IMG_20220220_042618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220219_233027 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220219_231549 (resized).jpg
Jacks Open JX relay (resized).jpg
IMG_2860 (resized).jpg
16451741506166428034470855148665 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220213_022414 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello again, I just picked up 1977 Gottlieb Jacks Open. I tweaked some minor worms but I'm stuck on Point adjustment score, it simply doesn't fire at all at any point structure. I have the replay score set at 130k 180k & 190k. It awards replays when you score the lit "special" target but won't award anything on points! I will send schematics(for education purpose only) I have a cheap phone, so I couldn't draw what I think is the path,

but basically I'm following the path yel-bl wire to the make it or break it switch "jx" with a mar-or wire or Mar+yel to point score adj then out through 10k unit down to "15 pos switch" which should be closed to fire "add replay unit". Am I missing something? If not where is this "15 pos switch" located ??? That's the only thing I can't verify. Thank you. I will be back at it Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully one of you guys can leed me to the right track... Another problem is some relays are missing that nice yellow sticker to identify relay#. But I got most of it sorted out talk soon :0)

IMG_20220213_022414 (resized).jpgIMG_20220213_022414 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

The 15 position switch is a switch on the replay unit that opens when the replay unit reaches 15.

#3 2 years ago

It is not adding the replay, but is it knocking? The 15 Pos Switch would block the replay addition, but not the knock. Does everything work for match (knock + replay)?

The most common issue is the ah... common wire, attached to the 10,000's score reel circuit card. Is the YEL+GR wire firmly attached to the "C" position on the circuit card?

#4 2 years ago

Ok *damoib* I will look into this matter on Tuesday. I appreciate any help

#5 2 years ago

Ok @Damoid. Look like that yel+ gr wire is attached to c-position
Now for the match replay feature, it dosent knock and it dosent reward the free replay

16451741506166428034470855148665 (resized).jpg16451741506166428034470855148665 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

It only awards a replay when you go through drop target sequence and the red light goes on for "all targets down special" if you get all targets down you get a replay and knocker

#7 2 years ago

Check out goat shed videos. Kim does a video on something to check when looking for match or scoring problems. He explains this on a gottlieb bronco that has the same type of score reel wiper board that yours does. Sorry I don’t know how to make the link for it.

#8 2 years ago

Use a jumper wire to test the path you have described.

For example, you can bypass the JX relay and score reel circuit card by connecting the YEL-BL wire to the YEL+GR wire coming from that "C" terminal. This jumper would cause a replay and knock on every 10,000 score reel increment. Does the replay work in this case?

#9 2 years ago

I will be back at it this evening when I get home. This worm has really got me puzzled.

#10 2 years ago

@Damoib. Late night early morning again...m

Ok jumping those two wires on 10k score reel works. Knock and replay every 10k points

#11 2 years ago

I re-checked score motor4d. Switch looks gapped correctly, gave it a courtesy clean, yel-bl wire is intact .

#12 2 years ago

Great - so the issue is either with the JX relay or the score reel. Just short the MAR-OR to the YEL+GR, which adds the JX sub 100,000 switch to the circuit. Should still knock and add replay every 10K and it should stop doing it when you cross 100,000 (assuming the credits are still below 15).

Where are the "0" and "1" jumpers set currently in the Point Score Adj jones plug?

#13 2 years ago

Ok Mar-Or wire from "JX" relay was jumped to the Yel+Gr wire from 10k reel, as a result it does not knock or give replay at any 10k scoring. I set the score at 130k 180k 190k. "1" jumper is set at 30k. "8" jumper at 80k. And "9" jumper at 90k

#14 2 years ago

Also by jumping those two wire, didn't activate JX relay. During normal play the JX relay does activate properly, and light 100k light

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

Ok Mar-Or wire from "JX" relay was jumped to the Yel+Gr wire from 10k reel, as a result it does not knock or give replay at any 10k scoring. I set the score at 130k 180k 190k. "1" jumper is set at 30k. "8" jumper at 80k. And "9" jumper at 90k

So, it looks like it is the 10k reel wiper or the common jumper causing the issue, could you take another picture of that common area on the 10k reel circuit card, it looks like you have 2 YEL+GR wires attached, do you also see a bare jumper wire? Similar to the attached pic?

IMG_2860 (resized).jpgIMG_2860 (resized).jpg
#16 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

Also by jumping those two wire, didn't activate JX relay. During normal play the JX relay does activate properly, and light 100k light

Possibly the 10K 9th position switch or the EOS switch got fouled up pulling the reel out. 10K reel was incrementing normally during your last test?

Interesting, I think the 10K EOS switch is named "10,000's Isolation Switch" on your schematic (attached). Don't know why they changed the name, it is called the "On Add 10,000's Unit" on my Volley schematic (and is the 10,000's EOS switch) - the wire colors are the same as yours.

Jacks Open JX relay (resized).jpgJacks Open JX relay (resized).jpg
#17 2 years ago

Yes you are right @DaMoib. There's two yel+gr wires... One welded to jumper the other welder to the C tab on reel

IMG_20220219_231549 (resized).jpgIMG_20220219_231549 (resized).jpg
#18 2 years ago

Ok I see a problem on of the end of switch stacks contact point broke off?

IMG_20220219_233027 (resized).jpgIMG_20220219_233027 (resized).jpg
#19 2 years ago

Here's a better pic? I guess pinball resource parts order?

IMG_20220220_042618 (resized).jpgIMG_20220220_042618 (resized).jpg
#20 2 years ago

What are the colors on that back (furthest from reel) switch with the broken blade/contact, I assume (based on the size of the contact) RED+WH and YEL-BL ? If so, that is the issue with the replay award.

Curious as to why the jumper from YEL-BL to the YEL+GR worked though... are there any switch parts laying around, maybe it was marginal and finally broke with all the handling of the reel? And JX should have been unaffected, assuming it's clean and gapped correctly. Both mysteries.

Yes, you're going to need to order a new one. A warning though, this is different from the EOS switch stack on your other reels. The 10K reel has two NO switches, the normal stack (on your other reels) has a single NC switch. Steve will know, based on the fact it's a 10K reel on a Jacks Open.

You should also order a bunch of switch parts (various blades and contacts) to be able to quickly fix these types of issues in the future.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

Yes you are right DaMoib. There's two yel+gr wires... One welded to jumper the other welder to the C tab on reel
[quoted image]

Well, that's probably not factory (the two YEL+GR are normally twisted together and soldered to the C solder pad), but it will work. I can see someone doing that out of frustration with the fragility (with only one wire, much less two) of solder connections to that C pad.

#22 2 years ago

A common problem with those wiper boards is on the foil side of the board. The bare wire jumper solder connections crack and stops the function from working. Also the c connection eyelet solder connection on the foil side of the board can crack and be hard to spot. Inspect and reflow connections if needed.

#23 2 years ago

Ok thank you guys for helping me. I will be back at it on Friday. I will call Steve pbr tomorrow morning, I was going to order parts for abracadabra, so I will add some jacks open to the list DaMoib the colour of the broken contact if I remember correctly was 3 colours if I recall. Black+red+yel. I will clarify it Friday. Yes I didnt see any broken switch blades. I acquired this machine last week so I vacuumed so of the dust. I wouldn't be surprised I vacuumed the switch blade :0( also the soldering of yel+gr wire in 10k reel jumper looks like amateur solder job, deffently not gottliebs

3 weeks later
#24 2 years ago

Still waiting for parts

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-gottlieb-jacks-open-point-score-adjustment?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.