(Topic ID: 119635)

1976 Williams Space Odyssey - Good Deal?

By Dirt_McGirt

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06650.jpg
00p0p_fU2z222YWSx_600x450.jpg
00F0F_YuDgC6c1Yl_600x450.jpg
00f0f_5Ucawl5c9PW_600x450.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I came across a Williams Space Odyssey offered at $400, which seems like a good deal to me. For being 40 years old, it looks to be in good condition (see pictures). The seller says it's mostly been in storage over the last 10 years, and the only problem he recalls is a problem loading balls. Once a ball loads it plays fine apparently. Cosmetically, from I can tell from the pictures, it looks great...

My questions: Is fixing the ball loading problem as simple as replacing some sort of ball-loading mechanism, and how much should I expect to pay for such a device? If loading balls is the only problem, and assuming any cosmetic rework is minimal, is $400 a fair price?

New to the forum, and eager to buy my first pin... thanks in advance!

00f0f_5Ucawl5c9PW_600x450.jpg00f0f_5Ucawl5c9PW_600x450.jpg 00F0F_YuDgC6c1Yl_600x450.jpg00F0F_YuDgC6c1Yl_600x450.jpg 00p0p_fU2z222YWSx_600x450.jpg00p0p_fU2z222YWSx_600x450.jpg
#2 9 years ago

the "fix" is likely a misadjusted/dirty switch... which is "free"... you virtually never have to replace a "mechanism" in an em...

price sounds good assuming condition as described...

#3 9 years ago

I would say yes. ( I have a Space Mission) The ball problem shouldn't be too much of an issue. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that will guide you through the repair.

EM's are fun, but be prepared to work on them once in a while.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

I would say yes. ( I have a Space Mission) The ball problem shouldn't be too much of an issue. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that will guide you through the repair.

yup... and plenty of people own one...

#5 9 years ago

Good price for a good game. Nice to see the BG in good shape.

#6 9 years ago

Buy it for sure, fair price, looks like it's in nice shape, the backglass is often flakey on those.

People here will help you get it working again, don't be intimidated by EMs, they start to make sense fast once you learn how they work.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Good price for a good game. Nice to see the BG in good shape.

yea that would sell pretty fast around here at that price, judging by the pics... i know there are at least a couple of people looking for one....

#8 9 years ago

note to the op since it is his/her first machine...

you should "plan" on spending about $100 once you get it... you'll want to do a quick and dirty shop job on it (in addition to fixing any issues)... a flipper rebuild kit, new rubber rings, a couple boxes of bulbs, new ball, and possibly a few other things...

since this is your first machine, you'll also need some tools, like a switch adjustment tool, flexstones, and so on...

and here is some required reading for you... once you read through it, read through it again...

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input everybody! That was all I needed to hear. I'll be picking up this weekend...

This is going to be fun!

#10 9 years ago

I'd pay $400 for that one all day long. It has a nice feature in that swinging target and a rip-able spinner.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Dirt_McGirt:

Thanks for all the input everybody! That was all I needed to hear. I'll be picking up this weekend...
This is going to be fun!

great!!!! welcome to the wonderful world of em pinball!!!

another piece of advice... make room for another...

#12 9 years ago

OK, so apparently the machine came with the house this guy bough and he has no keys. The top cabinet has a key slot which I assume will allow the cabinet to fold down.

Any advice on this would be great. I can only assume I'll want the backglass completely removed before transporting. I've asked the guy to call a locksmith to key the top cabinet as well as the coin door. Anything else I need to consider for transporting?

#13 9 years ago

Ive always found the safest place to transport the glass is leave it in the head. The head removes and does not fold down. Four bolts and some simple connections.

A locksmith is a little overkill, just bring a drill and be done with it.

Good luck, its a fun game. I have the space mission, 4 player version.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Dirt_McGirt:

OK, so apparently the machine came with the house this guy bough and he has no keys. The top cabinet has a key slot which I assume will allow the cabinet to fold down.
Any advice on this would be great. I can only assume I'll want the backglass completely removed before transporting. I've asked the guy to call a locksmith to key the top cabinet as well as the coin door. Anything else I need to consider for transporting?

drill out the locks... don't bother with a locksmith...

the head doesn't fold down... it is held on by 4 bolts to the cabinet... after you drill out the back door lock, disconnect the jones plugs (you will see wiring harnesses running between the head and the cabinet, the plugs at the end of those are called jones plugs), remove the 4 bolts, and lift it off... it will be heavy (although not as bad as a 4 player)...

leave the bg in the head for transport... that is the safest spot for it...

edit: remove the legs too (just in case you hadn't planned on that)...

#15 9 years ago

Where is it? I want it.

1 week later
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Aicfuel:

Where is it? I want it.

Ended up paying $370... delivered. It's in great condition, but nevertheless doing a complete refurb on it. Still trying to diagnose a number of issues... this is my first pin, so it's taking longer than it should. I'll be sure to post before and after shots when complete

Issues:
1. Turns on, but the game won't reset when start button is pressed
2. Immediately starts issuing credits and continues to do so until it reaches mechanical limit
3. Kick-out holes don't kick-out
4. No chimes sound when scoring features are triggered
5. Bonus scores lock up the game
7. Ball does not kick-out to inlane
6. More...

If I could just fix 1 & 2, it seems it would be much easier to troubleshoot the other problems...

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Dirt_McGirt:

Ended up paying $370... delivered. It's in great condition, but nevertheless doing a complete refurb on it. Still trying to diagnose a number of issues... this is my first pin, so it's taking longer than it should. I'll be sure to post before and after shots when complete

Congratulations on your Space Odyssey - you got a good price on a great game! I totally refurbished a Space Mission a couple of years ago for another EM collector friend in the Seattle area. As shown in the photo, it ended up with full LEDs (Cointaker's kit) in it per his request.

Just checking: do you have the schematic and operating manual for the game? If not, you'll want to get these as they'll make working on it A LOT easier.
DSC06650.jpgDSC06650.jpg

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Just checking: do you have the schematic and operating manual for the game?

Yep... both for Space Mission though. If anybody has these for Space Odyssey, shoot me a message.

Eager to get this game working. Still troubleshooting the credit problem...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-williams-space-odyssey-good-deal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.