1978 bally lost world. Credit/start button issues..

(Topic ID: 225085)

1978 bally lost world. Credit/start button issues..

By drewblaz

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by drewblaz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180910_040532 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Hello I havent been on here in a while since I finished restoring my Lost World. I just came into a problem. When I turn the machine on everything works, sound, solenoids, lights, scoreboards, etc...... but when I got hit the start button, nothing happens. I thought I might have been the diode on the switch. It was a 1n4004 but all I had was a 1n4007 soooo I swapped it out anyways and nothing happened. I traced both wires going to the backbox. And 1 wire going to the MPU J3 2 down. And the other wire goes to the MPU J3 3rd from the bottom. I also tested DC voltage on the wires from the switch and im getting only 1.5.

20180910_040532 (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago

That voltage sounds fine. They're pulsed. 1n4007 is fine too. Are you sure the direction is right? Cleaned the contacts with a business card? Try touching a wire to the two lugs of the switch? Checked if it registers in switch test?

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That voltage sounds fine. They're pulsed. 1n4007 is fine too. Are you sure the direction is right? Cleaned the contacts with a business card? Try touching a wire to the two lugs of the switch? Checked if it registers in switch test?

The direction of the diode i put on is fine. I cleaned the contacts. Im not sure I understand what you mean by try touching a wire to the 2 lugs of the switch. Do switches normally go bad?? Because I have a brand new MPU board and I re-pinned EVERY WIRE on my entire pinball machine so I dont think its something in the backbox. The only thing I really can think of is a bad switch if they even go bad??

#4 3 months ago
Quoted from drewblaz:

The direction of the diode i put on is fine. I cleaned the contacts. Im not sure I understand what you mean by try touching a wire to the 2 lugs of the switch. Do switches normally go bad?? Because I have a brand new MPU board and I re-pinned EVERY WIRE on my entire pinball machine so I dont think its something in the backbox. The only thing I really can think of is a bad switch if they even go bad??

Not often, but I've had switch issues. There are too lugs pointing downwards. One is covered by a bit of rubber tube. If you connect them together, the switch should register. If you connect the two lugs with wires soldered to them, the switch should also register (this bypasses the diode as well). If not that you can try removing the connectors on the mpu and touching those two pins together right on the mpu to rule out the wiring harness.

#5 3 months ago

Are there creditds on the machine? Does the button register in self test? Do the coin switches register?

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Are there creditds on the machine? Does the button register in self test? Do the coin switches register?

Thank Al,
Im actually just a full blown idiot....... yeah there were no credits on the machine.... I can't believe im that dumb. I was testing voltage, I re soldered a new diode. Tested pins...... I thought it might have been an MPU issues so I tried resetting everything. I have it set up on my Lost World where pretty much everything gives you free credits. So like 40 credits will last monthsss, plus you get more while playing... so I barley ever have to give credits. Its been awhile and now I feel dumb lol. Well thanks a lot guys. Everything is fine on my machine now.... I appreciate the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside