to the game. Take pics, write on the connectors, whatever you need to do--but be sure to note which is which. If you are unsure, match up the wire colors on each side of the connector. Just *don't mix them up*. Post here if you have any uncertainty before turning it back on. Those connectors can be a bit difficult to unplug sometimes, but don't pull on the wiring--just the housings. There's probably gonna be a total of 7-10 connectors that will need to be unplugged. Note it's not the connectors to the boards you're unplugging, but rather the rectangular-shaped connectors you'll find if you reach into the opening in the center of the backbox once you've gotten the backglass off and opened the display/lighting panel.

Also there will likely be a metal, braided ground strap that runs from the cabinet up to the backbox and gets screwed down to the ground braid (or grounded metal plate) in the backbox. Might be a screw or a wing-nut holding it down, but there should be something there. You need to remove that for transport and reconnect it once you're set up in the new spot.

And the power cord! Don't forget to pull the power cord out of the cabinet and lay it into the cut-out on the cabinet before putting the head on! I've done that more times than I'd like to admit, lol

I think that should cover everything, but again--just post here if you have any questions along the way.

Also, here's a pic of the bigger connectors i was referencing earlier--you don't want to mix these two up (they are mixed in this pic--white should have gone to white and black to black. I just wanted to give you a visual reference)

1898445531.png1898445531.png

#7 3 years ago

You have really been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!

I will be sure to post here as I go, should I have any questions.

#8 3 years ago

You're most welcome! It's really a wonderful hobby, and it's my pleasure to help you navigate your way into it.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

#9 3 years ago

So I went ahead today and used the blue (weaker) Loctite on the two flipper set screws.

One thing I did notice, I removed the whole flipper just to look at the post, is that the post is seriously chewed up. Huge indentations, gouges etc. it’s no wonder the screws have been coming loose.

I went ahead and used the Loctite, Then tightened the set screws as much as I could without breaking anything.

We will see if that does the trick.

If not, I have a technician scheduled to come out on June 11 to check the flipper out, and give the machine a once over for me. I’m sure he can replace what needs replaced.

His name is “Pinball Paul“ out of Northern VA where I live. Anyone know of him?

Wish me luck! I’m gonna give the Loctite and screws 24 hours then try it all out one last time.

#10 3 years ago

Nice! Hopefully that will being results, but based on what you saw you may want to consider a rebuild anyway. If that does it for now though, you should be good to go for the meantime.

Good luck!

#11 3 years ago

Thanks again for your help and suggestions frunch.

Tomorrow or Saturday I will start working on removing the back box so I can move the machine.

Hopefully that goes smoothly.

#12 3 years ago

You're most welcome! Good luck with the relocation. Just remember to take lots of pics of everything as you take it apart!

#13 3 years ago

So I got the back glass off no problem.

Now I’m trying to open the cabinet of the back box but I’m confused... is there a latch I need to release?

This bottom latch seems simple enough, lifts up and down (last two pics)

But then the first pic shows a latch that I can’t access and it seems to be holding the cabinet closed?

Second photo shows the whole cabinet with the two latches.

Hinges on left side.

Sorry the pics are sideways and also not in order... I’m pinball AND tech illiterate

Any suggestions?
    3AACCF37-F69C-4658-BC53-A1C5C27FD780 (resized).jpeg3AACCF37-F69C-4658-BC53-A1C5C27FD780 (resized).jpegA07A09B1-A9E8-43C3-8180-2974771EB38F (resized).jpegA07A09B1-A9E8-43C3-8180-2974771EB38F (resized).jpeg502725D3-3087-4090-9DDA-628DFC110788 (resized).jpeg502725D3-3087-4090-9DDA-628DFC110788 (resized).jpeg5E24279F-660B-4F2D-A7A0-E938EBB08C6C (resized).jpeg5E24279F-660B-4F2D-A7A0-E938EBB08C6C (resized).jpeg

#14 3 years ago

Ok Nevermind!!!!! I’m a dummy. It was just sort of stuck shut, but opened just fine.

Now onto disconnecting. Wow, lots going on in here.

#15 3 years ago

Take lots of pics! You may have to reach down the hole in the center of the backbox to grab the connectors.

#16 3 years ago

So the machine was disassembled,
    moved and has now been reassembled and is working perfectly in its permanent spot.

Frunch, you have been really really kind and helpful. I greatly appreciate it.

#17 3 years ago

Good job, that's terrific news! I'm glad i was able to help you out.

Always feel free to reach out to me here or privately if you have any questions moving forward, I'm always happy to help. Enjoy your game!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-world-cup-flipper-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.