Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PinballLife_Bally_FlipperMechBase.jpg
Flipper_Bally-1979c.jpg
IMG_0013a.jpg
20200707_151451.jpg
20200707_151417.jpg
#1 3 years ago

I'm bringing my Bally Playboy up to snuff and I just happened to notice the flipper alignment seems a little bit off but I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

Here are two videos/gifs of the flippers. To check the alignment as best I could I mirrored the left flipper onto the right flipped and toggled that image overlay on and off so you can see the difference.

I've also uploaded the full images. Notice how the guide under the left flipper is placed differently than the right flipper. Is this intentional? I want the flippers to be set up properly, even if that means they're not even.

Are these supposed to be like this or do I need to adjust the alignment somehow?

20200707_151417.jpg20200707_151417.jpg20200707_151451.jpg20200707_151451.jpg

#2 3 years ago

See the dimple in the playfield near the tip of the flipper? That should be where you center the flipper bat. It should be dead center of the flipper end. Use a 1/8" hex to loosen the flipper linkage and adjust it.

#3 3 years ago

What tomdrum said.

See below example from Medusa regarding the flipper alignment dimples: Yours are less obvious but are there.

IMG_0013a.jpgIMG_0013a.jpg

#4 3 years ago

I've aligned the flippers in their relaxed state to the spot on the playfield. The game plays surprisingly differently with this little adjustment. I used to have trouble hitting certain shots that are now a bit easier.

When actuated they still are not lined up and looking under the playfield I see that the coil plunger does not depress the same amount on both flippers. The spring side of the plunger is out about 1/16" more than the other. I took the coil stop out of both and it looked used but not terrible and they were mostly even. Same with the plunger though I didn't take it all the way out. Regardless I'm going to grab a flipper rebuild kit and see how that goes.

#5 3 years ago

If the plunger and coil stops are roughly the same length, then one of the flipper stop brackets may have moved/bent and needs to be adjusted.

PinballLife_Bally_FlipperMechBase.jpgPinballLife_Bally_FlipperMechBase.jpg
Flipper_Bally-1979c.jpgFlipper_Bally-1979c.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-bally-playboy-flipper-alignment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.