(Topic ID: 335291)

1978 Bally Playboy head box lighting question..

By rsparrish82

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Dakine747
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

656D7915-8FA8-46D8-8753-9608FFAAC56C (resized).jpeg
F57F9142-A872-4360-9BCA-0C3C2E604ACC (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello all!

I am absolutely new to the realm of pinball machine ownership, as I just inherited my grandfathers Bally Playboy machine of which he bought brand new and has only ever been used in his basement until we brought it to my house just this past weekend.

As I was checking things out with the help of various online sources as well as the original owners manual, I started to replace all the bulbs that were out, as he had a stockpile of replacement bulbs in the case under the playfield.

I have only had time to do the head box itself, and after replacing all the bulbs I could see were visually bad I’ve come to the conclusion that either a circuit or socket set up might be bad for the “high score to date” at the top center of the box, the “ball in play” bulbs on the right center, and then the player #2 in the upper right, and the corresponding 2 down in the lower left in the 1-4 area (1,3, and 4) all light up in that area and the rest of the head box).

I’m sure this has been covered before, but I have not had time to browse the entire forums.

The image I am adding is of the system test while pushing the red button on the coin door so the scores don’t light up

Thank you all in advance for the help!

-Ryan

F57F9142-A872-4360-9BCA-0C3C2E604ACC (resized).jpegF57F9142-A872-4360-9BCA-0C3C2E604ACC (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

Make sure you have current flowing to the socket. If not it could be a damaged wire/connector or a problem on the lamp board. If all good there (which will be more often than not) you need to deal with the socket itself. What you are going to find out is that Bally used cheap bulb sockets. You can try spraying modern electrical conductivity enhancer in the socket and push the bulb in/out several times to try to get it to come back to live. If all else fails then change the socket. If the former was true and there is no wire/connector issues you will probably need to change the corresponding transistor(s) on the lamp board to fix it.

BTW .. cool game to get as a HUO one. Let’s see some more pictures!

Mike V

#3 1 year ago

The scr’s to check are:
High score to date Q15
Ball in play Q16
2 can play Q18
2nd player up Q19
The first 2 are mcr106-1
The last 2 are 2n5060

#4 1 year ago

Perfect! Thank you both for the insight and information! I might not get to check until the weekend, but I will check back in once I do!

And yes, I will get more pictures. It has had multiple generations of family play it, and very routinely as well, holiday parties, birthday parties.. parties in general.. my grandparents loved to have people over. I’m just glad to have it and introduce my kids to it and hopefully keep it running and in the family as long as I can

#5 1 year ago

One other question.. the boxes he had of the #44 bulbs are older but all worked.. there were some bigger flasher ones too, but the instructions didn’t mention those, only the #44s so I think he added those behind Hugh and the two girls..

Any Recommendations for new replacements or even (don’t kill me yet) LEDs? I’ve heard stuff about them, but this seems like the place to ask that question too

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from rsparrish82:

One other question.. the boxes he had of the #44 bulbs are older but all worked.. there were some bigger flasher ones too, but the instructions didn’t mention those, only the #44s so I think he added those behind Hugh and the two girls..
Any Recommendations for new replacements or even (don’t kill me yet) LEDs? I’ve heard stuff about them, but this seems like the place to ask that question too

Use up the #44 bulbs if you have them, they work just fine for now.

The larger bulbs are likely #63 (7v) bulbs for the flashers. Look closely at the base the bulb number is either printed or stamped into the side of the base.

Check to be sure.

Dont get into LED's yet. Its quite a journey.

Yoppcicle led sticks are what you want to LED a playboy.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/yoppsicle-led-stick

#7 1 year ago

Alright! I will stick with the incandescent bulbs then until I get more adventurous. The Yoppcicle leds look really nice.. but definitely a project. What if an any reputable brands would you recommend for the incandescent bulbs? Or just ones with good ratings on Amazon? The bulbs I have that came with it look like they were made in the 80s at least..

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from rsparrish82:

47s are another option as they produce less heat and are less damaging on the paint/inserts. LEDs are the best for overall BUT they will require at a minimum an upgrade/change of the lamp board. Yoppcicles are a good choice but will require the most work.

Mike V

#9 1 year ago

Bulbs aside for now.. let’s say I do need to replace components in the lamp driver board for the items that aren’t working… I’ve not had much practice soldering on pcb… just big stuff like auto wiring.. are there direct replacement lamp driver boards still available?

#10 1 year ago

I get all my boards from Allteksystems for early Bally and Stern SS.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from rsparrish82:

Bulbs aside for now.. let’s say I do need to replace components in the lamp driver board for the items that aren’t working… I’ve not had much practice soldering on pcb… just big stuff like auto wiring.. are there direct replacement lamp driver boards still available?

They are available.

You can also send them out for repair, which is preferred since your game is home use only.

There are many repair people to choose from here on pinside.

Coin op cauldron

Chris hibler

And a few others.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from rsparrish82:

Go thru the basic troubleshooting here:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern

Things are never what they seem.

Most problems are related to loose/corroded connections or wires that fell off or lose corroded or blown fuses..

Most repairs are easy enough to do if you just do a little research and take your time.

#13 1 year ago

The major advantage to LED’s is the lack of heat that they produce. This lack of heat will serve to preserve the backglass and plastic inserts that are an integral part of the game.

If you just put in LED’s they will tend to flicker. There is a simple method to address this and I think Alltek as well as others have a plug and play modification to address this flickering.

I recently rehabbed a PB and went with LED’s but also all new lamp sockets as has been mentioned, the originals were not very good.

Yoppsicle’s are certainly an option but I chose to keep it more original and use new lamp sockets. It was just an effort to keep it more original and if one wanted to could always put incandescent’s back in or, change the leds easily to another color temp or color all together.

Great game. Fast. Fun. Easy to play without having a phd.

Enjoy!!

#14 1 year ago

Comet as well as Marco sell the plug and play flicker preventers. They go in the lamp driver board. There is one wire that is then attached to the braid inside the back side of the backbox which provides power. Ten minute install fir even a novice if you choose to go that route

#15 1 year ago

If batteries are still on the board get them off. Either remote mount them or replace the 5101 chip with a nvram

#16 1 year ago

#44 lamps are also responsible for rectifier board female connector burn marks, because of the extra current draw of the many 44’s used in the backbox general illumination. 47’s or 1847’s are a better choice.

#17 1 year ago

I’d check the other options before sending a board for repair or getting a new one. Your weakest links are the light sockets and the connectors. You are only working with six volts. Open the head and wiggle the bulb in the socket, wiggle the tab on the back of the socket, and wiggle the connector (slightly pulling it partially off and on). If no change, it’s time to learn how to use a meter. The game is 45 years old. Eventually, you will need to troubleshoot. Lighting is probably the easiest place to begin.

#18 1 year ago

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

#19 1 year ago

I want to see more pics of the game itself -

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

Thank you! I will check it out. I wasn’t sure where to post as I am still ‘green’ on the subject. I am definitely making headway though. I need to take time with a multimeter this weekend and test sockets and such. Was able to replace and re seat about 11 bulbs down in the the playfield today, so another small victory today at least.

I want to thank everyone who has replied and pointed me in very good directions! I need to practice my skill with solder and pcb board before I start changing out any small items on my own if need be, but at the same time, it would be well worth it to take it to a professional if I have to.. this one is more family value than anything.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from rsparrish82:

Alright! I will stick with the incandescent bulbs then until I get more adventurous.

I got my first game 2 1/2 years ago, also the Playboy. This is my machine before LED and after. For me, the reasons to use LEDs far outweighed the reasons why I shouldn’t.

656D7915-8FA8-46D8-8753-9608FFAAC56C (resized).jpeg656D7915-8FA8-46D8-8753-9608FFAAC56C (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-bally-playboy-head-box-lighting-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.