DSCN6663 (resized).JPG
DSCN6662 (resized).JPG
DSCN6661 (resized).JPG
DSCN6660 (resized).JPG
DSCN6659 (resized).JPG
DSCN6654 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

Picked up a really nice Buccaneer today, one owner since 1978, very low plays. Game hasn't worked in a couple years. When I looked at it a couple months ago, the score motor just ran when started. I noticed the score reels weren't resetting. I manually re-set the score reels to zero and it starts a game. However points don't score and the chimes are working. I pulled each score reel and they will manually move easily thru each cycle. The ball count unit was sticking, I manually moved thru the cycle and reset it multiple times and it seems to be working OK. When it re-sets the button isn't touching a pin on the disc. After the 5th ball, the game does go into "game over", match # appears but the ball gets ejected when it shouldn't.

Ideas anyone?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

However points don't score and the chimes are working.

I don't have the schematic for that one, but check the Jones plugs-making sure that all the pins are nice and clean. Also the sw. on each reel: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#3 4 years ago

Been working on it. I cleaned every Jones plug with a scotch brite pad. Was suggested to check the AX relay. It seems to work properly, cleaned all the switch contacts and they look closed & open as I imagine they should. I have noticed that one pop bumper will score 10 points and the chime sounds. No other scoring occurs from anything. If a game is started with the score reels not at zero, score motor keeps running. When set to zero, it starts a game.

#4 4 years ago

I am having similar issues with a recently acquired Buccaneer.
Right now I'm looking into why start relay does not kick in with credit start button.
Will watch this post and also relate any successes I have with troubleshooting mine.
Regards

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I have noticed that one pop bumper will score 10 points and the chime sounds. No other scoring occurs from anything.

Which pop is it and does it score all the time? That throws things off a bit in my theory for checking this score motor sw, which leads into each of the score units (10s, 100s, 1000s, 10000s) but I would check it anyways.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

This game is one step forward, 2 steps back. I found 2 switch stack screws laying in the cabinet when I brought it home. Found one missing in the suspect pop bumper relay. Replaced that, all pop bumpers working but another relays was buzzing. Found a broken spring in the FS relay. Didn't have the correct replacement but modified one to fit till I can get the correct one. No game switches would score points. Then at start up the 100 point chime would lock on. Disconnected chimes for now.

Decided to check all the switch stack screws and tighten any that were loose. Now the score motor just runs. I have manually set all score reels to zero. Coin switches are open. Good info here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-gottlieb-games-that-the-score-motor-runs#post-5380362

Reading Gottlieb schematics isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

at start up the 100 point chime would lock on. Disconnected chimes for now.

Something else is locked on to cause this and will burn out if not fixed. What's the 100 Point relay (M) doing?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Something else is locked on to cause this and will burn out if not fixed. What's the 100 Point relay (M) doing?

At this point the score motor runs nonstop. The M relay doesn't do anything.

#9 4 years ago

Could be the '0' pos. sw. on a score reel. Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#10 4 years ago

I repaired a Buccaneer last October that had start sequence issues too (among other things). The score motor would just run constantly. The first thing I would do would be to clean every jones plug on your machine and insert/remove it from it's connector multiple times (I know you did this already), then go through and clean & align every switch in the machine. You could probably just focus on just the switches that are related to the start sequence though. By doing this, you can eliminate a lot of possible reasons that it may not be finishing and possibly find a few along the way (loose wires, misaligned switches, dirty contacts, missing switch contacts, and missing switches). Let me know if you need me to take a pictures of the schematic or send you the parts catalog PDF.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

then go through and clean & align every switch in the machine. You could probably just focus on just the switches that are related to the start sequence though.

If you do that, be very careful as there's a good chance you'll create more problems.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

If you do that, be very careful as there's a good chance you'll create more problems.

That would depend on the skillset of the person working on the machine.

#13 4 years ago

Yes progress! I pulled every Jones plug a 2nd time and this time ran a small bottle brush thru every female end to clean them. Also pulled every score reel and cleaned every zero switch. One didn't look closed enough so I adjusted it. Now score motor quit running and points will score. I need to hook the chimes back up and deal with them. For a very low play game (35K) and the immaculate condition I didn't expect this many issues. But I guess sitting unplayed for years, even in a climate controlled basement can cause a lot of issues.

Never got a game with so clean that the factory ink marking were clear, every bulb still a brass base #44 lamp and even the pop bumper caps look new.

DSCN6654 (resized).JPGDSCN6654 (resized).JPGDSCN6659 (resized).JPGDSCN6659 (resized).JPGDSCN6660 (resized).JPGDSCN6660 (resized).JPGDSCN6661 (resized).JPGDSCN6661 (resized).JPGDSCN6662 (resized).JPGDSCN6662 (resized).JPG
#14 4 years ago

Wow, that is really clean

#15 4 years ago

Intact foam on Backglass

DSCN6663 (resized).JPGDSCN6663 (resized).JPG
#16 4 years ago

Cabinet rear. Lowered it a bath mat when removing the legs for transport.

DSCN6665 (resized).JPGDSCN6665 (resized).JPG
#17 4 years ago

Nothing even cleaned yet

DSCN6666 (resized).JPGDSCN6666 (resized).JPGDSCN6667 (resized).JPGDSCN6667 (resized).JPGDSCN6668 (resized).JPGDSCN6668 (resized).JPG
#18 4 years ago

Update. Game will start when all score reels are manually set to zero, otherwise the motor just runs.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Game will start when all score reels are manually set to zero, otherwise the motor just runs.

Guessing that the '0' pos. sw. are not set correctly.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Guessing that the '0' pos. sw. are not set correctly.

The "O" switches were cleaned and are closed at the "O" position. None of the score reels will reset during the start sequence.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

None of the score reels will reset during the start sequence.

'0' pos. sw. have to be making solid contact. Check this:

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#22 4 years ago

I should of been more specific. When I posted none of the score reels will reset, I should of mentioned that they do not cycle at all. If any score is shown on the reels other than "0" the score motor just runs nonstop.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

If any score is shown on the reels other than "0" the score motor just runs nonstop.

Which one(s) of these switches is keeping it running?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Which one(s) of these switches is keeping it running?[quoted image]

I've been cleaning all those 1C switches and now she running! Played 1st game every scoring feature is working.

Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottlieb-buccaneer-issues?hl=cadmium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.