Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

testlamp1.jpg
2015-08-26_21.23.19.jpg
2015-08-18_11.01.14.jpg
2015-08-18_11.01.27.jpg
2015-07-31_22.35.44.jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I just picked up a 1975 Spin Out a couple of weeks ago and it is in generally good shape however there is an issue that I have not been able to find anywhere. Here is the issue:

1) Plug in, turn on, insert coin, hit start button.
2) Score resets, lights come on and the score motor spins properly then stops
3) The roto will spin, and all of the gates will activate it properly but none of the bumpers, flippers or ball return seem to want to work. It is almost as if the game doesn't completely reset.

If anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it. I have had it open for a couple of days now with the internet by my side but having trouble finding this particular issue. My guess is that it is a relay gone bad, but not really sure.

The other thought is that it could be an AC/DC rectifier but I'm not really sure how to test it.

THANKS!

#2 8 years ago

Step one, check fuses. (By this I mean remove them from the game with the power off and check them with a multi-meter.) Step two, if you can, check for power at the non-working solenoids. If the fuses are all good and the solenoids have power at them it's not a rectifier problem.

#3 8 years ago

Do you have the schematics?
Are you comfortable reading them?

Generally, power to those coils is switched by one or more switch pairs shown on the far right hand side of the schematic. Perhaps on the S relay...I don't have the schematics for that game. I'd guess that the switch is dirty or maladjusted.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 8 years ago

I have a working Spin Out. If you need me to check anything for you on my game am happy to do it.

G

#5 8 years ago

After the reset completes, does the ball kick out to the plunger?

The ball needs to kick out to the plunger, so that it can close the ball trough switch on the way. The ball trough switch closing causes the Ball Count unit to step once to reach Ball 1.

The zero position switch on the backside of the Ball Count unit then closes, which activates the playfield features (the 6th position switch also needs to be closed).

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for all of the great replies, I will do my best to respond as cogently as I can, knowing that you guys are all rock stars...

A) Checked the fuses and they were all okay
B) not sure how to check the solenoids for power. I would assume DC since power should have gone through the rectifier at that point but what voltage?
C) I don't have the schematics. I found a copy online for $22 so I may break down and get that. I am not a wiz at reading schematics but I might be able to muddle through from my limited Arduino experiences
D) Thanks GPS, I'll let you know!
E) No, the ball is not kicking out. That's another thing that seems to have no power.

Thanks again All!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from montanabrandon:

E) No, the ball is not kicking out.

So this is probably the main problem to debug.

But just to check, if you manually flick the ball over to the plunger, then does the Ball Count unit advance and the game displays Ball 1 on the backglass? And if so, then do the flippers and such work?

If not, then try manually stepping the Ball Count unit once (this is the stepper in the backbox).

Incidentally, there is no rectifier on a '75 Gottlieb Spin Out, and no DC. It's all AC.

Pinball Resource will have the schematic (although the ordering process is not likely what you'd expect; it's 'old school' - call them, pay with a check).
http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html#manaval

(Copyrights are still held and active on the Gottlieb paperwork, so they're not generally available online.)

#8 8 years ago

Okay, thanks for giving me a direction. No, they do not work if I manually flick it through so I will try manually stepping the Ball Count.

#9 8 years ago

I did just try to advance it manually using the bar in the back of the ball count stepper to spring it to the first step which worked. AND if I push the start button it does reset back to before the first position but I am still getting the same result otherwise.

#10 8 years ago

to spring it to the first step which worked.

Worked, meaning the playfield now was working OK?

Have you checked the outhole switch?

#11 8 years ago

Sorry, no, just the ball count stepper seems to be working properly. I will check the outhole switch when I get home.

thanks!

#12 8 years ago

Hi
have you checked "ChrisHibler, post-3: Power to the playfield-switches / bumpers / kickers / coils is controlled by a switch on 1 or 2 or 3 relay" ? The Tilt-Relay and / or "Gtb-AX-Relay" or "Switch-on GAME-OVER-RELAY" (more Relays ?). Want to look in the schema (see post-3) and look: WHAT switch on Game-Over-Relay cuts the "Main Line" ? Greetings Rolf

#13 8 years ago

Also, on the backside of the Ball Count unit is a switch stack with two switches on it. When the unit has stepped once from the reset position, both should be closed. Make sure those two switches have clean contacts and that the switches are in fact closed. The top switch is the "6th position" switch, and it needs to be closed in order for the ball return to kick out, and both need to be closed for the playfield to work.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks, I will check those in a bit as well. I got in late last night and didn't have time so I will run through it all when I get home this evening. Great advice.

#15 8 years ago

Sounds like game over relay either isn't energizing. Might check out hole switch too just in case.

#16 8 years ago

Again, thanks for the help. I'm amazed at how well you guys know these things. When I am taking something obscure apart to look at something that someone else says, "Trust me, it's there." well then color me impressed.

I'll go through and write things down as I go through it.

Outhole switch - I assume that is the switch that is activated as the ball passes to the shooter. I checked the switch and it appears to be functioning normally. Nothing happens, but it is pushing down from the activating wire and making contact. I shorted it jsut in case. Nothing happened when I shorted it so whatever is happening is occurring before that.

Ballcount backside - I pulled it down and took a picture of the backside after advancing it. Does the picture look correct?

How do I check the game over relay?

Rolf - My head is still swimming from your explanation of the procedure. I am thinking that you must be an EM machine yourself. Any chance that you could break it down into dummy steps so that I can understand it.

thanks all!

2015-07-31_22.35.44.jpg2015-07-31_22.35.44.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Hi Brandon
Here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-spirit-of-76-schematic -> post-4 / post-7 they say "Steve Young at Pinball Resource has the rights on Gottlieb papers" from http://www.mondialgroup.com/gottlieb.htm . I strongly advice: Get yourself a schema (and a manual) - because we are not allowed to "publish" copies (I would like to know about "showing a snippet in a forum - YES or NO ?"). I live in Switzerland (not USA) / I do not have a schema of "Spin Out".

When flippers / bumpers do not work: A Switch on Tilt-Relay is "faulty-open" or a Switch on a "Relay involved at the end of Reset-Cycle" is "faulty-open" (((the relay pulls - but the switch is faulty))) - or a relay is "faulty-pulling" (or a relay is "faulty-not-pulling"). OR: a wire has broken-off from / at a "Solder-Lug" / contact-points of the switch are oxidated (no current can flow).

Lets look in schema "Big Deal" (ipdb.org , to see the basic): http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=245 -> schema-E-14 wire "BLACK" comes from the transformer, "C-14" is (also horizontal) wire "YELLOW" (You see the text at "C-2") - the other connection to the transformer.
Relays and units (and switches to control) are in-between "BLACK" and "YELLOW" - they pull when current flows.
Schema-E-15 is a "Switch on Game-Over-Relay", "E-15" is a "Switch on Reset-Relay", E-16 is a "Switch on Tilt-Relay".
(In the schema) To the left of these Switches there are relays / units for "Reset" - to the right of these Switches are "Playfield-Goodies". At "Game-Over" or when You make a "Tilt" or at "Start of a Game - Resetting": Bumpers and Flippers shall not work.

Gottlieb pins are wired somewhat different. When I look at the schema of my "Surf Champ" I would check "Relays faulty pulling / Relays faulty not pulling" and "Switches on relays faulty-open", the relays: Q-Game-Over-Relay, AX-Reset-Control-Relay, H-Tilt-Hold-Relay, (T-Tilt-Relay).
From the schema I would get "information on colour of the wires" and: "Is it a simple-Switch or a (3 blades) Make-and-Brake-Switch" (and: is the "Switch to look at" " one-out-of-3-switches / ...4... / ...7...?).

I like to work (test) witch "Jumper-Cables" - for this kind of testing: SCHEMA IS NEEDED.

Brandon, maybe some pinsider with a "Spin-Out-Schema" tells You exactly where to look - or You must get Yourself a schema.
(I do have a schema to all of my pins - exception: "Freshie": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=954 , so: If somebody (reading here) is a proud owner of a schema "Freshie" - I would like to get a personal message ...) Greetings Rolf

#18 8 years ago

Outhole switch - I assume that is the switch that is activated as the ball passes to the shooter

No, that's the ball trough switch. The outhole switch is the switch that closes when the ball drains and sits in the outhole (aka 'ball return', as Gottlieb calls it on the schematics).

Ballcount backside - I pulled it down and took a picture of the backside after advancing it. Does the picture look correct?

Yes, but that's after stepping it more than once, right?

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on these switches? (Flexstone, or very fine sandpaper in a pinch.) Even though they physically close, if the contacts are dark and covered in oxidation, they also won't make electrical contact. I would suggest cleaning/burnishing those switch contacts next.

If you manually close the outhole switch, the 'O' relay should energize and stay locked on, the score motor should run 1/3 rev, and the Ball Return coil should fire, kicking out the ball to the plunger.

The 'O' relay will release after the 1/3 score motor rev. If you just manually activate the 'O' relay, it should 'stick' on by itself while the score motor runs. If it does not, then that suggests there's a problem with the lock-in switch on its switch stack (which is the switch with the wire that runs to the coil).

The ball not kicking out is one problem; the playfield not coming alive after stepping the Ball Count unit once is another problem. So both need to be solved, and are likely due to dirty switch contacts.

#19 8 years ago

Hi Brandon - hi Dirtflipper
I am confused - is "Spin Out" an Add-A-Ball pin ? You are talking about "Ball Count (Unit)" ? To me the unit (Brandon shows in post-16) is a "Replay-Unit" - one switch to open at "Maximum", two switches to open at "Zero".
Brandon, is Your unit -> here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2286&picno=65241&zoom=1 -> Front wheel of the car -> I see "3". - Is Your Unit such an "Replay-Counter" ?
Or do You show the backside of the "Player-Unit" -> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2286&picno=29707&zoom=1 -> left-bottom-corner -> the bakelite disc Unit ? Greetings Rolf

#20 8 years ago

I am learning quite a bit jsut from this thread. First thing is terminology. Rolf, you are correct, that is the unit that I have. So I guess that is a replay unit that I took a picture of.

The second thing that I am learning is that I need to get the schematics for the machine or else I will most likely frustrate everyone with questions later on when you guys say, "Did you look at the schematic?" Fortunately I will be out of town for a few days so I will order the schematic to stay on everyone's good side. I do have the manual though.

The third thing that I have learned is that pbresource is firmly entrenched in the 90s so I will have to figure out how to get a check to them since I haven't used checks in over three years. Sigh.

So give me a little time and I will report back in a few days after I can get the schematic. Thanks to you all for your help!

#21 8 years ago

DirtFlipper, good points. I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to pull the relays one by one and give them a quick cleaning with a fine grit sandpaper. I will try that as well when I get back.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

is "Spin Out" an Add-A-Ball pin ?

Nope, it's a replay game.

You are talking about "Ball Count (Unit)" ? To me the unit (Brandon shows in post-16) is a "Replay-Unit" - one switch to open at "Maximum", two switches to open at "Zero".

Yes, talking about the Ball Count unit (which has a wiper disc on the front of it). The backside looks nearly identical to a traditional Replay (aka credit) Unit, and does have the same switch stack configuration. The one subtle clue that this is the Ball Count unit is that the 6th position post on the cam is a fixed post (i.e., is not a slotted screw). A traditional Replay Unit cam uses a screw there that can be moved to limit the number of replays to different values.

However, Spin Out uses a 'half-moon' credit unit, so it won't have the traditional style of Replay Unit available for a picture.

Or do You show the backside of the "Player-Unit" -> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2286&picno=29707&zoom=1 -> left-bottom-corner -> the bakelite disc Unit ?

Since this is a single-player game, that is actually the Ball Count unit, not the Player Unit (only the 2 and 4-player games have a Player Unit).

#23 8 years ago

So I guess that is a replay unit that I took a picture of.

Nope, it's the Ball Count unit.

I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to pull the relays one by one and give them a quick cleaning with a fine grit sandpaper.

Only those four switches for now: the outhole switch, and the three on the backside of the Ball Count unit.

For completeness, I'll also mention that there are Jones plugs in the path as well (playfield to score motor board; playfield to backbox), so making sure those connections are clean and that they're fully seated is worthwhile too.

#24 8 years ago

I actually had to go in and look up Jones plugs, but now I get what you are talking about there. Okay so if I understand correctly, my first task is to:

1) check the connections on and clean the contacts for the outhole switch, and the switches on the ball count unit
2) Check the Jones plugs (pull and clean, reseat)

I will try to get that done tomorrow before I take off out of town and report back.

Also, there was a wire that looked to be a ground wire that was disconnected (it went to one of the screws on the door) so I reattached that. I assume that it makes no difference, but you never know - well you guys probably do, but I never know.

#25 8 years ago

I assume that it makes no difference

Not for the problem at hand.

#26 8 years ago

Guys, in that pic provided, is that double switch with the spacer in it missing the outer part of the blade?

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Guys, in that pic provided, is that double switch with the spacer in it missing the outer part of the blade?

The only thing I see missing is the fiber board spacer chunk (which is broken off). The switch blades look OK that I can see.

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

Okay I am back! So I did the following this evening:

1) Clean the contacts on the switches in the ball count unit

2) Checked the sink hole switch, it did not do anything so I cleaned the contacts there as well. Still nothing.

3) Pulled the Jones plugs on the back and reseated them after running a brass brush over them. One of the plugs looked like it had some residual solder on it so I filed that down even with the rest, brushed it and resat that one as well.

So far no change in the behavior at all. But I am hopeful. Fortunately I am under no pressure as this is a fun project for me.

Thanks again! More ideas?

#29 8 years ago

Hi Brandon
You write "so far no change at all" - I assume "all that is written in your post-1 is (still) valid".

Your "Sink-Hole-Switch" - is it the Switch that is closed when the ball is in the Outhole ? (You loose a ball -> the ball rolls between the flippers (Outhole) -> the pin should give a new ball into the "Shooter Lane").

Did You get Yourself a schema ?
I recall my post-17: "When flippers / bumpers do not work ..." ... "I would check ... Q-Game-Over-Relay, AX- and H-Tilt-Hold- and T-Tilt- Relay (words from my Surf Champ schema). Greetings Rolf

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you manually close the outhole switch, the 'O' relay should energize and stay locked on, the score motor should run 1/3 rev, and the Ball Return coil should fire, kicking out the ball to the plunger.
The 'O' relay will release after the 1/3 score motor rev. If you just manually activate the 'O' relay, it should 'stick' on by itself while the score motor runs. If it does not, then that suggests there's a problem with the lock-in switch on its switch stack (which is the switch with the wire that runs to the coil).

Did you try these?

#31 8 years ago

Sorry, Flipper, I finally figured out what you meant by 'O' relay. Yes, the O relay does engage when I push on it and stops firing when I let it go so it does not appear to fire continually.

Rolf, yes you are correct nothing has changed since post #1. I have ordered a schematic so fingers crossed that it gets here soon.

EDIT: I will upload a link to how the mech is working jsut in case I am missing something.

EDIT2: Here it is:

#32 8 years ago

Good, that helps. 'O' is clearly not locking on, so the hold path to it has an open. And to confirm, that 'O' relay does not fire by itself when the ball drains into the outhole, right? That would indicate the open occurs in the logic shared with the hold path.

Does Spinout have an 'A' relay that is an 'interlock' style of relay? (two coils, two armature plates, that click back and forth, locking the other in.) Should be on the bottom board and will look like two relays mounted together at an angle.

If so, my next guess would be that a normally closed switch on 'A' is either not closing or is dirty, preventing the path to 'O' from working. But this path also requires the 6th pos. switch on the Ball Count unit to be closed, so that's still suspect too.

#33 8 years ago

I don't really see a relay like that though I did take pictures of both the bottom and the back plate so that you can see what it looks like in the case that I have missed something.

Also, you are correct, O does not fire by itself when it drains into the outhole.2015-08-18 11.01.27.jpg2015-08-18 11.01.27.jpg
2015-08-18 11.01.14.jpg2015-08-18 11.01.14.jpg

#34 8 years ago

Looks like Spinout has 'AX' instead (which is in the backbox, bottom of that relay bank). (Gottlieb called it 'A' on some earlier games, and placed it in the bottom board.)

Tighten the switch stacks and make sure it's in the unlatched position (the plastic ladder will be up and away from the coil). You can also gently test the operation (with the power off) by pressing each of the armature plates and seeing how it latches and unlatches. Leave it unlatched. Each switch should either open or close as it latches/unlatches.

A switch there needs to be closed when it's in the unlatched position in order to let 'O' activate.

1 week later
#35 8 years ago

Going through it now.

1) Tightened the switch stacks on the AX relay - that has required some adjustment, but it is clicking back and forth well now. I found a video on YouTube of someone adjusting the AX relay and it helped quite a bit.
2) Power on it opens and closes nicely. Here is what the switch looks like in the closed position when I turn the power off on the machine and close it. It appears to me that some of the contacts are off a bit.
3) O is definitely not engaging so I am guess at this point that those contacts are a bit screwy.
2015-08-26 21.23.19.jpg2015-08-26 21.23.19.jpg

#36 8 years ago

I rechecked the contacts and they seem to be okay, one on the back side has contact when the others don't and vice versa. I also went through and hit them with one or two swipes of 400 grit so there should be contact.

#37 8 years ago

I have found using a test light to 'test' open or closed contact of switches to be very effective-sometimes the eye is not good enough.

testlamp1.jpgtestlamp1.jpg

#38 8 years ago

Since that AX is in the backbox, the signal also has to travel through one of the Jones plugs to reach the O relay. You can you your meter (or other continuity tester) and check for continuity back to O.

Another possibility is simply that the coil in O is not working. Could be a wire popped off a lug, or the coil is bad. Have you checked the coil?

#39 8 years ago

Today's update:

I took wayner's advice and used the continuity tester on my meter to check the validity of the relay switches on O and AX. I did a tad bit adjusting and cleaning but nothing too wild.

I checked O coil and it looks fine.

I am going out of town tomorrow but when I return I am going to start the long slow process of checking the continuity of everything starting from AX to O and then everything else. I have the schematic out so I guess I will check things off as I go.

#40 8 years ago

I checked O coil and it looks fine.

Does that mean you checked its resistance, or ran voltage to it, or ?

#41 8 years ago

Actually I just checked the integrity of it. I really am not sure on what to do to check for resistance on it.

#42 8 years ago

You would typically unsolder one terminal, and then measure the resistance across the terminals.

An alternate test would be to run a jumper wire to that coil, bypassing the control logic, just to see if the coil will energize. But that would require understanding just the right spots to attach the jumper wire (and also have an alligator-clip jumper wire handy).

#43 8 years ago

After much continuity testing I may have found the culprit. I will report back in the morning when I have a chance to short the missing connection under the light of day.

I traced the outhole switch back to a jones plug on the back of the machine that seems to be missing a connection. This would affect my machine in exactly the way it is behaving.

Fingers crossed!

#44 8 years ago

Finger uncrossed, didn't make a difference -though I think that was something that needed to be done anyway.

Back to the AX and S relays.

#45 8 years ago

An appropriate question to ask for a new EM owner...

If I hit the relays while it is on and they seem to perform normally should it then run through the startup sequence if it is not doing it automatically? That said, I'm not sure what normal is. Should I take a video of startup to stop?

#46 8 years ago

@Wayner - Was there anything on your Spin Out that jumped out as an issue?

#47 8 years ago

This has been a long thread.
Could you recap where you are on this problem?

Have you tightened all switch stacks?
Have you sanded each of the "Jones Plugs"?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#48 8 years ago

@Wayner - Was there anything on your Spin Out that jumped out as an issue?

Apart from those issues covered in my resto thread nothing specific.
After reading your thread I am a tad confused by information overload, however from what has been stated I would concentrate on the jones plugs connections & the AX relay. As I mentioned earlier I suggest you not rely solely on the 'eye' for contact/non contact of switches particularly on the AX relay. I have found a test light invaluable to get it right. The tolerance either way on the AX relay is often very fine.
Also I have found quite often that past adjustment particularly of make/break switches has realigned contact leaves in a way that makes proper switch adjustment improbable. In these cases it is necessary to get those switch leaves back to 'factory setting' or in other words straight to enable proper adjustment.
As I have mentioned in other threads in any diagnosis I found the start routine set out by Dirt Flipper to be invaluable:

"Maybe the thing to do is to begin at the beginning:
- manually reset all score reels to zero
- manually reset all relay banks
- unlatch any interlock relays
- have a credit on the credit unit
- place the ball in the outhole
- press the start button
What happens?"

Suggest you try that routine to table the result.

#49 8 years ago

First of all I appreciate everyone's patience with me on this. Not only am I learning a lot about the basics of a Pin but I am learning how to read the schematics for them, how to test, what not to do, etc. Therefore this thread has gotten quite bogged down with combinations of me not knowing what I am talking about and people desperately trying to help me.

I have spent about four hours on it today but I am really not frustrated as I am gaining more and more knowledge as I go. Really the only frustration comes from not being able to start my next project until I finish this one.

This video is one of many that has been greatly helpful on knowing how to read the schematic:

Going back to DirtFlipper's startup routine, as suggested by Wayner, I will go through it step by step - now that I understand truly what those things are.

#50 8 years ago

Manually reset all score relays to zero - they are at zero. - Found a disconnected wire on the thousands wheel while doing this so this turned out to be very worthwhile.

Manually reset all relay banks - I will need help here, what does this mean exactly? Might as well explain 'unlatch any interlock relays in the meantime." I think interlock relays are the ones that have to coils on them, correct? So I would let the plastic clip unlock it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1975-spin-out-odd-issue-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.