View topic image gallery

8E07ABAD-E70C-403A-9EE9-4F20F55BEF87 (resized).jpeg
E14C6D60-C199-4DEC-A468-43EF7B53E9A2 (resized).jpeg
FCAB7864-EA83-4211-9C5C-F72EFD299517 (resized).jpeg
115D6EE5-2251-4BCE-926E-5180C7405478 (resized).jpeg
D942A526-0DA9-4016-BAD0-C58ECC3EED76 (resized).jpeg
5EC1CB3D-A2AD-4D7D-9845-5C7863CC03C5 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

I have this JQ. It works really well and is quite clean inside and out for a 40+ year old pin.

I have this set up next to a pinbot with newly rebuilt flippers (by me) and an Addams family. Of course the games are going to feel different, and I don’t have much experience with EMs, but the flippers feel a weak to me (there are 4 flippers, 2 normal and 2 mini).

Looking at the mechs, they seem quite clean. The parts actually look so clean that I suspect they might have been rebuilt recently. I have no idea on service history, only work I did was clean and wax, lamps, new ball, rubber rings and shooter rebuild. Game was purchased from an experienced pinsider.

The mechs look fiddly to rebuild with the fiber piece and the roll pin to deal with...

What do you think, rebuild or leave well enough alone?

115D6EE5-2251-4BCE-926E-5180C7405478 (resized).jpeg115D6EE5-2251-4BCE-926E-5180C7405478 (resized).jpeg5EC1CB3D-A2AD-4D7D-9845-5C7863CC03C5 (resized).jpeg5EC1CB3D-A2AD-4D7D-9845-5C7863CC03C5 (resized).jpeg8E07ABAD-E70C-403A-9EE9-4F20F55BEF87 (resized).jpeg8E07ABAD-E70C-403A-9EE9-4F20F55BEF87 (resized).jpegD942A526-0DA9-4016-BAD0-C58ECC3EED76 (resized).jpegD942A526-0DA9-4016-BAD0-C58ECC3EED76 (resized).jpegE14C6D60-C199-4DEC-A468-43EF7B53E9A2 (resized).jpegE14C6D60-C199-4DEC-A468-43EF7B53E9A2 (resized).jpegFCAB7864-EA83-4211-9C5C-F72EFD299517 (resized).jpegFCAB7864-EA83-4211-9C5C-F72EFD299517 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

I would start by disassembling and cleaning everything like the nylon pivots, the plunger sleeve etc. and making sure all the connections to the coils are solid and the EOS switches are cleaned and gapped correctly. See if there is noticeable slop at those points on the fiber link and replace if necessary though that wouldn't by itself make them feel 'weak'. But yes a Pinbot or Addams Family will seem stronger than an EM in comparison. And maybe locate whatever relays enable the flippers and clean those switches if haven't already.

#3 4 years ago

I would start with the 3" flippers. The coil sleeves look old and discolored and it appears there might be a bit of rust or pitting on the plungers. I would just replace the coil sleeves and take some steel wool to the plunger surfaces. New sleeves will often make a small, but noticable difference. Also make sure that the End-of-Stroke switches do not open until the last couple mm. Might also back the return spring off by 1/3 revolution and see if the flippers still return cleanly to the rest position.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks Runbikeskilee and @frenchmarky

if I disassemble everything, I might as well reassemble with new stuff. for $40 in parts it's worth it to me.

I'll probably just rebuild them because then it will be good for as long as I own the machine and I can stop thinking about it

#5 4 years ago

When you reassemble, make sure the coil brackets are nice and tight against the coils - you don't want any movement. In those pics above, it looks like one or two of the brackets are a little loose.

#6 4 years ago

You won't need to replace the links and plungers unless they show wear. If the links show play around the roll pin, then yes, they should be changed out. The plungers would need to be seriously deformed or worn. Mushrooming on the end can usually be filed off. Do not use lubricant of any kind when servicing these.

#7 4 years ago

Is high tap an option on this machine? You might try that if cleaning your flippers doesn't provide the results you expect.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Is high tap an option on this machine? You might try that if cleaning your flippers doesn't provide the results you expect.

I haven’t googled or searched “high tap.” Does this have something to do with changing the secondary on a transformer coil?

#9 4 years ago

I'm not an EE, so not sure about how you phrased it, but probably.

Look at your transformer, gottlieb's had high and low taps labeled on the top lugs. there are a few threads here on Pinside with pics.

It can help, but is still secondary to well working flippers.

#10 4 years ago

If your flippers are strong enough to knock down the drop targets and hit those upper kick-out holes, they are probably fine. A little cleaning and EOS adjusting would probably give you a little more. High tapping more still.

The only reason I could think of to buy a rebuild kit is if the holes in your flipper fiber are elongated.

I think your two solid state games might be influencing your opinion of these flippers. Short of converting them to DC, they are never going to feel anything like your other games.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

If your flippers are strong enough to knock down the drop targets and hit those upper kick-out holes, they are probably fine. A little cleaning and EOS adjusting would probably give you a little more. High tapping more still.
The only reason I could think of to buy a rebuild kit is if the holes in your flipper fiber are elongated.
I think your two solid state games might be influencing your opinion of these flippers. Short of converting them to DC, they are never going to feel anything like your other games.

This is probably true. But I'm also a crazy person that is bothered unless I can be sure things are serviced.

My internet search travels have led me to discover "yellow dot" and "red dot" solenoids. I'll probably do the rebuild and change out the solenoids to a snappier version, maybe the yellow dot ones. I don't love the idea of changing the xfmr secondary. (I took a look and it's on the standard tap). Thanks fellow pinheads.

#12 4 years ago

If you go with the yellow dots, you might want to pick up a new set of drop targets too.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

If you go with the yellow dots, you might want to pick up a new set of drop targets too.

Jungle Queens drop targets are angled in a way that making your flippers too strong will probably crack the heads off the drop targets in a short period of time. And if my experience is any indication it will be the center target that breaks first, as a new EM owner you will love replacing drop targets when they break (not).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-jungle-queen-do-i-need-to-rebuild-my-flippers-opinions-wanted?hl=bospins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.