3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 47 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

170D3F2B-D6BB-4AC8-8620-1E27550B58C1 (resized).jpeg
    45D4A107-5CB9-4C8C-A602-AACCDD179721 (resized).jpeg
    4E05EF9F-AFF1-466B-ADE4-8DEEE913C171 (resized).jpeg
    C48AE376-5630-44D0-8D63-D6D81B0A33DB (resized).jpeg
    this-is-the-coolest-thing-ive-ever-seen (resized).jpg
    56893994-0625-4848-AB69-745929A05CFE.gif
    34E68F0C-F615-4CE3-AB6B-8BC5717AAAC7.gif
    72478FEC-D18C-442A-9762-C09D3F0BBD69 (resized).jpeg
    A8C66DE8-3360-456B-BFA1-C7671A0B3968 (resized).png
    F83B3FF2-D2A6-45FE-AAB6-C72E593DEAE9.gif
    F236A959-1DE6-41F5-BFB3-941B8F630251 (resized).jpeg
    743CFBB4-F6F9-4A2D-A133-8251417D3A32 (resized).jpeg
    7940F369-7F8F-4E77-AFDF-E59A5BB0EE1C (resized).jpeg
    578F570F-952F-4420-A302-BD86A8A2C534 (resized).jpeg
    1A6F526B-7E0F-4FFF-9797-0776C490817A (resized).jpeg
    73BAA091-FFD8-4028-9C28-6A152BE17401 (resized).jpeg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 months ago

Art’s lookin good RD...maybe I should use your guys to speed up my Halloween retheme.

#52 3 months ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Swan Song was Peter Grants/LZs record label - the SS image became associated with the band as well, but that was more after the fact than 75/76. I don’t think LZ themselves ever used it as LZ imagery.
    A Zeppelin on the side could have been cool if done properly - or ghastly if done wrong - think of a big long dick sausage on the side ... I just wanted a nice clean simple look for it.
    rd

iam a little younger than you old man.

#53 3 months ago

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all, and thanks to Dave for bringing me in!

There are some killer suggested and feedback here, thanks! Stay tuned for more work-in-progress on the BG illustration.

#54 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

Just an idea...instead of same player shoots again on the backglass...maybe “The Player Remains the Same” or “Player Remains the Same”???

Genius! Done!

#55 3 months ago
    Quoted from AvidListener:

Very cool machine re-theme and these are really neat ideas being posted.
    "No Quarter" seems to have some connection
    Thanks for the thread!

Holy hell, that’s perfect!!

Also, avidlistener you’re in Fort Worth! I’m actually in Lewisville, but claim both Dallas and Fort Worth, myself. I need to make a trip out to Craftcade and check out their machines.

#56 3 months ago

Let’s see if I can make this work (sharing process video with an embedded gif)...

Here I’m collecting my reference photos for John Paul Jones, laying in a rough pose with a soft brush, then removing my photos and re-evaluating the pose (don’t want to be a slave to the reference). Then with a smaller brush I’m tightening the drawing and introducing some more dynamic angles and finer detail. While still the rough sketch phase, this will be the backbone of my final tight ‘ink’ drawing. What I’m going for is a loose and dynamic pose that carries a lot of energy while staying more-or-less true to his likeness.

The beauty of this project with rotordave is that we don’t actually have to run any of it by the band for licensing approval. We can go with our own gut instinct and stylistic preference!

F83B3FF2-D2A6-45FE-AAB6-C72E593DEAE9.gif
    #57 89 days ago

So, while I’m dicking around on holiday, the lads have been busy.

Jeremy has the playfield layout sorted.

I need to print it out and double check it against the PF when I get home.

rd
    A8C66DE8-3360-456B-BFA1-C7671A0B3968 (resized).png

#58 89 days ago

And Brad has got the BG looking pretty freaking awesome ....

It isn’t finished yet but you can see where he is taking it.

“The player remains the same” !

And dragon pants.

Dragon pants.

rd

72478FEC-D18C-442A-9762-C09D3F0BBD69 (resized).jpeg

#59 89 days ago

Backglass looks awesome...very impressive! If I could make another suggestion...I don’t know if you are looking for accuracy or not, but John Bonham never “twirled” or “spun” his drumsticks. Just thought I would let you guys know...keep up the awesome work!

#60 89 days ago

This is absolutely badass! Can't wait to see this one finished.

#61 89 days ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

And Brad has got the BG looking pretty freaking awesome ....

Glass looks awesome so far...likin that all the numbers are in Roman numerals. Staying true to the theme.

#62 89 days ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

Backglass looks awesome...very impressive! If I could make another suggestion...I don’t know if you are looking for accuracy or not, but John Bonham never “twirled” or “spun” his drumsticks. Just thought I would let you guys know...keep up the awesome work!

#63 89 days ago

Sticks swirling like a helicopter

#64 89 days ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

Thanks for looking out! There’s actually a great closeup shot of him doing it in this promo video. Mostly though, thought it helped to have some flourish in the illustration pose.

#65 89 days ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Sticks swirling like a helicopter

Sticks twirling like a motherf**ker!

I think later in their career, maybe he was too drunk to twirl much. He did like a few drinks ....

I love those old concert clips. Check out the audience, all sitting politely like they’re at the movies.

And the low key way they just saunter out to the stage. “Hello everyone...”. No fog. No flames. No explosions. No wall of stacks to the roof, one tiny amp each. Then Boooom! Off they go!

rd

#66 89 days ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Sticks twirling like a motherf**ker!
    I think later in their career, maybe he was too drunk to twirl much. He did like a few drinks ....
    I love those old concert clips. Check out the audience, all sitting politely like they’re at the movies.
    And the low key way they just saunter out to the stage. “Hello everyone...”. No fog. No flames. No explosions. No wall of stacks to the roof, one tiny amp each. Then Boooom! Off they go!
    rd

Haha I was thinking that too! Hardly even nodding their heads.... calm as Hindu cows, as Tyler Durden would say.

Here’s a quick Timelapse on JPJ inks...

34E68F0C-F615-4CE3-AB6B-8BC5717AAAC7.gif
    #67 89 days ago

I stand corrected! As a drummer and studying his work for years I guess I never noticed that he did this in the early years! Definitely something he stopped doing altogether or at least very rarely did in the mid to late 70s which is my favorite era and the era from which the majority of the footage I have seen is from. Thanks to everyone for correcting me and sharing these vintage clips!

#68 89 days ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

I stand corrected! As a drummer and studying his work for years I guess I never noticed that he did this in the early years! Definitely something he stopped doing altogether or at least very rarely did in the mid to late 70s which is my favorite era and the era from which the majority of the footage I have seen is from. Thanks to everyone for correcting me and sharing these vintage clips!

It wouldn’t be Pinside without us correcting eachother, would it? Lol!
    I’m sure there’s plenty of other subtleties to correct in the drawings, all the same.
    Here’s some Bonham inking process, meanwhile...

56893994-0625-4848-AB69-745929A05CFE.gif
    #69 89 days ago
    Quoted from BradAlbright:

It wouldn’t be Pinside without us correcting eachother, would it? Lol!
    I’m sure there’s plenty of other subtleties to correct in the drawings, all the same.
    Here’s some Bonham inking process, meanwhile...[quoted image]

Would it be in poor form to use this as an avatar? I don't want to steal work or lesson the originality of someone's machine.

As a Led Zeppelin fan, I find this retheme fantastic! I'm also a hack drummer, so Bonzo is my focus.

#70 88 days ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Would it be in poor form to use this as an avatar? I don't want to steal work or lesson the originality of someone's machine.
    As a Led Zeppelin fan, I find this retheme fantastic! I'm also a hack drummer, so Bonzo is my focus.

I wouldn’t have a problem with it - I’m sure Brad would see it as a tribute to his work - but he can chime in if he sees different.

rd

#71 88 days ago

Can you post a little bit about how you'll paint/make the back glass? Maybe show some pictures while it's being worked on and what kind of paint your using. Is it possible to create a translite?

#72 88 days ago
    Quoted from trk12fire:

Is it possible to create a translite?

Translite is no problem.

Printing on glass — We are about to find out.

rd

#73 88 days ago

Very well done! I can't wait to see what the playfield will look like.

How is it we have so many lesser bands getting mass-produced pins, but no LZ yet? Licensing issues? I mean, I like AC/DC and Iron Maiden, but they're no LZ.

this-is-the-coolest-thing-ive-ever-seen (resized).jpg
    #74 88 days ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

How is it we have so many lesser bands getting mass-produced pins, but no LZ yet? Licensing issues?

Yeah, it’d have to be.

Remember, Plant has sorta disavowed himself from LZ. Page wanted to do more reunion shows, Plant wasn’t interested.

Let’s face it, they don’t need the money ...

rd

#75 88 days ago

First. I Love the back glass art.

Second, I’ve seen Plant in the last year or so. I was happy to see him perform. It was interesting, but no where near what I would want to see with Plant, Jones and Paige.

#76 88 days ago

Epic!
    Following!

#77 88 days ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

All good! It’ll be tweaked and improved still, but in tiny avatar no one will notice anyway. Thanks for the enthusiasm!

Also, if anyone’s on Instagram I’m posting periodic story updates with higher res timelapses (amongst my other work, of course).

You can follow along at http://Instagram.com/BradAlbright

#78 86 days ago

Holy hell, that’s perfect!!
    Also, avidlistener you’re in Fort Worth! I’m actually in Lewisville, but claim both Dallas and Fort Worth, myself. I need to make a trip out to Craftcade and check out their machines.

Hi, Brad. You are certainly in a great location for accessing both cities!

I also need to check out Craftcade. I have hit the Dallas/Arlington pinball spots, and always with an eye hopeful to find 70s/early 80s games.

Your artwork is very cool, and the Zep pin is such a fantastic package to develop!

#79 86 days ago

All good! It’ll be tweaked and improved still, but in tiny avatar no one will notice anyway. Thanks for the enthusiasm!
    Also, if anyone’s on Instagram I’m posting periodic story updates with higher res timelapses (amongst my other work, of course).
    You can follow along at http://Instagram.com/BradAlbright

Thanks!

#80 86 days ago

Great stuff RD!!

#81 86 days ago

Following this thread and added it as a favorite.

Great work.

Dave

#82 86 days ago

I also need to check out Craftcade. I have hit the Dallas/Arlington pinball spots, and always with an eye hopeful to find 70s/early 80s games.
    Your artwork is very cool, and the Zep pin is such a fantastic package to develop!

Thanks a ton! Appreciate that!
    For 70s/80s pins, you could swing by Regeneration Arcade off of Trinity Mills (north Dallas). While they’re not always properly working, you’ll find a Captain Fantastic, Sinbad, Twilight Zone, Strange Science, Taxi, Fish Tales, Monopoly, Popeye, and a few others. $5 free play on weekdays, $10on weekends.

1 month later
    #83 45 days ago

Any updates? I am enjoying this thread.

#84 45 days ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

Any updates? I am enjoying this thread.

Not really ... got back to NZ 18th January, had 40 people at my apartment for a tournament the next day, then had to fly to Christchurch for the NZ Championships ... now I’m finishing off a full restore on my Scared Stiff which has been 8 years in the making.

I have a vector scan from Jeremy to print up, to check that everything lines up with the old Freedom playfield. Hopefully I can get that to the signwriter this week.

Once that’s done, Brad has offered to add some of his awesome skills to the playfield as well ....

Stand by!

Meanwhile, here’s some Scared Stiff progress shots.

rd

4E05EF9F-AFF1-466B-ADE4-8DEEE913C171 (resized).jpegC48AE376-5630-44D0-8D63-D6D81B0A33DB (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #85 25 days ago

Just to update - got back into it - finally got the printout from the signwriter to check out the alignment with the playfield.

Quite a few things need a little tweaking, so we will measure up and get on to it ASAP.

Pincade is next weekend (7-10 March) so it’s pretty full on around here at present!

rd

2 weeks later
    #86 12 days ago

Further update - the playfield and the scan printout have gone 800km down to Jeremy in Wellington for final correction.

Once the files have been corrected, we can get back onto the artwork.

rd

#87 12 days ago

Have you been to bos pinball lounge? It is a true pinballers arcade. About 30 pinballs, a couple of multicades, air hockey, foosball, food and drinks, beer.

The owner is a moderator here on pinside.

#88 12 days ago

I think I got the wrong part here. It should have been a Les Paul neck! Just need to finish up all the soldering now.

45D4A107-5CB9-4C8C-A602-AACCDD179721 (resized).jpeg
    #89 11 days ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Have you been to bos pinball lounge? It is a true pinballers arcade. About 30 pinballs, a couple of multicades, air hockey, foosball, food and drinks, beer.
    The owner is a moderator here on pinside.

Hi. Thanks for the reminder!

I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting the lounge.

I have played some of Xerico's great games (Atlantis, Paragon, etc.) when they were recently at the mall location, but I need to make it out that way again to see the new place. It looks nice!

1 week later
    #90 19 hours ago

So, the playfield and scans got safely down to Wellington (600 miles away)

Jeremy has marked up the changes required, and will now transfer them to his CAD drawing so we can start on the art.

Meanwhile, I’m about to get Brads backglass printed up, just working through the options on that now.

Pincade really slowed down the progress on this, but now that’s all over and I’ve almost recovered, full steam ahead again!

rd

170D3F2B-D6BB-4AC8-8620-1E27550B58C1 (resized).jpeg
    #91 18 hours ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Meanwhile, I’m about to get Brads backglass printed up, just working through the options on that now.

What kind of service are you using for your backglass? I’m looking at options right now for my Halloween pin.

#92 18 hours ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

What kind of service are you using for your backglass? I’m looking at options right now for my Halloween pin.

Just working through options now, hopefully should be able to put that info up next week. Gotta go visit a few people first ...

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 275.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Magazines/books
    The Flipper Room
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 10.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside