You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_22905-20160925_131450983629797.jpg
tmp_22905-20160925_131350-562241774.jpg
IMG_0397 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hey everyone, I was encouraged to start a new topic in EM Tech as i have learned quite a bit about EM pins and my problem is no longer what i had thought, given how useless coin mechs actually are.

So, heres the update on my Sure Shot:

- i replaced 2 blown fuses
- Reclipped relays onto bank
- i took out the coin mechs as they really aren't needed
- to test functionality of score motor, i shorted the s relay, and the score motor ran indefinitely AND the score reels reset to zero!!!
- Cleaned all switches i could get my hands on from the whack angle im working at in a corner of my garage

Onto the problem:

- when power is on and score motor is running, no other relays pull in, the entire bank is non functional
- Credits return to zero (back box counter)
- pressing the start button does nothing (I think it's because the tilt, hold and reset relay aren't functioning at all)

My other post can be seen here to get an idea of the machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottlieb-sure-shot-coin-mechanism

I'm really hoping i gave enough detail to give a clear picture. I'm thinking of making a video so everyone can see what 'm dealing with first hand and up close...

#2 7 years ago

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

#3 7 years ago

If the score motor of your game is running all the time, it may be stuck in the reset cycle waiting for all of the score units to return to zero. If any of your score units are not at zero, then the problem is likely with a dirty or mis-adjusted switch stack on that score unit.

If all of your score units are back at zero, the game might still be stuck in the reset cycle. There is a zero-position switch on each score unit. This switch is supposed to close when the score unit is at zero. If one or more of these switches is not making good contact, you will get the symptom you describe.

- TimMe

#4 7 years ago

Sure shot has a bonus unit. make sure the switches at that unit are adjusted properly.

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

Is there a coin door Jones plug? I'm thinking if it isn't working, hitting the start button doesn't energize the s relay, explaining why nothing starts?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from icanswim70:

Is there a coin door Jones plug? I'm thinking if it isn't working, hitting the start button doesn't energize the s relay, explaining why nothing starts?

If there are no credits on the game, and the zero position switch on the credit unit is open, the start button will do nothing. You have to close the zero position switch on the credit unit, or place credits on the unit. Then you have to make sure the start button switch is clean and adjusted correctly.

There is a jones plug for the front door.

#7 7 years ago

Game shows 9 credits and a clean start button making good clean contact. im working on moving it to get to the back box to check the zero position switch. In the meantime, is this a jones plug or a sautered piece just holding wires? (It didn't budge when i wiggled it)

IMG_0397 (resized).JPGIMG_0397 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

Funny, as soon as I posted that last one I was able to move the machine. Here is the back box. Not sure where the zero switch is as the credit unit is pretty contained.

tmp_22905-20160925_131350-562241774.jpgtmp_22905-20160925_131350-562241774.jpg

tmp_22905-20160925_131450983629797.jpgtmp_22905-20160925_131450983629797.jpg

#9 7 years ago

What does machine do when you manually trip start. There is a bounce switch on coin door that must be CLOSED for replay button to work. I have seen a wire break in crease where wire go around door. Take a meter and check at the switch and at the jones plug by the door.

#10 7 years ago

Check the second chute relay if all is well with the coin door switch.

#11 7 years ago

So when the s relay is tripped when machine is on, score motor turns one notch. If held the motor will spin indefinitely. All relays work when manually tripped with game on. With the coin door switch, where is it located? I should also mention that on my sure shot, there is a plastic piece on the coin door that makes it unusable when door is open.

#12 7 years ago

Another update. There are 2, possibly 3 dead solenoids in the relay bank. If you look at the old forum I made, the back left 2 relay solenoids are shot and back right one. Could this be a cause?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from icanswim70:

Another update. There are 2, possibly 3 dead solenoids in the relay bank. If you look at the old forum I made, the back left 2 relay solenoids are shot and back right one. Could this be a cause?

How do you know the coils, not solenoids, are shot?

That is a jones plug for the front door, BTW.

#14 7 years ago

Is machine in tilt state after you press start relay and it stops.

#15 7 years ago

Coils are shot cause their ohm reading is zero. No idea how to replace them though.

#16 7 years ago

Did you clip a lead before you metered them? Measuring resistance with both coil leads attached can at times give you a reading of bad when in fact the coil is actually good.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Did you clip a lead before you metered them? Measuring resistance with both coil leads attached can at times give you a reading of bad when in fact the coil is actually good.

Really? Didn't know that. The reason I suspect the coils are cause I adjusted the relay switches but when manually tested the relay doesn't energize and perform its task (I.e lighting the playfield) Amd because it's the hold relay I feel like that can be a huge contributor to the game not starting. I'm in the process of making a video so everyone can see in detail what I'm working with!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottlieb-sure-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.