10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by sgtgunner
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippers_com.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from sgtgunner:

I just picked up a 1978 Superman pinball. Everything functioned great for about two days, then the scoreboards just went out. I checked the fuses and all seemed okay - I replaced them anyways but still didn't work.
It is all of the scoreboard LEDs and 4 lights on the playfield that went out - I'm assuming they are connected somehow. I checked all of the wiring harnesses and they all seem tight with no loose connections.
I'm not sure where to look next - hoping someone can give me a few pointers. This is my first pin and am looking forward to restoring it.
I can provide pictures if that would help - just not sure what to take a picture of.
Thanks.

Does the game work otherwise? In other words do you get three balls, flipper action, pops, kickers and scoring noises, and then the game finishes up and the Game Over light comes on?

If not then something has gone wrong, start with my tips here:

http://flippers.com/atari_pin_service.html

After that post results and you may get some help. Tell us what you did and what the game does in response...

John :-#)#

1 week later
#4 10 years ago

Interesting failure. All the other lights work in the game? Did you try the Lamp Test to check that out?

The displays run off much the same power as the rest of the game, so I'd be looking for loose connections on the plugs on the MPU that feed the displays...try disconnecting all the displays except for the 1st player (power off!) and then turn on and see if it lights up. Note that the first press of the Self Test button is Display Test, they should display all the numbers in sequence on all digits at the same time. If the 1st player doesn't work, then (game off!!) unplug it and try the 2nd player.

What I am trying to find here is that one display could take down all the rest, so we are trying each display separately (and Display Test each) to see if that is the problem.

Check that the proper voltages are present at the displays before going too far - schematics are a big help here. I sell large size copies (22 X 34) or 11X17s that are quite legible by the way...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippers_com.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-atari-superman-pinball-scoreboard-leds-do-not-light-up?tu=Flippers_com and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.