You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
U-relay troubleshooting (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey all, I've been working on bringing a Surfer back to life. A few notes:

1) I have the schematic for a Surf Champ (4 player version). I presume most of Surf Champ functions the same as the 2 player Surfer, with the exception of the extra stops on the ball stepper and reel-related configuration.

2) I wanted to really test myself with this machine, to see how far I've come with my pin repair experience thus far and my desire to continue trying to understand the schematics and figuring things out & fixing them on my own. I have many of you to thank for how much I've learned so far, through help you've provided on troubleshooting my other machines (seriously, THANK YOU), and I'm really proud of for how far I made it on Surfer -- especially with use of the schematic, with which I've run down issues with the ball stepper, drop target reset, incremental bonus, target/rollover bonus, rollover/light issues, etc. -- but finally, I hit something for which I need to bother you all for help.

So, here's my issue: While trying to run down one issue (drop targets not resetting, which I have since isolated & fixed), I found myself taking a look at Relay U, which (in the cabinet) is identified as "1st Ball Relay". The relay was extra tasty crispy -- crunchy brown label, one terminal nearly melted off, and the wires hanging on for dear life. It was obvious this needed to be replaced.

Fortunately, I had a brand new correct replacement in my box o' parts, so I replaced the relay. Naturally, I wondered what caused it to bring itself to such a toasty death, so I observed its behavior. Here's what it's doing:

-- Turn the machine on: U relay activates & holds.
-- Hit Start button; during the reset cycle the U relay DEactivates.
-- Launch a ball; once the ball trips any scoring switch, U relay activates & holds.
-- U relay remains held on throughout the entire remainder of the game.
-- Once game ends (Game Over), U relay STILL remains held on.

It's no wonder this thing roasted itself to a crisp; it's almost ALWAYS on. Based on its name and past experience (a similar relay I remember observing in a Pro-Football), its behavior seems OPPOSITE to what I'd expect. I'd expect it to activate & hold during the reset cycle, and deactivate as soon as that first ball hits a scoring switch. Hmm.

Anyway, since I'd been doing so well gleaning information off the schematic so far, I thought "let me look at the schematic to see what causes the U relay to activate" .... and then my brain exploded.

U-relay troubleshooting (resized).jpgU-relay troubleshooting (resized).jpg

So ... any thoughts/guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much in advance!

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Hey all, I've been working on bringing a Surfer back to life. A few notes:
1) I have the schematic for a Surf Champ (4 player version). I presume most of Surf Champ functions the same as the 2 player Surfer, with the exception of the extra stops on the ball stepper and reel-related configuration.
2) I wanted to really test myself with this machine, to see how far I've come with my pin repair experience thus far and my desire to continue trying to understand the schematics and figuring things out & fixing them on my own. I have many of you to thank for how much I've learned so far, through help you've provided on troubleshooting my other machines (seriously, THANK YOU), and I'm really proud of for how far I made it on Surfer -- especially with use of the schematic, with which I've run down issues with the ball stepper, drop target reset, incremental bonus, target/rollover bonus, rollover/light issues, etc. -- but finally, I hit something for which I need to bother you all for help.
So, here's my issue: While trying to run down one issue (drop targets not resetting, which I have since isolated & fixed), I found myself taking a look at Relay U, which (in the cabinet) is identified as "1st Ball Relay". The relay was extra tasty crispy -- crunchy brown label, one terminal nearly melted off, and the wires hanging on for dear life. It was obvious this needed to be replaced.
Fortunately, I had a brand new correct replacement in my box o' parts, so I replaced the relay. Naturally, I wondered what caused it to bring itself to such a toasty death, so I observed its behavior. Here's what it's doing:
-- Launch a ball; once the ball trips any scoring switch, U relay activates & holds.
It's no wonder this thing roasted itself to a crisp; it's almost ALWAYS on. Based on its name and past experience (a similar relay I remember observing in a Pro-Football), its behavior seems OPPOSITE to what I'd expect. I'd expect it to activate & hold during the reset cycle, and deactivate as soon as that first ball hits a scoring switch. Hmm.
Anyway, since I'd been doing so well gleaning information off the schematic so far, I thought "let me look at the schematic to see what causes the U relay to activate" .... and then my brain exploded.

So ... any thoughts/guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much in advance!

Yep, thats the operation, the only time its off is at very start of a game. Like so many hold relays of the 60's and coin lockout coils of the 70's, these always need replacing...

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Here's what it's doing:

Quoted from pinhead52:

Yep, thats the operation, the only time its off is at very start of a game. Like so many hold relays of the 60's and coin lockout coils of the 70's, these always need replacing...

Really? That's how it's SUPPOSED to work?

#4 6 years ago

YES, thats the design. If the first ball relay is not closed you CANNOT start a new game! So therefore it MUST be closed even in game over.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

YES, thats the design. If the first ball relay is not closed you CANNOT start a new game! So therefore it MUST be closed even in game over.

WOW! Ok great I'm glad I asked, and hopefully this thread might help others as a reference in the future. I guess it's also great that it's correct, which means I don't have to fix anything with that. I'll keep an eye on it, to make sure it doesn't nuke itself again.

Thanks!!! Just one more issue to go, I'll post a new thread if I can't figure it out...

#6 6 years ago

I had the same question on my surf champ when I was first digging into its startup problems, so I appreciate the thread.

1 year later
#7 5 years ago

Bumping this up, do you guys have a number for this specific relay, thanks

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

Bumping this up, do you guys have a number for this specific relay, thanks

No cir diagram? tisck tisck 7677

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

do you guys have a number for this specific relay, thanks

Here's an extract from the Surfer manual

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
3 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

Yep, I just got a Surfer and was going through the relays and was looking at this relay and mine it totally toasted, the plastic is brown and half burned off the end with the coil lugs.

However it still works by some miracle.

2 years later
#11 3 years ago

thanks SkyKing2301 and others for this thread - I just found I had the same issue on a Surf Champ, and did a search on it here before starting a new thread - glad I did!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-surfer-surf-champ-1st-ball-relay-almost-always-on?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.