• Latest reply 6 years ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I got this game from a collector a few weeks ago and for the most part everything works great. The problem I'm having is the Ball Count Unit is not stepping up twice in one player mode. This results in getting twice as many balls on one player (I have it set on 3, so I get 6 on one player). When the first ball drains, the 1st player light turns off and the ball count light stays on 1. The second player light does not light up and scoring continues to go to player 1. When the third ball comes out, 1st player light turns on again and ball count light 2 comes on. Then the same process described is repeated until game over. It works fine in 2 player mode (as the Ball Count S.U. coil only needs to fire once). So the problem is that somewhere it is not getting the second pulse in 1 player mode.

Best I have been able to do is trace this to the 2nd Coin relay, Outhole relay, Ball Index relay and score motor switch 3a. All seem to be resetting properly and making good connections. Has anyone had this problem before? I posted a link to the schem - - I'm looking in the C9 - E9 area.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1436/Williams_1977_Liberty_Bell_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

I suggest you also check motor 2a as on the attached schematic.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

I discounted motor 2a because it trips the credit up coil for number match (which seems to work fine), but that could very well be the spot. I just got back from the store with alligator clips and wire. I'll add that to the test list--hopefully will know where the problem is in a few minutes. Thanks HowardR!

#4 6 years ago

I hit the 2nd Coin Re. switch highlighted in the post above with the clips ... and it worked! I will pull that relay tomorrow and clean contacts tomorrow. On closer inspection of the relay, the trip coil in the machine is an M-28-700 and documentation calls for M-29-1000. While the leafs look like they are making contact, could this make any kind of difference in performance? I'm new to EM and haven't gotten far enough to learn the differences in coil magnetism.

Will mark thread as solved if cleaning the switches gets it done.

#5 6 years ago

Switches have to do more than just touch and be clean. The long blade has to move the short blade a little bit.
The coil shouldn't affect that if its physical size is right.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Switches have to do more than just touch and be clean. The long blade has to move the short blade a little bit.
The coil shouldn't affect that if its physical size is right.

This solved it. It still didn't work after cleaning so I watched as it latched in reset. Made the adjustment and it is working. Thanks Howard!

Still a couple more things to fix on here, but nothing as big a deal to game play as this was. I'm trying to do everything on my own so I can learn, but this being my first EM I was a little nervous about moving stuff too much.

#7 6 years ago

And thanks for upvoting my post

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-williams-liberty-bell-ball-count-su-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.