• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Volley startup (resized).jpg
VolleyReelReset (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

In my Gottlieb 1976 Volley, it seems the AX coil relay doesn't want to reset the score reels such as the 10,000, 1000 or 100. Any ideas? Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

With credits on the machine, you press the replay button and...

does the motor run?
are the score reels turning? Any, all?

#3 4 years ago

YES. THE MOTOR RUNS, SCORE REELS TURN BUT A COUPLE WON'T RESET TO ZERO. IS IT THE AX RELAY?

#4 4 years ago

... so two of the reels spin continuously and two stop at zero?

It's too early to tell what the issue is, a detailed description of the problem will help us narrow it down

#5 4 years ago

Hi again. When I turn the game on, with credits on the credit reel, the higher points reels won't reset to zero. Could it be the AX relay. When I engage it with my finger it will restet the reels to zero. Then the score motor unit in the back box stops spinning.

#6 4 years ago

The score reels stop spinning and until I engage the AX relay they will reset to zero the motor unit in the back box...(lower right side)...then will stop spinning. Does that make sense?

#7 4 years ago

Then clean and adjust your AX relay.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for your expertise.

#9 4 years ago

I just joined pinside, kind of scared to ask questions!

#10 4 years ago

That is what the community is for. Just ask. Be as descriptive as you can.

#11 4 years ago

Here's a good video from Clay's site that shows how to check and adjust the AX relay. The single player adjustment section of the video is around 3:00.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo

The AX switches for resetting the higher score reels (1,000 and 10,000 as examples) are highlighted below in the schematic.

VolleyReelReset (resized).jpgVolleyReelReset (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#12 4 years ago

Here is the Volley reset sequence (Steps 1 thru 4)

Volley startup (resized).jpgVolley startup (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Hi DaMoib. When I press the start button, the S relay energizes but then loses its energy after the cycle. It doesn't stay energized.

#14 4 years ago

From the other thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-won-t-eject-on-my-volley#post-5511930):
====
From a few of your statements above (motor turns briefly, score wheels reset when AX is activated by hand), sounds like the Start (S) Relay is not triggering AX.

When you press the start button, do AX and JX activate?
====

The S relay should only stay active for a cycle... after that AX should keep the motor going.

#15 4 years ago

I got my wife to press the start button. AX energizes but JX doesn't. Score reels won't reset. But if I push AX in "further" they reset.

#16 4 years ago

OK, sorry, the reset sequence wording is slightly confusing - "JX reset" fires, not JX. That clears the 100,000 relay.

Sounds like AX needs some love - check out the video mentioned above and then clean/adjust the AX switches.

#17 4 years ago

Sorry, from your last message you have JX and JX. Do you mean AX fires and not JX?

#18 4 years ago

JX is a latching relay. When the "JX" coil fires, the armature latches on. There's a second coil, called "JX reset" which resets (un-latches) the device.

The video will show the behavior, because AX is also a latching relay.

#19 4 years ago

Thanks. I will to a look at the video.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-volley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.