• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5005 (resized).JPG
IMG_5006 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

It has been a while that I have repaired a pinball machine. I recently purchased a Bally 78 Playboy that has been sitting in storage for a long time. It lights up but no game comes on. What I can see so far. The F2 fuse was blown. I replaced it and it blew again. The only other thing I can see is a burnt resistor on the solenoid driver board. I am asking for some advice before I go down the repair road.

IMG_5005 (resized).JPGIMG_5005 (resized).JPGIMG_5006 (resized).JPGIMG_5006 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Start with a multi meter on the rectifier board after checking all fuses values. See this site:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from rhobson1968:

The only other thing I can see is a burnt resistor on the solenoid driver board.

That's a diode, i.e. a 1N4004 or 1N4007 will do. It's for the flipper enable relay just under it. Being blown like that means it got hit with some serious voltage/current.

#4 3 years ago

Start by unplugging all boards and leave only the cabinet connector on the rectifier board. Get that operational with the correct voltages on the test points and go from there. Since you have burned up parts on the SD board you will need to check the wires on the connectors on the rectifier boards and make sure none of them were miswired. It's not unusual for there to be burning on the rectifier board connectors. If yours are burned order a rebuild kit from Big Daddy and rebuild the connectors. Double and triple check the wiring if it looks like someone has tried repining the connectors. Once you are satisficed the rectifier board is working properly move on to the SD board power supply connections. Everything must be fixed on that board before you move on from there.

Post photos of the other boards so we can comment on condition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-bally-playboy-1?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.