(Topic ID: 195868)

1976 gottlieb's surfer start up problems

By Firemarshal

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all! first thanks for taking the time to help. I recently acquired a Surfer EM machine and would love to get it playable again. Me and my fellow firefighters have been watching videos and reading as much as we can to try and get this game up and running at the station. The game upon startup will flash game over and the motor below the play field spins contentiously. The coin mech has been removed and pushing the new game button does not always work. If we manual trip the start new game relay the score motors reset to zero and the ax relay continuously tries to trip? I have a great video of the situation but the this site will not allow me to post links yet. We have gently been cleaning contacts and occasionally the game will fully power up. When this happens the bumpers and flippers work most the lights come on and the 500 reel continually scores along with the chimes. I'm sure there are some contacts in the play field that are sticking but i also believe there may be some problems in the AX relay. Some of the blades look like they have been messed with. We have them correct now "i believe" and contacts are opening/ closing right. i have the schematics on the game but i'm not very versed in deciphering them LOL! Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

You'll need to see what switches are sending power to the score motor... Some easy things to check: Make sure all the score reels are resetting to zero. Check to make sure none of the coin chute switches are stuck closed... Next, check the switches that send power to the score motor. Check the following:

D relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
E relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
G relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
I relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
K relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
O relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
P relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
S relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
W relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
AX relay switch - red/white wire and yellow/red wire
Score motor switch 1C - red/white wire and yellow/red wire

Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly...

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Firemarshal:

the ax relay continuously tries to trip

AX relays are annoying to adjust, if they are the least bit off, they give you trouble.

Quoted from Firemarshal:

We have gently been cleaning contacts and occasionally the game will fully power up

*****If this is your first EM, I'd browse http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#top before I attempted much in the way of cleaning/adjusting. Sometimes you'll do as much harm as good.*****

Quoted from Firemarshal:

500 reel continually scores along with the chimes.

That is probably a stuck playfield feature switch...like a drop target switch making contact or something.

I would start with pinrepair and review typical issues. Old EM's that have sat for a while get "gummed up" in spots from people putting grease or oil when they shouldn't and just from dust etc.

Usually the score reels need cleaning adjusting. Stepper units will need cleaning--they are famous for having a layer of crud on the rivets.

Before you clean any contacts, tighten the switch stacks. Then do your cleaning/adjusting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottliebs-surfer-start-up-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.