(Topic ID: 310714)

1978 playboy Backbox lights not Working??

By Jasenwm

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jasenwm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16466924441564262543599345649821 (resized).jpg
    16466924248082923729386957367170 (resized).jpg
    16466914609026610268216995761295.jpg
    16466913665597905845716898124518.jpg
    #1 2 years ago

My 1978 playboy pinball backglass lights a the sudden won't turn on? I turned the game on the other day and the static backglass lights are out. Everything else works and plays like it should. The lights that blink in the back box work but the ones that stay on all the time don't work. I've checked all the fuses, reseated the connectors, everything looks fine. Have no idea what is causing this??

#2 2 years ago

In other words, the backbox GI (general illumination) lights are out.

Any lights out on the playfield?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

In other words, the backbox GI (general illumination) lights are out.
    Any lights out on the playfield?

All the other lights and everything else works like normal. Just rge lights behind the back glass are out

#4 2 years ago

Did you check the fuses with a meter?

#5 2 years ago

The connector J3 on rectifier board at transformer has the backbox GI power. Look there for problems. Measure the AC voltage for GI there first.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kent_Diego:

The connector J3 on rectifier board at transformer has the backbox GI power. Look there for problems. Measure the AC voltage for GI there first.

Thank you I'll try that

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

Did you check the fuses with a meter?

Yeah I checked all fuses and reseated the connectors

#8 2 years ago

I'm stumped. I checked the fuses, reseated the connectors and checked all the voltage. Weird how litterly every light and function works but the back glass lights??

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I'm stumped. I checked the fuses, reseated the connectors and checked all the voltage. Weird how litterly every light and function works but the back glass lights??

If the voltages are correct on the appropriate connectors that are attached to the Rectifier Board/Transformer assembly, find the break between those connector pins and the lamp sockets. There are probably two circuits for the backglass lamps.

Usually, the connector pins are the problem.

#10 2 years ago

Edit: Never mind! MrBally beat me to it.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If the voltages are correct on the appropriate connectors that are attached to the Rectifier Board/Transformer assembly, find the break between those connector pins and the lamp sockets. There are probably two circuits for the backglass lamps.
    Usually, the connector pins are the problem.

I'm going to check when I get home. I forgot to mention I don't know if it matters but all the boards in the machine are new after market ones not the older originals

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

It's not weird, this stuff happens all the time on 45 year old games. You don't have a lot of things not working, you simply have ONE thing not working (those lights are all tied together). It's not like your game suddenly developed a dozen problems.

As has been said many times it's probably a connector. Reseating it might not work if the connector is in bad shape. Maybe send us some photos of the fuses and rectifier connectors and we'll see if anything is amiss.

Also, remove the fuses from the holder before testing them, they will sometimes test good installed even if they are bad (I just had this happen on a Congo with a GI issue).

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not weird, this stuff happens all the time on 45 year old games. You don't have a lot of things not working, you simply have ONE thing not working (those lights are all tied together). It's not like your game suddenly developed a dozen problems.
    As has been said many times it's probably a connector. Reseating it might not work if the connector is in bad shape. Maybe send us some photos of the fuses and rectifier connectors and we'll see if anything is amiss.
    Also, remove the fuses from the holder before testing them, they will sometimes test good installed even if they are bad (I just had this happen on a Congo with a GI issue).

Ahhh I didn't remove the fuses before testing them. The machine was off and unplugged but I'll try that. I'll take some pics asap

#14 2 years ago

A blown G.I fuse will test good in circuit because the meter will get a "good reading" the other way around through the transformer and lamps which are very low resistance. So you must remove the fuse to test it effectively.

Having said that, the entire G.I in this game is fused by one fuse. So if the playfield G.I is working the fuse is not the problem.
    As MrBally stated, there are two sets of G.I circuit wires to the backbox that are connected together at each end. It would be a little unusual (though not impossible) for both circuits to fail at the same time. Pictures of the J3 connector on the rectifier board and also the block connector next to the backbox insert door will help.

You should check with your meter set on AC voltage if you measure around 7.8 volts AC at one of the actual lamp sockets that isn't working which will tell you if there's connector issues. On the chance you do get good voltage at a lamp socket it could be that all the backbox lamps are blown.

#15 2 years ago

This problem is almost always caused by burned connectors and pins on the rectifier.

1 week later
    #16 2 years ago

I checked all. The fuses, reseated the connectors and the pins look good, still nothing. Every other light and function works except the back glass and the led strip behind the topper

16466913665597905845716898124518.jpg16466913665597905845716898124518.jpg
    #17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

You should check with your meter set on AC voltage if you measure around 7.8 volts AC at one of the actual lamp sockets that isn't working which will tell you if there's connector issues.

Did you check this? How is the topper wired in?

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Did you check this? How is the topper wired in?

The topper is wired into the back box wiring. That black wire coming in from the top is the topper wiring

16466914609026610268216995761295.jpg16466914609026610268216995761295.jpg16466924248082923729386957367170 (resized).jpg16466924248082923729386957367170 (resized).jpg16466924441564262543599345649821 (resized).jpg16466924441564262543599345649821 (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago

My reading says 1. 1 when I test the bulb socket? So I'm guessing the bulbs aren't getting enough power?

#20 2 years ago

That's not right. Meter to VAC (volts AC), black lead to the ground strap in the head. Red lead to the always on GI light. Should be +/- 7 VAC.

#21 2 years ago

OK. 1.1 is different than the 11 you posted. You aren't getting enough voltages to the lamps.

#22 2 years ago

On the rectifier board, the J3 connector plug 10 orange wire and 11 red wire are the GI Buss. Confirm voltage there. Then J3 pin 1 green wire and pin 2 white are the backbox GI return. Check for voltage there. I bet if you just re-pin the entire the J3 the problem is fixed. The GI lamp circuits are always fried from the machine location history, being turned on for hours on end.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

On the rectifier board, the J3 connector plug 10 orange wire and 11 red wire are the GI Buss. Confirm voltage there. Then J3 pin 1 green wire and pin 2 white are the backbox GI return. Check for voltage there. I bet if you just re-pin the entire the J3 the problem is fixed. The GI lamp circuits are always fried from the machine location history, being turned on for hours on end.

Thank you so much I'll try it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-playboy-blackbox-lights-not-working- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.