(Topic ID: 319156)

*SOLVED*1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ Not Adding Bonus and Lane Rollovers not Scoring

By mstire

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by paulace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3338 (resized).jpg
IMG_3337 (resized).jpg
IMG_3329 (resized).jpg
IMG_3327 (resized).jpg
Surf Champ M relay again (resized).JPG
Surf Champ E relay (resized).JPG
Surf Champ add bonus circuit (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I'm hoping someone can please help me figure out this issue.

Bonus is not incrementing and all of the rollovers and drop targets are not scoring. Rollovers appear to be tied to the bonus circuit.

The game resets nicely and will play through 5 balls and ends as it should.

When I activate a rollover switch the motor will rotate a 1/4 turn and the E relay (500 pt and add bonus relay) pulls in briefly.
All of the relays work when manually activated. The bonus increment solenoid has 17.3 volts to it and ohms at 4.8.

I payed particular attention to the problematic AX relay. The switches on the AX relay are properly adjusted and it snaps in and releases well.

I had this machine fully working before I tore it all apart for full restoration. All steppers gone through and reset to their home position.
I have the schematics but struggle understanding them fully.

Many thanks!

#2 1 year ago

So the add bonus relay just blips quickly and drops out again? If you hold it in with your finger for a cycle, does it score?

Does the bonus unit increment/decrement okay when operated manually?

#3 1 year ago

Correct. Just releases. I can hold that relay in and it doesn't score. Bonus unit operates smoothly up and down.
If I manually add bonus the bonus unit will decrement when the ball goes in the out hole.
it appears I'm not getting a signal to activate the 100 point relay or the bonus increment solenoid.

#4 1 year ago

Going through this same thing on my SC. Reach under the playfield to the sequence bank and trip the relays in order from left to right. the first 5 are the rollovers.

Fantastic

#5 1 year ago

Those first five relays on the sequence bank are for the star rollovers and they work. I mis posted about the 100 point relay not working. The star rollovers are adding 100 points and so are the pop bumpers. It's all of the lane rollovers and the drop targets that aren't scoring (linked to bonus issue).
I'll see if I can change my topic heading to remove the 100 point issue.

#6 1 year ago

So even with E held in it isn't scoring the 500 points either? That sounds like more than just the bonus not advancing, something farther back.

#7 1 year ago

That's correct. As long as I'm holding in that relay the motor will keep running and no points added. When you say farther back do you have any Ideas where I should focus? It looks like the lane rollovers and drop targets score 500 points

#8 1 year ago

Do the 500 pts inner flipper lane rollovers and the kicker hole scoring work correctly?

#9 1 year ago

No, none of the lane rollovers score. The kicker hole is not scoring either.

#10 1 year ago

For that E relay problem, I'd look at the 2 motor switches highlighted in this snippet. The Motor 1C switch has to be closed for any of the rollovers or drop targets to score 500 pts. Make sure that switch is clean and making good contact when the score motor is at rest in the home position. If that switch is closed, any of those drop target/rollover switches should energize the E relay when they close.

The Motor 2B switch is part of of the E relay's lock-in circuit. It needs to be closed until late in the score motor cycle for the E relay to stay energized long enough to give you all 500 points. The E switch in series with it also needs to close when the E relay energizes.

Surf Champ E relay (resized).JPGSurf Champ E relay (resized).JPG
#11 1 year ago

In this part of the circuit, you can see a m/b switch on the E relay that has to send a pulse to the "Add Bonus Unit" coil. So that E relay needs to be working.
Only one of the 5 Motor 1A pulses makes it through the Motor 3C switch and E m/b switch to get to the coil.

Surf Champ add bonus circuit (resized).JPGSurf Champ add bonus circuit (resized).JPG

#12 1 year ago

Thank you paulace for your input. I have spent a lot of time pouring over these two circuits an it make sense the problem has to be there. All of the switch solder lugs are good, no loose contacts on the switches. Switches have all been cleaned with folded over 500 grit sand paper then wiped with an alcohol dampened business card and properly gapped. I’m sure the problem is right there somewhere so I’ll take another hard look at it in the morning and report back.

#13 1 year ago

Good morning If I jumper Mtr 1A BLU/OR to Mtr 3C SL/WH all of the non scoring switches appear to work. They only score 100 points when it should be 500.
Makes me wonder if my motor dogs are in the wrong place. I had the motor apart during my restoration to clean it up and have better access for cleaning and adjusting the contacts. My schematics don't show which position they should be in like previous Gottlieb schematics I've worked on but I was pretty confident I got them in the right place.

#14 1 year ago

Do you mean Motor 3C SL+RED? Not sure where you jumpered to.

Usually, the dogs are all in the "S" position except for the one on Motor 2C - that one's usually "L" Don't know why they didn't write that on this schematic.

#15 1 year ago

Sorry,yes. Slate red

#16 1 year ago

Hmm...not sure what that jumpering proved. I would probably try jumpering across the Motor 2B switch in the bottom of the snippet on post #10. The wires would be MAR-WH and RED+WH. See what happens to the scoring if you do that.

I checked a few other schematics from 1976 and the dogs are as I said in the post above....all "S" except for 2C which is "L".

#17 1 year ago

If I jump mtr 2B mar-wh and r+wh and activate a switch the mtr keeps running without scoring

#18 1 year ago

If I jump mtr 2b mar-wh to E relay red+wh and hit a rollover I get 100 points and bonus increments.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from mstire:

If I jump mtr 2b mar-wh to E relay red+wh and hit a rollover I get 100 points and bonus increments.

It's difficult to know what color these faded and dirty wires are. Looked again and it looks like the last jumper I did was probably sl+red on that E relay rather than red+wh. I can't see where you get a red+wh wire on your #10 post snippet.
The motor dogs are in the correct position.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from mstire:

If I jump mtr 2B mar-wh and r+wh and activate a switch the mtr keeps running without scoring

The fact that the motor runs constantly makes sense - you're jumpering across the Motor 2B switch, so closing any drop target or rollover switch should energize E. There is a switch on the E relay that starts the score motor turning. Then since you've shorted Motor 2B, it can't de-energize, so the motor would keep running.
BUT - you should be getting scoring. Is your E relay energized the whole time the motor is running?

Quoted from mstire:

That E relay coil should have a black wire on one side and a WH-OR wire on the other. Did you jumper to that WH-OR wire? I know colors fade and are hard to read.

#21 1 year ago

If your E relay is energizing, and the switches on it are opening and closing as they should, you should be getting 500 points each time the score motor turns 1/3 of a revolution via this red circuit below:

Surf Champ M relay again (resized).JPGSurf Champ M relay again (resized).JPG

There are only 2 switches in this circuit - the Motor 1A switch and the E relay switch.

#22 1 year ago

If you're not sure about wire colors... what's + mean, what's - mean, does it matter which color comes first... there's a great link that MarkG wrote that will explain things.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-wire-color-trivia

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Is your E relay energized the whole time the motor is running?

Yes

Quoted from paulace:

Did you jumper to that WH-OR wire?

When I jumper to the Wh-Or the motor continues to run.

I just can't get 500 points out of this thing. If I jump mtr 1A red+wh To E relay Blue-Or I get ony 100 points and a bonus increment.
I think maybe I'll pull my bottom board out and put it on the bench so I can have a much better look at it.

Good color explanation by MARKG thanks.

#24 1 year ago

If you can't get 500 pts., I'd look at those 2 switches I mentioned in post #21 - the E relay switch and Motor 1A. Use the wire colors to identify the switches.

If you manually close the M relay (probably in the head), do you get 100 pts. each time you do it?

#25 1 year ago

Switches on post 21

See if I'm doing this right.............
Jumped mtr 1A (red+wh) to E relay blu-or I get 100 points and one bonus.

Jump E relay blu-or to M relay yel-blu-red I only get 1/3 rotation on the mtr

#26 1 year ago

I think you have some confusion about a relay and a switch on that relay on the schematic. The E relay is the coil pictured in the upper left up in post #10. All switches marked with an "E" are switches on the E relay - not the E relay itself.

So in your last post, I'm assuming that you're jumping each of those switches in the red part of the circuit in post #21.

Am I understanding correctly that when you jumpered across (shorted) the E switch, the score motor turned 1/3 rotation? Did you have to do anything to make the score motor turn? When it turned the 1/3 rotation, did you get any points?

Start a game, then go to the back of the machine. If you press the armature of the M relay (100 pt relay) in with your finger or a stick, do you get 100 pts each time you do it? I'm just trying to find out if your M relay is working.

#27 1 year ago

Paulace, I want to thank you for for all the help you are giving me. You certainly have a lot of patience.
I removed the bottom board for a better look but had to walk away as I'm getting frustrated and have to clear my head. I'll start looking it over tomorrow.

My first pic is mtr 1A red+wht and the second pic is the E relay blu-org. By jumping these and activating any rollover I get 100 points and one bonus. This tells us the M relay (100 point relay) is working.

When I jump the same blu-or wire to M relay switch stack (yel-blu-red) I only get 1/3 rotation on the mtr

I hope this makes sense.

IMG_3327 (resized).jpgIMG_3327 (resized).jpgIMG_3329 (resized).jpgIMG_3329 (resized).jpg
#28 1 year ago

Thanks for the clarification. Your first jumpering across the Motor 1A switch proves that the E switch (both in post #21) is working. When you close a rollover switch, the Motor 1A switch is now shorted, and the E switch on the E relay must be closing, so you're getting a single pulse to the M relay. So I guess the M relay is working as well, though I'd still like you to press it a few times with your finger and see if you get 100 pts each time.

So I'm curious about that Motor 1A switch. Motor switches with an "A" on the name open and close 5 times per score motor cycle (1/3 rev.). That switch is supposed to give you 5 pulses to the M relay when the score motor turns AND the E relay is energized (which closes that E switch).

What happens if you jumper across just the E switch and close a rollover switch to start the score motor? If you don't get 500 pts, you may have a problem with that Motor 1A switch.

#29 1 year ago

According to the schematic, jumpering that E switch should be jumpering the BL-OR wire to the YEL-BL-RED wire. It's hard to tell on that picture which is the YEL-BL-RED wire, but hopefully, you can look at the switch and see where the 2 tabs are that go to each switch leaf on the other side of the stack.

Once you've jumped that E switch, start the score motor - either by closing a rollover switch, or just pushing the score motor past the home position - and see if you get 500 pts, or not. If not, there's something wrong with that Motor 1A switch.

#30 1 year ago

I agree with paulace that the 1A switch is a problem. Pitted contacts can’t be cleaned well with sandpaper. I use a metal points file on these switches to get a clean finish. Adjust switch to get the strongest closed connection when activated.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

I agree with paulace that the 1A switch is a problem. Pitted contacts can’t be cleaned well with sandpaper. I use a metal points file on these switches to get a clean finish. Adjust switch to get the strongest closed connection when activated.

Plus sandpaper leaves a lot of extremely non-conductive debris behind.

#32 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Yes, by manually pushing in the M relay I reliably get 100 points/chime every time.
While I have the bottom board out I'll focus on these circuits especially mtr 1A.

I can do a much better job cleaning and adjusting contacts with the bottom board out. L may not get it back in today.

#33 1 year ago

When you get the bonus increment but only 100 instead of 500, does the 100 reel advance at the start of the motor cycle or at the end? I.e. is it quickly incrementing, or locking on until the cycle ends?

Weird that you even get 100, a motor switch provides the five pulses so normally you'd get 500, otherwise nothing. Unless this is just something to do with the jumpering for the tests. It does this 100 point thing on players 2 thru 4 as well?

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When you get the bonus increment but only 100 instead of 500, does the 100 reel advance at the start of the motor cycle or at the end? I.e. is it quickly incrementing, or locking on until the cycle ends?
Weird that you even get 100, a motor switch provides the five pulses so normally you'd get 500, otherwise nothing. Unless this is just something to do with the jumpering for the tests. It does this 100 point thing on players 2 thru 4 as well?

Hey frenchy - I think that in some of his jumper tests, he was jumpering Motor 1A, so it would act as a continuous short rather than 5 openings/closings....1 pulse rather than 5.

Didn't tell me anything about Motor 1A, but it did tell me that the E switch in series with it in post #21, was good since that one pulse made it to the M relay.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Hey frenchy - I think that in some of his jumper tests, he was jumpering Motor 1A, so it would act as a continuous short rather than 5 openings/closings....1 pulse rather than 5.

Okay so with *no* jumpering, if you manually activate E relay (and hold it in if it doesn't hold for whatever reason) it should score 500, or nothing, not just 100, correct?

#36 1 year ago

Yeah, that's how I see things - I would guess he'd get nothing. But we'll find out sooner or later!

#37 1 year ago

Success! Thanks to your unrelenting patience Paulace. While I had the bottom board out I took every switch stack off the motor and recleaned and adjusted all the switches. The switch on 1A was definitely suspect. I filed the contacts and added tension as suggested by pinballdaveh.

I also went through every relay on the bottom board again since I had it out. I know that sounds overkill but I'm glad I did as I found some potential problems.

Everything seems to be working after a quick test with the exception of some lamp sockets that need work and the KS relay is acting up.

I'm going to mark this one solved. Couple pics of the beast I'm about to finish up.

Thanks again to all of you that took the time to reply!

IMG_3337 (resized).jpgIMG_3337 (resized).jpgIMG_3338 (resized).jpgIMG_3338 (resized).jpg
#38 1 year ago

Glad you got it sorted! Man, that's a nice looking machine - if those switches are half as clean as the rest of the machine, you shouldn't have any problems! Have fun with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottlieb-surf-champ-100-point-rollovers-not-scoring-and-no-bonus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.