By G-Squiggle

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Captn-Fantastic-Work-18 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

It was probably 1980 or so when my parents bought this machine for my sisters and I. The machine and I are now in our early 40s and I recently had the opportunity to move it from my Moms house to mine ( I never had room before). It mostly works but has some issues and now that I have easy access to it I've decided to tackle repairing/restoring. I've been soaking up knowledge here and on other sites, watching vids, etc and am totally fascinated with the tech. That said, I am obviously a noob and have made a few things worse.

Thinks I've done.
1. The credit unit stepper was gummed up pretty good (it took multiple presses to get it to switch from 1 player to 2 player etc. I took it apart and cleaned it according to the guides i've seen. It took me a bit to get it back together (switch was on the wrong side of the pin) and I also ended up adding one wind to the clock spring because it didnt have enough umph to reset.

2. Two fuse holders had cracked clamps. They seemed to work anyway but I replaced them.

3. Took apart and cleaned bonus unit stepper

Things not working
A. Almost all of the playfield lights arent lit. The only one that is lit is the red "Player shoots again" light. However, anytime you contact any of the 300 point rollover switches the lights come on while the switch is energized then go out again.

B. The credit button resets the game as it should to 1 player mode. However, subsequent presses do nothing. I'm sure I messed up something with the credit unit #1 above but I'm not seeing it.

C. The game never ends, it keeps giving you a ball. I did not do anything with the ball count stepper but it was working before I messed with the other stuff.. Maybe one of the above is affecting it?

Any tips or guidance is appreciated. I'm looking forward to learning.

Schematic -http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/438/Bally_Capt_Fantastic_1062_Schematic.pdf

#2 6 years ago

Hi G-Squiggle
welcome to pinside.
I pick Your "B" - You can start a game for one player --- but You cannot start for 2nd, 3rd, 4th player. See the JPG - schematics are drawn (at least Bally, Williams, Gottlieb): A game has started - so it is a one-Player-Game --- all is resetted and the ball is kicked over to the Shooter-Alley --- NOW, strange to us: The pin is toggled-off and the main power cord is unplugged. "Simple relays pulling" loose current and quit pulling --- steppers and the so-called Interlock-Type-Relays stay as if the pin still would have current flowing.
Interlock-Type-Relays have two coils mounted on the relay - a kind of "Flip-Flop, toggle-stable-toggle-stable" switch(es) --- Your Game-Over-Relay is such an Interlock-Type-Relay.

See the JPG - a game for one player has been started --- "A, B" are closed - You press the Replay-Button and so You close "C" --- You have credits so "D" is closed --- a game has started so "E" is entitled to be open --- as a game has been started the Ball-Count-Unit and the Player-Unit have been resetted in that start-up so "F and H" are entitled to be open --- the Coin-Unit also has been resetted (ready for a one-player-game), the Switch "G" must be closed - this switch does open when we have started for four players --- there is not a fifth player implemented in the pin - the switch opens, we cannot start for a fifth player ...

I would manually step the Coin-Unit up, up, up --- in the last step a switch should open - my "G" - see color of wires --- look in Your pin for this switch - investigate on it. Greetings Rolf

0Captn-Fantastic-Work-18 (resized).jpg0Captn-Fantastic-Work-18 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

On the playfield lights, there might be a short in the circuit. Make sure the playfield Jones plugs are correctly plugged into the main board. Also, check to see if the plugs are clean. You can remove the plugs and then plug them back in to make sure they are lined up correctly in the plug holes.

For the game over issue, check the ball count unit to see if it rotates properly. With the machine powered off, you can manually advance and reset the ball count unit. Make sure it rotates smoothy. Also, check the hub screws on the ball count unit to see if they are tight...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-bally-capt-fantastic-project?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.