New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 121545)

1978 Bally Star Trek

By Corvettelover

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by shacklersrevenge
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Today on Craigslist someone posted a Bally Star Trek that needs a "minor capacitor replacement". They're asking $675 for the unit plus original manuals. I'm jumping at the chance to buy this. What do you think is a good price not knowing anything else about the machine(Playfield and cabinet are in great condition)and what capacitors are known to leak?

#2 5 years ago

Very rare for a Bally Star Trek to have a ''great condition'' playfield, I have not seen one original that was not worn in some way.
However, CPR has done a run of playfields, I bought one from them as I have two Star Treks. One of mine is a great player, the other is in pieces but just about all there)

Other area of concern with these is the backglass, especially at the bottom (they bubble or flake) I got lucky with my two, one is very nice and one is near perfect.
Check for battery acid damage on the cpu, very common. Fixable, but a pain in the ass. Alltek cpu is a better bet, or a good solid used one for half the $$

I'm guessing the capacitor could be anything from the sound board or the driver board. The sound boards are rare/hard to find but if it's present there are people here that work on them. More than likely he is talking about a driver board capacitor. Alltek makes all the boards (except sound board) for these pins.

If things check out okay, then the price seems reasonable to me.

Good luck, fun pin.

#3 5 years ago

I agree. If the Playfield and cabinet truely are in great shape, I'd jump on it. Any board issues with these games are "generally" easy to fix at a reasonable cost. There's always a chance one of the boards is toast, but replacements aren't that difficult to find in used/working condition.

#4 5 years ago

i reviewed the star trek today and found no major problems with the boards, just a few cap replacements. The side art is a 9/10 with no major damage just some typical wear. Unfortunately the playfield had a lot of wear in the center.(needs whole playfield replacement). The Backglass has no damage to the upper portion but the bottom 2 inches are peeling but have not been damaged. ie. it looks like something delaminating. do you think $400-450 is worth it?

#5 5 years ago

bump

#6 5 years ago

The backglass you should be able to ''seal'', they are very hard to get as a replacement, so if it is something you can live with, (not having a perfect backglass) sounds like that backglass is okay.

At $400-450 you can't go wrong if you're into this style of game/early SS bally. It's a really fun game, fun with friends too.
The playfield, you can either play the hell out of it, try your hand at touchup or grab one of the few remaining CPR playfields hanging around and do a playfield swap.

I say go for it, what can you lose? Hell, the sounds board if it works is worth a $100 bucks all day long.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 159.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 103.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside