• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151119_225216.jpg
J1-Rectifier.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Blast! The game will be the death of me. I know you're already longing for a day when "1977 Bally Power Play" threads stop appearing. (I'm equally tired of creating them.)

Problem: All my playfield GI is out. I'm honestly not sure when this happened, though I remember thinking recently, 'gee this game sure seems dark' and flipped on some more ceiling lights in the area. Derp.

Other info:
- GI on the backglass and coin door are good.
- All the other lamps (those that turn on/off during the game) in the playfield are working. (Well, with the exception of a few that already needed some socket cleaning and/or troubleshooting.)
- All the fuses appear intact -- the (6) on the rectifier board, the (1) on the V/SR board, and the (1) under the playfield.

I dug through the schematics a little bit -- I'm still very much a beginner on sparky drawings -- and general illumination is referenced all over the place, so I'm not sure where to start. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks again, in advance....

#2 8 years ago

Have you rebuilt the connectors on the rectifier board? J3 is notorious for burning up at the playfield GI pins.

#3 8 years ago

Look at the schematic for the rectifier board. Connector J1 is for the playfield. Pins 1, 2 and 8 are playfield GI. Reseat all 3 connectors. If the lights flicker and come on that tells you the headers and connectors need rebuilt. Chances are all will need rebuilt sooner or later. These boards are notorious for having burned GI pins on all 3 connectors.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Look at the schematic for the rectifier board. Connector J1 is for the playfield. Pins 1, 2 and 8 are playfield GI. Reseat all 3 connectors. If the lights flicker and come on that tells you the headers and connectors need rebuilt. Chances are all will need rebuilt sooner or later. These boards are notorious for having burned GI pins on all 3 connectors.

I inspected all the pins and connectors and didn't see any signs of burning. I cleaned the pins to be sure it wasn't an oxidation issue.

For kicks (and for your info), I measured the voltage coming off the J1 pins:
1 - 0
2 - 0
3 - 0
4 - no pin
5 - 6V AC
6 - 95V AC
7 - 12V AC
8 - 6V AC

So .... the 0 off 1, 2, & 3 is somewhat disconcerting. What should these values be?

This rectifier board is already somewhat of a Frankenstein, it seems the previous owner(s) had some some work. I did notice on the back, that the solder for pins 1 & 2 were flowed together (see below). I haven't touched the solder on this board since I got it.

J1-Rectifier.jpgJ1-Rectifier.jpg

#5 8 years ago

1&2 are GI return tied to ground 0V fine if soldered together.
3 is not used
4 key
5 is 7.3AC GI supply
6 is 43VDC solenoids
7 is 5.4DC feature lamps
8 is 7.3AC GI supply

Measure AC on pins 5 an 8, DC on pins 6 and 7.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

1&2 are GI return tied to ground 0V fine if soldered together.
3 is not used
4 key
5 is 7.3AC GI supply
6 is 43VDC solenoids
7 is 5.4DC feature lamps
8 is 7.3AC GI supply
Measure AC on pins 5 an 8, DC on pins 6 and 7.

Ok. Measured again, got:

1 and 2: 0
5: 6.5 AC
6: 43 DC
7: 5.5 DC
8: 6.5 AC

So 5 and 8 are ~0.8V low, but could this be within tolerance? If we assume the power coming off the pins is good, where do I check next? I suppose I'll trace the wires from there and see where I go.

#8 8 years ago

Pull the playfield forward, then tip it back so it's leaning against the backbox.

At the "top" of the playfield (part normally farthest from the player) look for the first lamps that get power.

Usually there are some doubled up wires leading to a lamp socket that is the first socket in it's chain.

Look for probably solid Red & Green or maybe Orange & White.

Measure if you have AC voltage across these first sockets. They will be low like the Rectifier Board.

So, I'd start by replacing the connectors on the Rectifier board, and repinning the contacts inside the female half of the connector.

Do them both at the same time, you don't want brand new male pins getting torn up by the old, corroded female contacts.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pull the playfield forward, then tip it back so it's leaning against the backbox.
At the "top" of the playfield (part normally farthest from the player) look for the first lamps that get power.
Usually there are some doubled up wires leading to a lamp socket that is the first socket in it's chain.
Look for probably solid Red & Green or maybe Orange & White.
Measure if you have AC voltage across these first sockets. They will be low like the Rectifier Board.

Ok, checked up there. The first light gets a doubled up red wire and white wire. I went back to connector J1 and tested where the female connector meets the wire; both read 6.3V AC. I went back to that first light; both wires still read 6.3V AC. I followed the wires around and checked all the other GI lights, all are getting 6.3V AC and all are intact.

What am I missing? Is 6.3V simply too low to drive all these? Shouldn't they at least be on, but perhaps dim?

#10 8 years ago

Put a brand new bulb in the first socket.

Make sure you check the bulb with your meter in OHM mode that it's good.

I have seen games that have every GI bulb old and burned out.

2 months later
#11 8 years ago

So I FINALLY got around to working on this machine again. I was a little more motivated recently, because even though I could play it with the GI out, recently some of the game lighting (e.g., bumpers, bonus) started flickering and the chimes were acting wonky, and the game wouldn't play. This issue comes back to some of the pesky corrosion on the MPU board. It was in fairly rough shape with the old leaky battery when I got it, so every once in a while I have to go scrub it down again -- it seems either more corrosion is popping up in new places or I haven't full neutralized it in the old places.

Anyway ... back to the GI problem: I rebuilt the connectors on the rectifier board, with the sweet header pins and trifurcon connectors recommended in Vid's guide. Also got my hands a sweet crimping tool for the connectors ... sure, it was $23, but worth every penny.

To no one's surprise, the first time I fired it up, all the general illumination came back on like nothing had ever happened.

After giving the MPU another scrubdown to remove corrosion, the game worked fine again ... and it was so happy about being back in action, it awarded with with a new high score -- absolutely destroying my previous high of 578,600:

20151119_225216.jpg20151119_225216.jpg

Overall, this is great news -- because I'm hosting a department holiday party in a few weeks, and we're going to have a little pinball tournament, so I wanted all three machines up and running. Sky Kings and Slick Chick are working like champs (as usual, man I love EM), and now Power Play is back in business too.

Thanks again Vid, erichill, and schudel5 for your help!

#12 8 years ago

Awesome you got it fixed. PP is a good game. Good high score too....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-bally-power-play-playfield-gi-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.