60%

(5 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image2 (resized).JPG
image1 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

hello,

I recently purchased and have been working on a 76 Williams Space Odyssey. the two player version. the backglass has some flaking, some places worse than other, but not as bad as some i've seen. my question is in terms of value does it make more sense to buy a new reproduction piece of backglass or should i just triple thick spray this piece and leave it be. i bought the machine for 300 and its in perfect working order, the playfield has some minor scratching, and the cabinet is nearly perfect. the new glass cost is 300. keep in mind i'm in this machine to eventually sell it.

image1 (resized).JPGimage1 (resized).JPG

image2 (resized).JPGimage2 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Is that cabinet a light blue or is it just the lighting?

I sold my Space Mission for $500 over the summer. It also had a near perfect original backglass.

Seal it and move on.

#3 7 years ago

somebody did paint the backbox a light blue for some reason.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from hill96:

somebody did paint the backbox a light blue for some reason.

#5 7 years ago

Selling will be tougher with a Smurf backbox. I also almost bought one of the repro back glasses, as mine is flaking badly, until I learned that those weren't made to mask off the backbox lighting properly. So 300 bucks doesn't even get you a proper looking back glass. From what I understand, they don't plan on doing them over

#6 7 years ago

i plan on repainting it white again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-williams-space-odyssey-backglass-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.