Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Brokedad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

I have a great condition Stern Stampede that I just purchased from a gut who has had it probably form the start. It was his grandfathers and he remembers playing it about 30 years ago. Has 33,000 plays total.

My issue is the second fuse down from the top in the five fuse stack keeps blowing up as soon as I hit the credit button to play. It is a 15 amp 30 v spot. I am not pinball savy or electronic savy to boot. Is this an easy fix and or where should I look to diagnose the issue. I have no manuals with this machine. I am very interested in purchasing more in future and would like to begin learning basic fixing up on the machines.

Thanks for any and all help here,

Jim

#2 13 years ago

At first thought I'd say a short in one of the wires,
perhaps a few pics of the fuse area and Credit unit is in order?
you wouldn't believe how much a picture helps.

Check the credit unit first make sure with the game off (no power)
that you can add & subtract mechanically with ease .
usually when a game sits the stepper units seize up a bit

#3 13 years ago

I'm sure Steve Young at www.pbresource.com has a schematic and manual for it.
Whenever I want a hard to find schematic, manual, or old custom plastic part I look there first. The A-Go-Go I'm selling isn't on the list but he had copies.

#4 13 years ago

Thanks and just added a picture of another unit for help off internet and learned more as follows.

The fuse blows right after I plug in the machine and fire it up hitting the credit button. I put a stronger fuse of 20 in it and it and when doing the same procedure I blew the first fuse on top now. It appears when the game is firing up after the credit button is pushed is the cause. The fuse that blows has a white with green specked wiring. Is it possible to trace this wire to the issue? I have included a picture of another stampede from the internet to help and....!

Just traced the white wire with green specs and it goes all the way to the back of the bottom of cabinet to a larger device in the center of it. See picture and you can see the device or unit which is the largest in the center of cabinet back bottom. http://www.ipdb.org/images/5232/image-13.jpg

Thanks

#5 13 years ago

Well it would be better off if we had a pic of your game and the reason being is that a lot of things can happen to a game over the years, hacks/mods or perhaps things put in wrong or upside down. It's just a point that someone may see something out of place and may chime in, may save a lot of time in the long run

#6 13 years ago

Never ever put in a larger fuse to fix a problem. AF is the EM expert here with others. Sounds like you have a bad credit wheel coil or one in the process of resetting the machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-stampede-fuse-keeps-blowing-out-when-hit-credit-button-to-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.