(Topic ID: 106847)

1977 Eight Ball solenoid and lamp issue

By PBSaltyKracker

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Just bought, fair condition. Solenoid driver board has serious bubbling and bleed thru. Have a Ultimate Driver Board coming to me.

2 issues:

1. Top Alley lights 1/2/9 plus lower play field same player light don't work.
2. One solenoid board issue, having two pops firing repeatedly, but switches seem to have decent gap (bounce/ vibration effect not likely). Can a bad board cause this issue?

And one more??? Does this game have a time out setting? If idle for a few, it resets.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from PBSaltyKracker:

Just bought, fair condition. Solenoid driver board has serious bubbling and bleed thru. Have a Ultimate Driver Board coming to me.
2 issues:
1. Top Alley lights 1/2/9 plus lower play field same player light don't work.
2. One solenoid board issue, having two pops firing repeatedly, but switches seem to have decent gap (bounce/ vibration effect not likely). Can a bad board cause this issue?
And one more??? Does this game have a time out setting? If idle for a few, it resets.

1. Repin connectors on the output of the lamp driver board solves most of the time. Bally's of this era also notably can have socket issues, found often by moving the bulb around or wiggling socket. Assuming no socket problems & known good bulbs, a connector repin is the next step.

2. Certainly a "bad board" can cause this...but it may just be a bad component on the board, and repairable without having to replace. Unless you are wanting to fix, there's no point if you have a new board on the way - unless you just want to have a go at it. What's your level of electronics knowledge and what tools do you have? (DMM,Scope, Logic probe, soldering skills)

3. Resets - start with power supply test/refurb if needed/and then repin. Resets are often caused by failing filter caps for the logic power, located on the driver board. Replacing the solenoid driver board with the Ultimate board should solve the filtering situation, and as in #2 above - with a meter you can check the quality of the power. After that, another common problem is battery leakage causing corrosion on the MPU board. Make sure the batteries are removed, and an alternative solution such as a memory capacitor or off board batteries are used instead.

I encourage reading of the online repair docs and the PinWiki. Chock full of info:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

3 weeks later
#3 9 years ago

Ultimate board did the trick. Not a novice, but my soldering still brings snickers...

ON the solenoid issue, I cut one leg of the little round capacitor (??) and it works fine now. Found a tip on the web.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-eight-ball-solenoid-and-lamp-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.