You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

In January I picked up my first pin ever, a 1977 Gottlieb Cleopatra. It was cheap, but it had been played to death. So of course, like an idiot, I immediately bought it. Like the dope I am, I strapped the head to the body without unplugging the Jones plugs, took the legs off, and crammed it into my car. And I smiled the whole way home as the coin return flap dinged at me. Naturally, when I got home and set it up I put the legs on as if it didn't matter, and played it lopsided for a week. It didn't work when I bought it; all the lamps would light and the score motor would spin and stop, but it wouldn't reset the score reels or kick out the ball. Thanks to this forum, Clay's guide, Nick's podcast, and Steve at PBR, it's coming along pretty good.

Hey, a free jumper wire. Man, I really got over on that guy.
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
That's not factory.
I also found these in the bottom of the cabinet, and they've been giving me nightmares ever since.

So anyway, I've since replaced the power cord, cleaned the jones plugs, fixed a jumper on the bonus unit, replaced the burnt out coils in the Q-Game Over and U-1st Ball relays, and fixed a mangled switch stack on the S-Start relay. I've cleaned (but not rebuilt) the steppers, the action seems OK to my untrained eye. I should finish the last of the score reel cleaning today.

Here's where I'm at now: I can almost play a full game. If I power up with a credit on the replay unit, pressing the start button ejects a ball and subtracts from the replay unit. Playfield scoring seems OK (although there is a hum from the sequence bank whenever a 500 point switch is hit), and it cycles between balls properly. When the third ball drains (it's set to 3 ball), the bonus count doesn't seem to end. It will stop adding to the score reel, but the P1 and P4 lights on the backglass will be lit, the score motor will spin forever, and the Coin Unit and O-Ball Return relay "pulse".

This can be interrupted by dropping a coin to start a new game, by pressing the start button when a replay is available on the Replay Unit, or by turning it off and back on. I thought I read that the P1/P4 lights are related to the Coin Unit somehow?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help!

p.s. I have the schematic.

#2 8 years ago

Correction: a coin drop doesn't reset it, but using a banked replay will, if you press the start button at the right time.

#3 8 years ago

sounds like you are almost there. the player unit,and coin unit work together, i think. don't have that pin, but sounds like the bonus unit is not talkin to the next item to reset.
I would start with the player unit, and coin unit, then bonus unit. and see what happens.
for the 500 issue, start game,lift play field, remove ball, , hit 500 targets and watch what is goin on.

#4 8 years ago

We need a sticky subject that says if you're buying your first EM, don't buy a multiplayer.

#5 8 years ago

After fooling with it some more, I think it may be the game over relay. If I nudge the stack during the endless cycle, the game over relay will catch and stick. Perhaps I fudged it when I changed the coil, or maybe it was never right.

#6 8 years ago

Hi t-a-h-t
I do not know - I am guessing. I look at the schema "Royal Flush" - also a rather "modern Gottlieb having thes "not liked" Interlock-Relays AX-for-Resetting-Relay and BX-Last-Ball-Relay. I am guessing "Your pin does not realize the LAST-Ball is given - played - lost".

Do You have a schema "Cleopatra" ? The way it is handled in Royal Flush: At Start-up the Interlock-Relay BX- is resetted (same time as AX- is resetted) -> You play through the balls -> every time the ball is kicked over to the shooter-alley: the P-Add-Player-Unit-Relay is activated and the Player-Unit is stepped forward (1, 2, 3,4 steps according to "how many players are playing") -> when the last ball for the last player is kicked over -> player-Unit reaches a position -> current flows -> activates BX-Relay. The last player plays this last ball -> looses it -> NOW the Q-Game-Over-Relay is activated THROUGH A CLOSED SWITCH ON BX-RELAY. If BX- was (faulty) NOT activated (or the switch is dirty / mal-adjusted / wire has broken-off): NO Game-Over.

Look in Your pin -> start a game -> see "AX-Relay" is activated -> Reset-stuff is done -> "AX-Relay is resetted" -> then You play the balls. Do this several times -> see "AX-position-A" -> "AX-position-B" -> "AX-position-A". Then focus on "Looking at BX-Relay" -> when You start a new game does the "BX-Relay tries to get in position-A" (it probably is already in pos-A so it may be hard to see).
Play a one-player-game -> take the 2nd ball out -> raise the playfield -> make some points -> put Your finger into the Outhole (simulating "ball is lost") -> the Outhole-Kicker hits your finger -> take Your finger out -> press the "Through-Switch***" on the underneath-side of playfield -> P-Relay will be activated and so the player-Unit will step forward -> NOW look at the BX-Relay -> DOES IT GETS ACTIVATED ? If "No" -> can you manually activate the BX-Relay ? -> then play the last ball -> do you get "Game-Over" ?

"Through-Switch***" - here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4538&picno=24761&zoom=1 -> (in the picture) upper-right corner, below the fuse -> when the ball rolls (not visible because of the apron) -> ball closes this "Through-Switch***".

Pinrepair has a nice video -> http://www.pinrepair.com/ -> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm -> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo -> at "1:30 to 1:42" is shown how these relays change from pos-A to pos-B to pos-A ...
Greetings Rolf

#7 8 years ago

Rolf, you nailed it again. It was the Bx relay. After a cleaning and adjustment, games end properly now. It's good to see the game over flasher. Of course, now that I can play a complete game I'm finding other issues, lol. Guess those will be future threads.

Thanks for your help and the lesson.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-gottlieb-cleopatra-resurrection-game-does-not-end and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.