Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210102_221900286 (resized).jpg
Aztec_Coin_Unit_(resized).jpg
Aztec_Player_Unit_(resized).jpg
Aztec_Coin_unit-alignment_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello all, just picked up a Williams Aztec in good shape. It had a variety of issues that I've already taken care of via cleaning, spring adjustments, wiring, etc. I've got it almost 100% working mechanically, with this one final issue I'm stuck on (Note, all pics are in the "reset" position of the unit):

Every time the game is turned on, it's in its normal Game Over state (Game over light on, etc). The "2 Can Play" light is always lit. Someone in the past set this up for free play, so the credit wheel never changes. As long as there are credits, all I have to do is hit the start/reset button. The problem is that it always starts a 2-player game. I've tracked this down to the Player Unit/Coin Unit stepper, and I can see what the problem is, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

As seen in the pictures, when the game is reset, the fingers should be on the indicated contacts per the manual. They always reset to the position shown, however, and that's the "2 can play" position. At first I figures it was just gunked up, or weak springs, etc, but it's not. The actual cog/gear has a stop-pin on it that's making contact with the proper stop plate (not shown in pics, but I can try to get one if needed). So when the game resets, the cog spins back to start position and stops like it's supposed to mechanically, BUT it obviously needs to go one more position so the fingers are in the correct spot.

Looking at the player unit bakelite vs. the coin unit it's mounted on, they look misaligned. See pics. It's as if the board should be rotated ever so slightly, and based on the tilt, you can see that straightening it out to be level with the rest of the unit would put the fingers in the proper spot.

That being said, it's all screwed together, and not adjustable unless I feel like drilling new holes in everything, so I have to imagine this is not the problem, but I'm not sure as I have no reference point.

Alternatively, it's possible the cog itself is somehow "off" by one position, but I'm not sure how I'd tell. If I could adjust it one position further, I guess that would allow the stop-pin on it to be further away, and thus let the cog turn one more spot and allow the fingers to align.

Finally, the switch you can see on the Coin Unit side looks like it might be adjusted wrong. Based on pinrepair.com's pic of a '74 Williams unit, I think the post is supposed to be on the other side, and when Player 4 is added, the blade are supposed to be open. Not sure on that though.

Aztec_Coin_unit-alignment_(resized).jpgAztec_Coin_unit-alignment_(resized).jpg

Aztec_Player_Unit_(resized).jpgAztec_Player_Unit_(resized).jpg

Aztec_Coin_Unit_(resized).jpgAztec_Coin_Unit_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

The position of the bakelite board is adjustable, and you won't need to drill any new holes. Remove the center nut holding the spider, making sure you note how the spider is oriented on the shaft! Pull off the spider. Now you can slightly loosen the two hold-down screws for the bakelite board, and rotate the board back into the correct position. Tighten the hold-down screws when the board position is correct, and then re-install the spider.

Note that when the spider is off, it's possible to push the shaft and gear back off of the stepper baseplate, and it's best to avoid doing that because then you would need to re-engage the stuff on the drive side of the stepper. So, to save yourself some hassle, make sure you hold the gear against the stepper baseplate while adjusting the bakelite board.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Ah, excellent, I didn't know that. I saw the screws and assumed they were positionally locked. I'll go give it a try right now.

I've got a new intermittent issue, going to fix the above first, but I noticed that every once in a while, after a ball drains and the bonus is counted, the bonus counter will randomly go up one or two steps before the next ball is played. So it drains, scores bonus properly, then re-adds two bonus steps before kicking out the ball for the next shot. Very odd. Sometimes when it happens, the drain doesn't count the ball as played (it will replay ball 1 again). I'd say it's one out of every 10 or so drains right now. Could be a stuck switch, but I checked/cleaned them all.

#4 7 years ago

Also, you are correct about the switch on the coin unit. It's in the wrong position. The long blade should be on the other side of the pin. The easiest way to correct this is to remove the two screws holding the switch stack, and re-position the switch.

As you already noted, the switch should be adjusted so that it is normally closed. The long blade is pushed by the pin when the 4th player is added, opening the switch.

- TimMe

#5 7 years ago

For the bonus problem, it may be that there is a switch on the playfield that is gapped too closely, and is making contact due to vibration. Check all the playfield switches that add bonus. The problem could be something else, but this is what I would check first.

- TimMe

#6 7 years ago

Okay, so the bakelite is adjusted, two thumbs up there, games now start properly as 1 player, and I can add additional players after that without issues it seems. I believe the bakelite adjustment also fixed some other items that were not resetting properly (likely tied to the reset position of that stepper). Some rollover targets that would score, but not chime, are now chiming. Also, so far, the bonus problem has not reappeared since fixing the other issue, so it's possible it was related. I did re-check, re-clean and re-gap a few rollover switches though, so either one may have fixed it. I'll have to put a few dozen games on it to be sure, but signs are positive.

Quoted from TimMe:

Also, you are correct about the switch on the player unit. It's in the wrong position. The long blade should be on the other side of the pin. The easiest way to correct this is to remove the two screws holding the switch stack, and re-position the switch.
As you already noted, the switch should be adjusted so that it is normally closed. The long blade is pushed by the pin when the 4th player is added, opening the switch.
- TimMe

What's strange is that the game seems to be functioning fine even though that switch is always normally closed right now. I have a feeling if I play a 4-player game, which I haven't tried since fixing the stepper bakelite, I will likely run into an issue. As it stands now, the switch stays closed at all times, which is what it should be for games of 1-3 players. Betting if I add the 4th player, stuff will go south. I'll try fixing it now as you noted and see what happens

Thanks for all the help by the way! I'll post back with additional results, but it's looking like I'm 98% there now.

#7 7 years ago

It's a normally closed switch. The switch is meant to come open after you've got four players on the game. It opens and prevents the game from deducting any more credits if you keep pressing the start button.

#8 7 years ago

Ah, so since this is wired up to be 'free play' and not deduct credits anyway, that's why it hasn't mattered and isn't causing issues. I'll still fix it though... I'd like it to work right if I switch this back to coin acceptance. They wired it oddly for free play, normally it's a simple adjustment, but there's some crazy stuff going on in the coin door area I haven't seen before.

#9 7 years ago

You are correct that with the game set on free play, if the coin unit limit switch never opens then from a circuit perspective, there isn't really any negative impact.

However, having the limit switch in the wrong place creates a potential mechanical problem for the coin unit. The long switch blade, pushing against the pin, will always be putting forward pressure on the gear when the return spring is trying to reset the gear back to the start position (ie, a 1-player game). This could eventually cause the gear to stop on 2 players or more at the start of a new game. If you put the long switch blade in the correct position, it will eliminate this potential source of trouble.

- TimMe

#10 7 years ago

Exactly. It's also hard on the switch blade having the unit reset into it over and over. Better to just fix it and have it working as intended.

I do continue to wonder how this happens. Clay has shown this problem repeatedly, and every Williams EM I've worked on has had the same issue. I can't quite get my head around how the post gets on the opposite side of the switch through normal operation.

#11 7 years ago

Yep, a very common problem caused by rookie repair attempts or by experienced techs who aren't paying attention to what they are doing. The problem occurs when the gear is manually rotated beyond the 4th player position. This will cause the pin on the gear to rotate so far around that the long switch blade slips behind it.

- TimMe

#12 7 years ago

Thanks guys, I fixed it, and adjusted it so it properly opens on 4th player add. Should be good to go. With the exception of the bonus occasionally adding itself before a ball starts, everything seems good. I'll go through all the PF switches tomorrow and re-check the gaps, clean them, etc. Any more issues, I'll pop back on and let you guys know. At some point I'll probably want some help analyzing the crazy wiring/hacking someone did to the coin door area, but that's for another day.

Thanks again

4 years later
#13 3 years ago

I'd like to thank this old thread for showing me that my coin unit on a Williams Stardust had the same issue with the limit switch being reversed (pin above it vs correctly below it).

This is why I love pinside

IMG_20210102_221900286 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_221900286 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Saint Petersburg, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-williams-aztec-player-unitcoin-unit-issue-always-2-players and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.