I bought this Space Mission on 2/20/20. I'm hoping to be able to repaint the playfield and clear coat. I'm glad I got it in time to keep me busy during the pandemic. So far I've torn everything apart, bagged up all pieces, removed all mylar and everything from the front and most of the back of the playfield.
You can see that removing the mylar pulled up some paint. I tried several methods, but the one that ultimately did the least damage was to hit the mylar with a heat gun for 5-10 seconds and then pull up. If I heated it longer than that, it caused the mylar to shrink and become brittle which also brought up a lot of paint (see the same player shoots again photo). My next step is cleaning the surface to prep it for repainting and some new decals. If you have any tips for cleaning (including the back of the playfield, I'd love to hear them. I'm going to try vacuuming, naphtha, and maybe magic eraser on the front.