(Topic ID: 257062)

1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot fires up but then nothing....

By Press57

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Press57.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I just purchased a 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot and prior to the purchase, I played it, everything worked, etc. I moved it and set it up at my home and it powers on, the lights come on, ball is kicked to the plunger.... and nothing. No flippers flipping, no scoring, no bells ringing, no bumpers bumping. If you let the ball go through it kicks back to the plunger for a repeat performance. I am able to advance the score wheels through the relays so they do work and do reset to 0 if I power off and on and then start up a new game.

While I don't have a lot of trouble shooting skills, I have set up several EM Pins I've bought over the years and I know everything is plugged in correctly and as I did the move of the machine, I know it wasn't handled improperly during the move. I called the guy I bought it from and he just shrugged and said it sounds like something simple. That could be but that wasn't much help. It is frustrating as I payed a bit more than usual for this as it was supposedly a complete 100% working PIN with no Gremlins... oh well, let the buyer beware and the plan is not to leave anything for the kids

I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has any suggestions in the hope that it possibly could be something simple. Otherwise, I'll probably have to take it in to a shop about an hour away for a professional look see as I have no real "fix it" skills other than cleaning contacts and checking relays, etc. Any ideas out there?

thanks...

#3 4 years ago

currieddog - I actually did think of that as well (should have mentioned that in my post) but the tilt light isn't on when I power it up and I can get the tilt indicator to come on by bumping the PIN hard enough. I also checked the tilt mechanism in the machine and it looks correct and I can get it tilt through the switch directly. Just to be sure, I disconnected the tilt switch completely and I have the same problem... Thanks for the suggestion.

#5 4 years ago

edednedy- It does not (another bit of info I should have provided). When it kicks the ball to the plunger, no first ball indicator comes on which tells me, it doesn't register that a game has been started.

#11 4 years ago

Drain1 - I attached a picture of the switch I think you are talking about as it is the one directly under the ball trough, right before the shooter alley. It does move freely and is back in the original position after the ball goes through. And to your other question, the playfield posts look good.

switch (resized).jpgswitch (resized).jpg
    #12 4 years ago

HowardR - Thanks for the info, I did buy some Alligator jumper wires based on your recommendations in an earlier post but I think the trouble shooting steps you've suggested are over my head for now. I don't want to do more harm than good. The info you provided could be helpful when I find someone local here that has more skill than me. thanks....

#13 4 years ago

currieddog - I owe you... I had (I thought) triple checked all the jones plugs but I did it again and one small six prong plug was not seated completed and I redid and it works! I feel very humbled by my stupidity but hey, I'm used to it. I was so focused on the bigger plugs, I missed the real issue. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions... I'm sure I'll be back asking for help again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Press57.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottlieb-sure-shot-fires-up-but-then-nothing?tu=Press57 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.